Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-22-2019, 05:21 AM   #1
Teach

Aqueduct: Friday, March 22

Race One:

Scarf It Down is dropping two levels. Yet, this gelding’s trainer, Oscar Barrera III, is winless in 26 tries. Barrera is trying to shake up things by putting the blinkers back on. Frankly, the above notations are not reassuring. Yet, I want to look at the glass of water as “half-full”; there are positive signs. First, today’s jockey, Hector Diaz, Jr., has shown improvement. Second, this 6-year old gelding has produced an array of solid morning works. Third, this Candy Ride-bred is back down at a level where he can be competitive. In fact, looking back at his record, the last time this gelding dropped to this level, he won. That victory came last summer at “The Spa”. Two other thoughts come to mind: (1) If the track comes up wet (it apparently has) this gelding should benefit, i.e., Candy Ride, Bertrando breeding. This bay has hit the tote in 2/3rds of his lifetime wet-track tries. (2) If a speed duel develops up front, this gelding could be the one of the beneficiaries. Finally, this is this gelding’s 3rd start off a layoff (I like that handicapping angle). In conclusion, I candidly admit that I have mixed emotions. I’m using this gelding in my plays, but with reservations. I do, however, believe that this gelding is capable of outrunning his morning-line odds.

2 Spartiatis just missed in a low-level claimer in his last; he was 3rd-a neck (this gelding now jumps up 2+ classes). In that last one, this Scat Daddy-bred was “pinched” coming out of the gate. That slow start put this 9-year old behind a cordon of horses. Jockey Hector Diaz, Jr. then moved this Johannesburg-bred to the inside. At the top of the stretch, this gelding was angled to the outside. Yet left-handed whip-urging had this French Deputy-bred drifting out into the 6-path. This gelding did finish with energy, yet he simply ran out of real estate. This aged gelding was claimed out of that one; he now resides in a Jason Servis barn. I might mention that this Johannesburg-bred went off as the prohibitive 2-to-5 favorite in that last race. One thing appears certain: this gelding, off that last effort, is going to attract wagering attention. Personally, I would proceed with caution. At this juncture, I might mention that the aforementioned Servis has outstanding numbers when it comes to “first after a claim” (he also does well w/up 2+ classes). Yet, I ask: “Can this horse get the job done?” He was, as cited, beaten by lower-level claimers. Yes, he had an excuse; he was “pinched” at the start. It should be noted that last year about this time this gelding competed in both the Grade III Tom Fool and the Grade I Carter. “The bug,” Ben Hernandez, is in the irons. I wouldn’t be surprised if this gelding won; yet, I must tell you that I’m leaning in the opposite direction. He may well go “chalk”; yet, I personally believe this gelding will likely be over-bet.

Nolinski has a lot going for him. First, his trainer, Gary Gullo, is quietly having a solid meet. This Bob and John-bred colt has won his last two races under Gullo’s tutelage. Gullo does very well with claim repeaters. The colt’s jockey, Eric Cancel, is becoming more accomplished; he’s sixth in wins in the jockey standings. I might add that this 4-year old appears ready. This Seeking the Gold-bred recently turned in a solid 3-panels work. This colt looks like he’ll be forwardly placed. This Yes It’s True-bred should move up on a wet track. I should note that this colt won out his lifetime conditions with his last victory. At this level, this colt is most capable of hitting the tote.

Malibu Action is another horse who should be headed to the front when the gates unlatch. I believe this gelding can get to the lead. This regally-bred 6-year old chestnut – he was sold at Ocala in 2015 for 300k -- defeated weaker in his last. The question: Can he make it two-in-a-row? I should mention that this gelding was claimed out of his last race; he now resides in a Rob Atras barn. Atras, by the way, is having an outstanding Aqueduct meet. Atras has good numbers with first-off-a-claim, albeit with a limited sampling. My main concern: Does this gelding hook up with Nolinski on the front end? That would diminish this gelding’s chances. I’m not so sure that will happen. Frankly, I’m not quite sure Nolinski has the speed to go with him. Yet I question whether this gelding can carry his speed to the finish line. I should mention that one of NYRA’s finest, Manny Franco, is in the irons. Franco rates horses as well as anyone. The rider-switch here is significant. I believe this A.P. Indy-bred will hit the board. Will he win? In concluding, I should caution that this Crafty Prospector-bred has never won on a wet track.

Stretch’s Stone has faced better. Yet, quite candidly, I do have concerns about this 6-year old “getting” the 6 and ½ furlongs distance. However, I believe this City Zip-bred (Carson City-bred) moves up considerably on a wet track. In fact, the last time this Bustin Stones-bred won was in the slop at Prx. Rajiv Maragh reprises the ride for trainer Bruce Levine. As a footnote: And to think, two years ago, this gelding ran in the Wood Memorial.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)