Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 04:44 PM   #41
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Then learn how to use them. You can't just cite stats from one group without making a comparison to other groups. It's just silly as there's no context. Why don't you post lists breaking down the other draft rounds and control for the number of QBs taken each round? Then talk to me about your misinterpretation of first round QBs. The same thing happens with combine numbers. Do I care if Xavier Worthy ran a 4.21? Not if he can't run routes or catch a football. Teams aren't going to run a streak pattern every down. Anyone remember John Ross? Henry Ruggs? J.J. Nelson? the Renaldo Nehemiah experiment???

There is such a thing as the eye test. Some guys pass, some don't. Fields doesn't. You might be right about this draft class; it might end up looking like 2019 or even 2011. From the tape I've seen it looks more like the 2020 draft though.

I only remember Renaldo Nehemiah out of that group. I would be real curious
what combine skill test was the best indicator of future success per position playing in the NFL. I think bench might be important for O-line and D-line as O-line now can grab and hold. Grabbing and shoving someone out of the way
I would think someone benching a lot would be good at.

Personal experience, I benched a lot back in the day. I got in a fight at the finish line at Santa Anita with some 6'9" 300#+ drunk dude. I have a liberal friend in Cali that will back up that story. As he was talking crap to me, as the cool customer I am, I am plotting strategy for a fight. I was 6' even and a solid 220#, amateur boxer with a solid chin. As I am trying to decide between a head shot (you lose power the further you punch above shoulder height) or a body shot, the SOB swings on me. Major windmill punch, I ducked a punch, for the first time in my life.
After his whiff and with his back to me I gave him a shove, he went flying to the ground and collapsed a couple lawn chairs. He did not get up so I just walked away. I think no way in hell would I had been able to do that if I was not good on the bench. Same thing with college football, pushing people out of the way is just like benching.

I will say the bench is the most important combine event. I kind of wished back in the day I would have tried to see how many times I could put up 225. I played HS and College football before the combine was installed.
225 was just a warm up weight.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Which horse do you like most
Dornoch - 67.74%
42 Votes
Track Phantom - 32.26%
20 Votes
Total Votes: 62
This poll is closed.