Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-25-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
AlsoEligible

Allred has made it clear that he doesn't think anyone will carry on racing at Los Al after him. He's even gone as far as proposing re-zoning plans to turn the land into housing, shops, etc:

https://www.ocregister.com/2016/09/2...the-170-acres/

Quote:
Dr. Edward Allred, 80, the owner of Los Alamitos Race Course and the majority landowner of the property, said he has no immediate plans to close the track but with the declining state of horse racing doubts anyone after him will keep jockeys atop circling thoroughbreds and quarter horses here.

“It doesn’t make any sense for any track, Santa Anita, Los Alamitos, Hollywood Park … to be there in light of property values,” said Allred, now beneath the grandstands in a conference room. “We’d like to do what we’re doing, and so I’m going to continue doing that as long as I can. … It’s unlikely to find a successor who can do the same thing.”

So Allred and other track backers created Measure GG, to prepare for that day when racing leaves. The November ballot item asks voters in Cypress – where the Los Alamitos Race Course actually resides – to rezone the land for a master planned, mixed-use community.
That proposal was ultimately shot down by voters who don't want to build up the community any more than it already is. But Allred was going to make another run at it as recently as last December:

https://www.ocregister.com/2017/12/1...rack-property/

Quote:
Still, owner Edward Allred, a retired doctor, does want a plan in place for the day the sport, which suffers from dwindling fan support overall, just can’t keep going on here. Maybe that day is eight years off, or a decade.

In 2016, Cypress residents rejected his proposal to rezone the course and surrounding property with homes and shops – 51.1 percent cast votes against it. Now, he’s back with a revised development plan that aims to soothe past opponents’ concerns and win at the ballot box.

“I’m not trying to cash out – I don’t want anyone to think that,” [Allred] said. “(But) the day that something happens to me, it’ll be very difficult for someone else to operate.”

Last edited by AlsoEligible; 04-25-2018 at 12:54 PM.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.