Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-24-2018, 10:15 AM   #612
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Pretty sure track labels are supplied by the tracks. I've seen Equibase change it at times but I imagine that isn't something they like to do.

By the way, do tracks with multiple courses ever use different ratings? Can't say I've ever seen that but I've noticed they definitely aren't always the same.

Now for a timing error, R5 at Woodbine Saturday had the 1/2 mile 0.60 too fast.
Craig is correct. The track supplies the label on the board/video. Equibase Chart Callers can label the condition differently in the chart, though that rarely occurs.

Here's an example: At a track recently the dirt track was "fast" to start the card but in the middle of a card it started to rain lightly. When it started to rain, the upcoming race was on turf, which was displayed as "firm" on the track video. There was no disagreement with "firm" being the condition of the course when the race was run. "Firm" was the condition in the chart as well.

Also, before the turf race was run, the track changed the dirt condition to "good" on video. Additionally, either before or just after the turf race (I can't recall) the track was sealed. After the turf race was run the video the track changed the condition to "sloppy." This was correct, and so "Sloppy" (sealed) is what was displayed in the rest of the charts for the day. The track never got to "muddy," which would have been the next condition.

However, had the track video still displayed "good" as the condition following the turf race, the chart for the next dirt race would most likely (75% confidence) have displayed "sloppy" (sealed) and not "good" as on the video.

"Good" would not have appeared in the chart because "good" is a drying out condition. A track can go from some form of wet to "good" but not the other way around. This has been the case as far as I can remember. If anyone wants to know the definitions for dirt and turf conditions, they are on this page:
https://www.equibase.com/newfan/codes.cfm

As for different turf courses having different track condition labels on the same card, I have seen that in New York but not other places.

Regarding the timing error, it is being looked into.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most