Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic - Sports (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   You can't lose this way at the track (basketball disaster)` (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33332)

PriceAnProbability 12-24-2006 12:55 AM

You can't lose this way at the track (basketball disaster)`

I pick five hoop games today. Five-team parlays pay 20-1.

Four of the games win. Fifth game (first chronologically) was Texas, getting 4.

They lost by six.

In OVERTIME!

K9Pup 12-24-2006 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PriceAnProbability
Fifth game (first chronologically) was Texas, getting 4.

They lost by six.

In OVERTIME!

They lost by six after being up by 15 at half!!

cj 12-24-2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

They lost by six.

In OVERTIME!

You should have factored that into your power rating. :cool:

Tom 12-24-2006 10:11 AM

How do you make an odds line for TWO competitors? :bang:
Then lose!

Handiman 12-24-2006 01:18 PM

P&P,

You've been picking horses that lose consistiently enough you have whined about it here on the board. Now you have basketball kicking your butt. Think maybe you should find a different avocation?

Although I must say, it is rather delightful to listen to you whine and post "I quit." After putting money on a future glue factory hall of famer, and within hours, put up a post about you absolutely won't release any of your valuable hidden handicapping secrets so as not to destroy your prices.

So which is it? Are you going to 'Quit' or are you going to remain a handicapping dynamo, selecting losers, whining about it, but keep your handicapping secrets so your price isn't destroyed?

Handiman:confused:

bigmack 12-24-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cj
You should have factored that into your power rating.

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/reposit...hahaha-024.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom
How do you make an odds line for TWO competitors?
Then lose!

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/reposit...ng/lol-045.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handiman
You've been picking horses that lose consistiently enough you have whined about it here on the board. Now you have basketball kicking your butt. Think maybe you should find a different avocation?

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/reposit...crying-022.gif

PriceAnProbability 12-24-2006 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom
How do you make an odds line for TWO competitors? :bang:
Then lose!

This is a quirk in basketball betting, where the favorite can cover the spread in overtime, where if the game didn't go to OT, the dog would have covered. The dog was obviously the right side.

You can get bad racing luck at the track, but rarely will you lose a race just as you were about to win. This is like a horse breaking down three steps from the wire with a 10-length lead, in my case at 20-1 because it killed a five-team parlay.

If I post about my wins, you'll call it redboarding, and the last time I gave out a longshot winner here, I wound up getting flamed and then banned.

cj 12-24-2006 05:09 PM

Well, you won one because a horse broke down, and you lost one because a game went to overtime. Sounds like you are even on the luck scale.

Ron 12-24-2006 11:17 PM

Quote:

If I post about my wins, you'll call it redboarding, and the last time I gave out a longshot winner here, I wound up getting flamed and then banned.

Why do you think we care about your losses?

Valuist 12-25-2006 01:04 AM

I'm not betting basketball now but when I did there was nothing I hated more than overtime. I bet more dogs than chalk, and more unders than overs. The squares love chalk and overs. I'll never forget having a Bulls/Charlotte game UNDER that was way under but went to OT. It was still under after 1 OT. Finally, in the closing seconds of the second OT, it goes over.

IMO, college basketball is one of the tougher sports to bet. Basketball has so many sides that come down to the last minute, and college kids are so unpredictable that their emotions often get the best of them.

PriceAnProbability 12-25-2006 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron

"We?"

Tee 12-25-2006 01:41 AM

Dick Schmidt 12-25-2006 02:24 AM

Anyone who takes 20-1 on a five event parlay is either mathematically challenged or has a death wish. Save up your betting money for a bit and get the word "SUCKER" tattooed on your forehead. Trust me, that's what the bookies see.

Dick

Incompetence is a double-edged banana.

PaceAdvantage 12-25-2006 03:34 AM

Quote:

Yup, that's EXACTLY how it went down.....:rolleyes:

Trax21 12-25-2006 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Schmidt
Anyone who takes 20-1 on a five event parlay is either mathematically challenged or has a death wish. Save up your betting money for a bit and get the word "SUCKER" tattooed on your forehead. Trust me, that's what the bookies see.

Dick

Wouldn't that depend on how historically successful his single game picking percentage is? If he has a 50%, 55% or 60% hit rate? or other? Assuming that his hit rate will continue.

ryesteve 12-25-2006 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trax21
Wouldn't that depend on how historically successful his single game picking percentage is? If he has a 50%, 55% or 60% hit rate? or other? Assuming that his hit rate will continue.

Given any hit rate that's within achievable bounds, you'll do better betting the games individually into a -104 line than you would if you combine them into sets of 5 and play them as 20-1 parlays.

PriceAnProbability 12-25-2006 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Schmidt

Dick

This isn't true of players who have higher winning percentages, since you are parlaying positive ROIs onto each other.

One can also do a round-robin of the five teams for $6 and make about 15-1 if all five win, and even money if four win. This also saves money on days where the record is 2-3, 1-4, or 0-5.

JustRalph 12-25-2006 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Yup, that's EXACTLY how it went down.....:rolleyes:

Wow, you must be magic? You are banned, yet you still post? Who the hell were you before?

Tom 12-25-2006 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron

Why does he think we care about his winners? :confused::eek::lol:

Handiman 12-25-2006 02:29 PM

What winners......he played a 5 team parlay and lost. That's like running and jumping from one roof top to another and all you have to do is clear 5 feet to make it...but alas he only cleared 4 feet. See you at the bottom. SPLAT!! :cool:

Handi

Suff 12-25-2006 02:38 PM

The most important thing you teach a horse player, or any gambler for that matter, is how to lose. This vital lesson should be ingrained in his or her style.

How to win, and how to lose. Lessons 1 & 2.

A perfect example of an improperly trained gambler is Phil Helmut. He learned everything but skipped/missed lessons 1 & 2. The results are self-evident.

This thread has nothing to do with Handicapping and everything to do with poor losing skills.

Cesario! 12-25-2006 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suff
The most important thing you teach a horse player, or any gambler for that matter, is how to lose. This vital lesson should be ingrained in his or her style.

How to win, and how to lose. Lessons 1 & 2.

A perfect example of an improperly trained gambler is Phil Helmut. He learned everything but skipped/missed lessons 1 & 2. The results are self-evident.

This thread has nothing to do with Handicapping and everything to do with poor losing skills.

Agree with you 100%.

Seth

PriceAnProbability 12-25-2006 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handiman
What winners......he played a 5 team parlay and lost. That's like running and jumping from one roof top to another and all you have to do is clear 5 feet to make it...but alas he only cleared 4 feet. See you at the bottom. SPLAT!! :cool:

Handi

Actually, losing in OT with an underdog was the point of the post. There's also nothing wrong with five-teamers, or round-robins so four of five pays off (I'm not looking for 3-2 or worse anyway).

xciceroguy 12-26-2006 12:48 AM

That's nothing. I had the Miami Heat last years chcmpionship game and played the over. Dwayne Wade missed 2 FREE THROWS!!!!!!!! at the end. All i needed was 1 more point to be scored and he missed both!!!!!! Talked to myself the rest of the night............unbelievable.........

PriceAnProbability 12-26-2006 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xciceroguy
That's nothing. I had the Miami Heat last years chcmpionship game and played the over. Dwayne Wade missed 2 FREE THROWS!!!!!!!! at the end. All i needed was 1 more point to be scored and he missed both!!!!!! Talked to myself the rest of the night............unbelievable.........

Suppose you had played the UNDER and lost in OVERtime....that would have been analagous.

Not that what happened to you didn't totally suck!

formula_2002 12-27-2006 07:12 PM

Quote:

They lost by six.

In OVERTIME!

Curious, what were the odds for each individual game?