Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #4
Dave Schwartz

Geez... maybe I should actually READ the post, huh?

I will tell you what happened to us.

Our software users ALL shared a single DropBox folder, with read/write privileges.

One of the guys got ransomwared and 2 files popped up in our shared folder.

One was a text file explaining that "You've been encrytped, etc." and where to send the money. The other one was an encrypted file .docx file.

I panicked a little, thinking that I was infected (along with everyone else). And at this point had no clue which user was infected.

Eventually, it turned out that everyone except for that single user was clean, but it was still a little frightening. The end result was that the encrypted files are not infected at all.

For us it caused changes. We:

1. Killed the whole shared folder-thing because it only takes a single user who doesn't manage his own security to infect everyone.

2. Updated our own disaster recovery plan to include more frequent backups off physical site. (We just have too much data to do this in the cloud.)

Friends, you need to take this ransomware stuff seriously.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.