Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 01-23-2018, 09:47 AM   #15
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Right now the problem with solar is storing the energy until it is needed. Batteries are simply not efficient enough. A few years back I attended a lecture where the speaker proposed that the energy be used to extract hydrogen from water. The hydrogen could then be stored until used as fuel. It could be distributed through existing pipe lines. The problem is that not many vehicles use natural gas powered engines.

However, when you burn gasoline in an engine you get carbon dioxide and water. If solar energy (electricity) could be used to force the process in reverse then from carbon dioxide and water you could produce gasoline. I asked a chemistry student if this could be done and he said "Funny you should mention that. I know some grad students who are working on it."

That's an ideal solution. Not only would we be using solar to produce gasoline but we'd be sucking carbon dioxide, the major greenhouse gas, out of the atmosphere as well, killing two birds with one stone: cheap energy plus an end to global warming. I sounds too good to be true so it probably won't work, dammit.
Can't have an end to the global warming scam, too many liberals are making too much money off of it. Not to mention all those third world countries are relying on the modernized countries to subsidize their economies.

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)