Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 08-30-2019, 11:49 PM   #31
metro

Best hit was a P6 for 24K.

Best memory though was a race at Keeneland.

Many years ago I worked as an accountant, on salary, for a company in Nicholasville, KY and had some freedom to come and go as long as the work was done day to day, much of the freedom included midday jaunts to Keeneland in the spring and fall. On this particular (pre-simulcasting) fall day I was planning on leaving early to play a 2nd time starter in a MSW for 2 year old fillies.

I was also a go to guy for our company president if he needed an errand done (trips to the bank, taking his Mercedes in for service, picking up clients at the airport, etc.), this day he asked me late if I could pick his son up at school, reluctantly I agreed not wanting to give away my other plans. Was heading out to run the errand when I saw our other company go to guy on the way to my car. Asked him if he could do the errand and he replied "no problem" so I was off to Keeneland....in a hurry!

Get to Keeneland with just a few minutes to post on the race so there wasn't time for any late handicapping or wagering strategy, just winged it wheeling my horse with all in a $2 ex and a $10 wps ticket. Race goes off while I'm still at the window, work my way out to the grandstand to see my horse win by open lengths, and not knowing who to root for 2nd just wait until they hit the wire then turn to the infield tote and see the place horse was 99-1 and a runner I wouldn't have used if I had time to double check my handicapping. Winner paid around $40, want to say the exacta came back around $2500 and the across the board came back just shy of $400. Needless to say my work buddy got a nice gratuity!

Corey Black rode that winner, a 2 year old filly named La Gueriere who would go on to win some Graded stakes on the turf including the Queen Elizabeth II at Keeneland a year later. Thinking this was early 90s.

Last edited by metro; 08-30-2019 at 11:57 PM.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)