Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 11:06 PM   #33
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Look, I get it. There is a brotherhood and that brotherhood has to exist for these guys to survive on the job. However, if the police will not hold themselves to a higher standard, we need a police force to monitor the police.
We had an attorney from HR give a talk to our crew yesterday about harassment in the workplace.

He made a good point that anytime there is a predominately homogenous workforce certain types of behavior and attitudes are going to be institutionalized. This applies to the priesthood as well as a police force or the military.

The way to battle this is to have more diversity in the workplace because this forces checks and balances.

I'm not saying diversity is the only or best solution, but I have to agree with him that when you put all of the same type of people in one place and have them work together for years a culture will form that with attitudes and behaviors that may not always be appropriate outside of that culture.

Protectionism is one manifestation. A code-of-silence is another.

There might even be peer pressure to withhold the truth or to not rock the boat.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)