Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Rut
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 02:02 PM   #15
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
I tend to agree with Thask here. Plus I don't like the cookie cutter, hum drum % approach. It assumes you are on your A game at all times and IMO rarely play. Safety in infrequency. Or that you are willing to go broke and just replace the bankroll and do another set til you do win. I could be wrong about how other players think but I have seen enough evidence to know this is a real phenomenon.

So I come at this from a different direction. I come up with a $ number that I need to wager to be able to make a significant profit from the race. And then I come up with a % of bankroll I am willing to part with for any single wagering day. And that number is 5-8% of the total bank. The proportional numbers of % of bank per bet are not important to me. Only staying within these parameters.

The other thing is don't limit yourself by time or geography. Explore different tracks til you have a feel for them all across the country or even the betting world. After 20+ years in this game I have developed tastes for turf, turf sprints, maidens, and low level tracks. I find you can easily lose on the best bloodstock as the worst. Most longshot winners come from low level racing IMO.

A lot of good advice on here. I have had brief periods where I have stopped and did the refresher course as someone suggested. Or scaled down. It's your sanity and your money on the line. Forget somebody else's bravado with what is yours. Matching their machismo while going broke is only going to hurt you. My second paragraph is how I play. That is my comfort zone. And it keeps me in the game. Over time profits come. That's the goal. I stick with what my stats tell me to do and still swing big on other bets. I get some of each most years.
I agree completely!

When we offer opinions back and forth here, it seems as if we are offering "advice" to each other...and that's the wrong way of looking at our interactions...IMO.

No one here can know what someone else "needs", or what he "should do"...and what works for one person cannot be relied upon to help another. My way of doing things may not be suitable for you...and vice versa. The most that we could do here is relay our own personal opinions based on our particular vantage point...and the hope is that these personal opinions might provide some assistance as we each try to find our own path to whatever we are looking for in this game.

As the Buddha said:

"Here is what I think. If you find that it helps you, embrace it. If not...then leave it alone."

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.