Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 07:46 PM   #18
Teach

The Chiefs come “off the starting blocks,” quickly. They average about ten points in the first quarter; best in the NFL. The Patriots must be weary of that “early-lead” propensity. Every man “must do his job!” The Colts weren’t ready. They were totally ineffective in the first quarter. They suffered the consequences. In conclusion: If the Patriots have any chance of winning, it’s imperative that they stay close to the Chiefs in the early portion of game. Otherwise…

I believe the key is to put pressure on KC QB, Patrick Mahomes. How? Change up schemes. Odd-man rushes. Occasional blitzes. Change-up coverages. Put up different sets. Different coverage patterns. In other words, don’t, at all costs, become predictable. The Patriots have to keep the Chiefs guessing. Off balance.

The Patriots must put pressure on Mahomes (the Colts gave him all kinds of time to locate receivers). Mahommes cannot be allowed to “free-wheel” back there. He must be made to rush his throws. There are several KC players the Patriots must key on. Mahomes, obviously, is the key. He’s athletic. He’s talented. He’s brash. Unlike Philip Rivers, he's capable of running. Yet, he’s only played in one post-season game.

Others players are Tyreek Hill. He’s dangerous every time he touches the ball. He can return punts. He’s adept at flanker-reverses (student-body, left), and he can catch the football. Another threat is KC tight end, Travis Kelce. He’s a big target (a favorite of Mahomes). He’s quite capable of gaining yards after the catch.

Damien Williams is another threat. He’s a shifty back who was the KC star in the second half of the game against the Colts. If he runs the same way against the Patriots as he did against the Colts, it may be a long evening for the Patriots. He must be contained.

Sammy Watkins is an excellent receiver. He's capable of making outstanding catches.

On defense, the Patriots must keep an eye on left defensive end, Dee Ford. Very quick. He can prevent a back from getting to the line-of-scrimmage. He’s also an excellent pass-rusher. Another defensive player to watch is interior lineman, Chris Jones; he batted down or deflected several Andrew Luck passes.

In conclusion: I believe the key is get Mahomes out of his comfort zone. His rhythm. It will be no easy task.

Finally, the weather. I believe, subjectively, the frigid temps work in the Patriots favor. I believe it will slow down the game. I would have to believe the football will be both tough to throw and difficult to receive. Playing under the lights under those conditions can make it that much more difficult.

One final note: The Patriots must shut down the Chiefs offense. They must play the kind of game they played in their convincing win over the Chargers. Philip Rivers was pressured 70% of the time.

Next post will be the key players the Patriots will need to play at their best in order to win.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)