Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 03-08-2024, 01:27 PM   #14
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post

Btw your last sentence is so true. Opportunities can pop up at the strangest times in this game (races we don’t like, cards we are not crazy about, we have been getting our head handed to us….) and a lot of times we fail to fully capitalize because we are not in the right state of mind.
Every year when Mnr goes down in Dec, I find myself chomping at the bit to begin betting races. Having for eight months been denied the option of wagering, I eat it, breathe it, think it and live it. Long winter afternoons spent transfixed by the homing beacon of one-man monitors in dark, semi- abandoned caverns feels natural and appropriate, like a sacred ritual.

But when the weather warms and I get invitations to golf, some instinct pulls me away from those monitors-like a migratory bird feeling a northward tug.

At that point my concentration wanes and I miss things I should catch. And not all the king's horses nor all the kings men can quite put my focus together again. I could almost SWEAR that my luck also dissipates with the onset of spring.

There is just something in me, perhaps since mnr dropped winter racing, that longs for and romanticizes thoroughbred sport conducted against a cold, harsh backdrop. And that setting heightens and sustains my focus.

Last edited by mountainman; 03-08-2024 at 01:32 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)