Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #22
Teach

Final Thoughts

The Weather: Three days till kickoff. Recent forecasts have mitigated the outlook for extreme cold. Cold, but not arctic cold. Now, KC forecasters are talking about highs in the mid-20s, with overnight lows in the upper-teens. Yet the real-feel temp could be in the mid-teens.

For what it’s worth, I took my morning “constitution,” a half-hour walk. The temperatures here west of Boston were comparable to what they will likely be like at Arrowhead Stadium around game-time - upper-teens. Any exposed flesh – I have no ski-mask – is going to make your face feel it. Any wind makes it feel even worse. I found myself clenching my fists inside my gloves. When I got back to my house, my face was beet-red. Also, it’s much more difficult to walk in these conditions – granted I’m in my mid-70s - yet, I felt like “The Tin Man” in “The Wizard of Oz”. My legs felt like they were shackled. By the way, in December, 2016 the Chiefs lost to the Titans on a last-second field goal. The temperature that day: 1 degree.

The Arrowhead Stadium field: That is the “X” factor. The Unknown. What do we know? There is the possibility of 4 to 8 inches of snow in the metro KC area by noon on Saturday. It’s certainly not going to melt. The only place it will be melting is on the field at Arrowhead Stadium. As someone said, “The warmest place at Arrowhead Stadium may well be the field.” The underground pipes (reminds me of the Roman baths) can be set to a temperature of 60 degrees (I believe the minimum is 40 degrees). But what will the field look like? Will it be slippery? Will it become a bog? Will it become a quagmire? Under the heading of “conspiracy theory”: “Can the Chiefs call down to those who are operating the underground pipes and change the playing-field conditions during the game, or at halftime. The League cannot control that, only the Chiefs. If this sounds strange, some were complaining about how the Minnesota Twins were using the air-conditioning system to affect fly balls. Maybe that was a ploy, maybe not.

Shoes: Cleats, etc., call them what you will, are going to be extremely important. They must provide optimal traction. The Patriots equipment manager may feel he’s running a shoe store. I believe it would behoove the Patriots to get someone on the field sometime Sunday afternoon to assess field conditions. Earlier reports would be helpful. With an underground heating system, you can turn the tundra into a cranberry bog. With the heat of the pipes there will be condensation. Melting. Yet, with the heat coming from below, it probably won’t refreeze. Just get slushy if enough residual snow is on the field.

Patrick Mahomes:
He is the key. He can’t be allowed to get comfortable back there (The Colts allowed him to do just that). The Patriots have to put doubts in his mind. Different stunts. Different sets. Never predictable! An occasional blitz. He must be “encouraged” to take risks.

Sony Michel:
If Sony Michel can run the way he did against the Chargers: “Game, set, match!” He’s a major factor in controlling the ball and the clock. The offensive line must, through their blocking schemes, provide “lanes,” preferably one that a Mack Truck could fit through. Of course, there’s “Jules” and James White.

“Gronk”:
He does an excellent job blocking. If he can add some “icing” (no pun intended) to the cake by catching four or five passes, that would open up, everything. In that case, whom do the Chiefs cover?

“Unsung Heroes”: There are a handful of names. Wide receivers Chris Hogan and Phillip Dorsett can make a big difference. If they can get open and make some catches, that would put even more pressure on the Chiefs secondary. Yet, I’ll put out two names, one on offense and one on defense, that could make a huge difference for the Patriots. First, Rex Burkhead, “The Winchester Rifle,” is a North-South runner. He hits the line hard. He’s capable of carrying tacklers with him. “The Cornhusker” is a punishing runner. He could make a big difference. On the opposite side of the ball, the up-and-coming CB, J.C. Jackson. Bill Belichick calls Jackson, “a steady grinder”. He’s shown improvement throughout the season. He has three interceptions. And then, there’s Cordarrelle Patterson. He’s quick. He can be a factor on “gadget” plays and returns.

If there’s a Chief’s weakness…:
It’s in “their kicking game,” more specifically the “punting game,” i.e., punt protection. The Colts demonstrated that. It resulted in an Indy touchdown. The Chiefs may change up personnel; yet, if they have an “Achilles Heel,” their punt protection may well be it!

Constructive Comment:
Who am I, a guy who was better at chess than football, to suggest a comment to a future Hall-of-Famer? I’ve noticed recently that Tom Brady, although well-intentioned, has frittered away two scoring chances, i.e., field goals just before the half. In one case, Brady was sacked before “he could throw the ball away.” Time ran out. Field-goal range. No attempt. More recently, he threw to a receiver near the sideline who got out of bounds, but the clock kept running. Unlikely circumstance, but another missed opportunity for a field goal. I feel that unless you’re 100% sure you can stop the clock, throw it away. “A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush”. You can only take what you know the game will give you. Sometimes, missed opportunities come back to haunt you.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)