Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Peter Berry
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2021, 06:22 PM   #28
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
Most definitely it was, but folks had LA Times delivered. It had entries and believe it was Bob Mieserski who made the picks, I was only about 9 years old at the time with a 18 year old brother. So my picks were just for fun but would listen nightly, little did he or my parents know that i would eventually be consumed with racing.
This was around the mid 70's, by 13 or 14 I was working part time in marketing department for Santa Anita. They hired local kids to man the stations on all the promotion days.

Bob Mieserski definitely rings a bell. He went to the Times after the Herald Examiner closed down. Back in the day the newspaper handicappers had a lot of influence. I was always hoping most did not like the horse I liked. I am definitely envious of you working at Santa Anita as a teenager. I have never lived close to a horse track, first track trip was at 14 my step dad took me to Los Alamitos in 1975. I was immediately hooked as I nailed a $57 winner. My step dad then informed me someone cashing a decent ticket buys a round. It took me over 10 years to exceed that $57 win price, beginners luck at it's finest.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Tuscan Gold VS Catching Freedom