Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 02:10 PM   #604
elhelmete

CJ, I'd be curious about your opinion on something.

My expertise is in broadcast TV and considering my actual job title, I know enough about the technology to be...dangerous. But mostly I hire very, very smart people to handle that for me.

A few years ago one such person was working with a partner using a teeny amount of VC $ to essentially solve a data problem simply by using a camera picture. In other words, rather than set up a complex remote data collection and report system they just use video from a camera, and not necessarily a special camera or under highly controlled circumstances. I was kind of floored, but they chuckled and said something to the effect of, "pound for pound the data we can get from this video is just so superior."

I know you hand time races a lot off of video replay. Based on that hands-on experience, do you think this could eventually be the better way to go, or that it could be done in wholesale and offered as a data product for sale?
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)