Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Is it Possible?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pktruckdriver
Most of the successful handicappers of our time all started with success in other area's, some wrote books and other had other businessess. I am wondering if there have been any that started with nothing and made it in this business, by handicapping , not selling anything, but by playing his or her picks.

If not then I want to be the first one to do so, and if not then maybe we could share the light on the others you may know who have succeeded in this business and are now very successful.

There are plenty of people making a decent living playing the ponies, this much I am sure of, more than we may think, as most successful handicappers are loner type's and keep the strategies close to the vest, why not , makes sense.

Well I am at a Mid-Life point and have hit rock bottom, but I now have a chance to pursue my dream, "The Horse's", and I feel I have the right people around me to help me get there, but wanted to explore if others were in my shoes and had any advice, as I am definetly open for any and all advice, except for any negative and demeaning advice, of course.

I hope this post is taken the right way and maybe some good can come from it, and not too many ,"Hey stupid what'ya doing , comments", and let a man pursue his dreams and enjoy the ride to success, no matter how long the journey is...

Thanks

Patrick
Patrick,

You don't supply us with enough personal details about yourself, so it's hard to give you "concrete" advice.

You say that you are "at a Mid-Life point and have hit rock bottom". That can be interpreted in different ways.

I can tell you that you are not alone. Many of us have been stuck in jobs that we "hate", and would love to be able to earn our living playing a game we love. Sometimes...life's difficulties target our emotions, and we start rethinking our life, wondering if, perhaps, we are wasting it.

In 2004 I lost my wife of 14 years to a dreaded disease. She was 37 years old...and I was left alone to care for our 4 year old son. Going back to my regular job was unthinkable, because I was afraid of "abandoning" my son at a time when he needed me most.

I, like you, started wondering if it was possible to earn my living by playing this game professionaly. I had been playing this game for many years prior, and my results were pretty good over-all...mainly because of my high level of discipline. "Perhaps...if I took the game a little more seriously...it could be done", I kept trying to convince myself...

I will give you the same advice that I, myself eventually followed.

Don't make life-changing decisions when you feel you are at "rock bottom" emotionally. Give yourself a little more time, and survey your options without being too emotional. If something has recently happened to make you feel like this...understand that, in time, your situation and your opinions may change...

Many of us have a dream of being the next "Andy Beyer" - myself included. Is it possible? Perhaps...

Is it likely?

Well...I guess each one of us has to answer that question for himself...

Last edited by thaskalos; 06-09-2010 at 01:53 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)