Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Selections (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Belmont: Sunday, June 18 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139125)

Teach 06-18-2017 07:59 AM

Belmont: Sunday, June 18

“How Did You Two Meet?”: A Father’s Day Story.

Just the other day, June 15th to be exact, my wife and I celebrated our 48th wedding anniversary. To mark the occasion, Lee and I went out to dinner with another couple. They were married about the same time we were. We soon arrived at a local restaurant.

“How did you two meet?” the other woman asked as we sat down for cocktails before ordering our entrees. My wife said, “Walt, why don’t you tell them. Just don’t get too long-winded.”

Well, I began by telling the other couple that I had just rented a furnished studio apartment in the Kenmore Square section of Boston (I was literally “a stone’s throw” from Fenway Park).

Shortly after I moved in – early September, 1968 --- two of my bachelor buddies swung by to see “my digs”. Soon after
they had finished checking over all 250 square-feet (it didn’t take long), I suggested we “scope out” the singles bars in the area. In those late-1960s, there were several “dating bars”. Two were right in Kenmore Square, itself. One was “Lucifer’s; another was called “K-K-K-Katy’s”. There was a third, it was called the “Rathskeller; or simply “The Rat” (we didn’t visit that night).

Well, after some adult libation at each Kenmore Square stop, we headed west on Beacon Street near Park Drive for a visit to Dino’s Lounge. We then decided to have a nightcap at another singles bar at the corner of Comm. (Bostonians never say the full name, i.e., Commonwealth) Ave. and Harvard Street on the Boston-Brookline line.

At this point I said to the other couple, “Talk about fate. Talk about destiny. Kismet. Call it what you will. Had my friends and I arrived a minute or two earlier, or a minute or two later, my wife and I would never have met.”

As I recall, it was about 8:30 pm when we walked into the last bar on our: “Tour du Singles”. I vividly recall there were two women just ahead of us; they were ordering drinks from the bar. One woman said to the other, “Barbara, let’s sit over there (as she motioned to the rear of this tiny “watering hole”).

What will take place next is so out of character that – to this day – I shake my head when I think about it. I consider it akin to an “out-of-body” experience. The next word out of my mouth was “Barbara”. As I uttered the name “Barbara,” my two friends looked at me with total surprise. Astonishment. It was like they were saying: “Was that you, Walt?” In hindsight, it’s amazing what a next-to-nothing dinner and three gin n’ tonics will do to put the quintessential introvert, yours truly, into “the zone”.

Well, the two women, Barbara (not my future wife) and her friend Ann came over to the three of us who were standing about six feet behind them. After introductions and some small talk, I suggested “a mixer” (they had roommates; I had friends) for the following week at my place. It was there, on that occasion, that I would meet my wife of 48 years.

I’ll conclude on this Father’s Day, 2017, by saying that my wife’s been “a saint”. She tells our children (we have two adult children with families of their own) that “she should have known.” My wife adds, “On our second date, your father took me to Rockingham Park.”

Frankly, I don’t know many women who would have put up with me over these many years; but my wife has. And, I’m truly thankful and blessed for that. She’s helped keep our family “grounded”. She’s truly: “My better half”.

So, to all you Dads out there -- however you met your wife or significant other -- I want to wish you a Happy Father’s Day!

Now, let’s nail that Pick-6 carryover. I’ll be back later with my selections. Until then, enjoy the morning; we’ve got work to do.

Teach 06-18-2017 11:52 AM

Race One:
:3:, 5, 8

Race Two:
:6:, 8, 4, 5

Race Three:
:6:, 2, 3, 5

Race Four:
:7:, 1, 2

Race Five:
:12:, 3, 2, 9

Race Six:
:7:, 6, 5, 2

Race Seven:
:2:, 8, 9, 6

Race Eight:
:6:, 2, 1, 3

Race Nine:
:9:, 8, 4, 5

Race Ten:
:2b:, 1A, 8, 5,

Teach 06-18-2017 01:26 PM

:5: is "bouncing"; so is :8:. If I were to throw anyone out it would be the :4:; he looks distracted; preoccupied with the pony.

SkunkApe 06-18-2017 02:02 PM

Happy Father's Day, Teach.

That's a good story.

Teach 06-18-2017 02:02 PM

In Race Two, as I look at the horses warming up, I still like my "paper" choice, :6:; yet the :8: looks good warming up.