Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Racing Discussion (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   The Amazing Stewards Screw Up AGAIN in California. This is a good one. (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139256)

Andy Asaro 06-26-2017 02:33 PM

The Amazing Stewards Screw Up AGAIN in California. This is a good one.

http://www.drf.com/news/purse-hold-a...-winning-horse

Excerpts:

Nick told me he wasn’t notified of the hearing,” Baltas said. “The guy has never had a financial issue, and he’s been in the business for 25 years.

“I was told this slipped through the cracks.

Cafarchia was suspended last Friday by track stewards, but the racing board staff and stewards failed to withdraw Cafarchia’s horse, My Italian Babbo – from Saturday’s eighth race after the suspension was announced.

My Italian Babbo ($27.40) won the one-mile race by a nose over Record Highs.

“It was the perfect storm,” Sawyer said of the oversight.

cj 06-26-2017 02:40 PM

No way they should take the purse money away.

Andy Asaro 06-26-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2188996)

If they don't fire them (at least two of them) there will be an uproar. Incompetents.

dilanesp 06-26-2017 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2188996)

I suspect they will.

The rules are pretty clear in California that a suspended licensee cannot receive purse money.

jay68802 06-26-2017 03:00 PM

It's Official. I am going to apply to be a stewart in Cal. Based on current trends, my 8th grade education and absolute lack common sense make me a perfect cannidate. :rolleyes:

onefast99 06-26-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2189003)
I suspect they will.

The rules are pretty clear in California that a suspended licensee cannot receive purse money.

The racing commission will do the right thing, I agree with CJ they should give the purse monies to the owner. The horse did nothing wrong.

dilanesp 06-26-2017 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onefast99 (Post 2189024)
The racing commission will do the right thing, I agree with CJ they should give the purse monies to the owner. The horse did nothing wrong.

I don't know enough about the facts of this to say what is right and wrong.

But I do know the rule.....

Andy Asaro 06-26-2017 03:52 PM

I would be surprised if this crew stays together much longer. They've been screwing up for years and they're getting better at it.

oughtoh 06-26-2017 03:54 PM

Anyone know who the stewards at Del Mar will be?

cj 06-26-2017 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2189003)
I suspect they will.

Isn't there also a rule that a suspended license can't run a horse in a race? That one seemed to be overlooked. Santa Anita profited from allowing the horse to race. It isn't fair to then penalize the horse for the stewards screw up.

dilanesp 06-26-2017 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2189078)
Isn't there also a rule that a suspended license can't run a horse in a race? That one seemed to be overlooked. Santa Anita profited from allowing the horse to race. It isn't fair to then penalize the horse for the stewards screw up.

Well, Rule 1755 allows a protest by any other owner in the race if the winner had an ineligible owner, and Rule 1760 provides that the CHRB should not pay the purse money if the protest is valid.

I assume one of the owners of the other horses will protest, and then....

cj 06-26-2017 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilanesp (Post 2189098)
Well, Rule 1755 allows a protest by any other owner in the race if the winner had an ineligible owner, and Rule 1760 provides that the CHRB should not pay the purse money if the protest is valid.

I assume one of the owners of the other horses will protest, and then....

Sure, but what is the rule if the stewards allow a runner they shouldn't have allowed to run? The rule should be that if the horse entered the gate without protest, that is it. The stewards were asleep at the wheel...again.

dilanesp 06-26-2017 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj (Post 2189102)
Sure, but what is the rule if the stewards allow a runner they shouldn't have allowed to run? The rule should be that if the horse entered the gate without protest, that is it. The stewards were asleep at the wheel...again.

Well, whether that should be the rule (that you can't protest after the horse entered the gate), the actual rule is that you can protest after the fact.

So the other owners can watch, see what happens, and then protest if the ineligible horse wins. Isn't California wonderful?

Tom 06-26-2017 08:30 PM

Come on guys, cut them some slack.
After, they have so many horses starting everyday, it is a Herculean task to keep track of them all.

:pound::pound::pound:

chenoa 06-26-2017 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oughtoh (Post 2189044)
Anyone know who the stewards at Del Mar will be?

Del Mar Stewards:

DUMB
DUMBER
DUMBEST