Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 06:27 AM   #1
Teach

Aqueduct: Wednesday, April 10

Race One:

FINAL SAY had a troubled trip in his last on March 10, a one-mile route on a sloppy track. In that one, this highly-priced Medaglia d’Oro-bred colt bobbled slightly at the start (he was later lightly bumped) and he was also steadied. In addition, throughout the race, this colt’s jockey, Jose Lezcano, appeared to be having his hands full. Left-handed whip. Right-handed whip. Inside. Outside. Lezcano seemed stymied at every turn as he tried to put this colt into a position to make a move. At the top of the stretch, as he raced wide, this colt was blocked by Orbed (entered in today’s race). Lezcano eventually took this 3-year old bay colt to the inside. But, by then, it was too late. This Holy Bull-bred finished 4th; he was just edged out for 3rd place. Today, the colt’s trainer, Todd Pletcher, adds blinkers. That might help keep this Holy Princess-bred focused. By the way, the broodmare, Holy Princess, had 8 winners and 3 stakes winners from 12 starters. The aforementioned Pletcher does exceptionally well with horses making their second route start. Johnny V. is in the irons. I look for improvement.

SAMARONTI hardly “raised a gallop” in his only pari-mutuel start. This highly-priced ($725k at Keeneland Sales, 2017) Violence-bred colt languished near the rear of the field throughout much of that large-field race. Yet, I’m willing to give this Medaglia d’Oro-bred colt “a mulligan”. I believe this 3-year old has the potential to make a marked improvement off his initial dismal effort. I’m curious as to what this colt goes off at? That might provide a clue. One note of caution: This Harlan’s Holiday-bred hasn’t raced since that initial try in late-January at Gulfstream. Yet this colt’s most recent morning work was good. The pride of Mechanicsville, NY, Chad Brown, trains. Manny Franco is the pilot.

3 Tiz Morning finished at tiring 6th in that previously cited “Erlich race” back on March 10. I do not view this Tiznow-bred 4-year old gelding as a “win-candidate”; yet to earn a minor award is not completely out of the question. As I look over his “lines,” I believe he didn’t take well to the sloppy racetrack in his last. However, it should be noted in his two prior races in this MSW company, he did finish 2nd. I believe that racing on a fast track will move this 4-year old up. How far up…that is the question? Dylan Davis in the irons for trainer Ed Davis.

ORBED finished 2nd in that “Erlich race”. This highly-priced ($525k at Fasig-Tipton, 2017) Malibu Moon-bred went off as the chalk in that one. This gelding appeared to show an affinity for wet-track racing conditions. Yet, today, this Dixie Union-bred will likely to catch a fast track. What bearing that will have I’m not sure. Oh, I do have one vexing concern: “Is today’s one-mile race a ‘Bridge Too Far’?” 7-panels and “sprints” would appear to be this gelding’s ideal distances. Personally, I’m not inclined to see this Orb-bred as a “win candidate”. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the stirrups for Rudy Rodriguez.

SKYWRITING ran a better race than his 5th place finish at GP about one month ago would appear to indicate. Yet, I believe this highly-priced colt may well be challenged to “get” the one-mile distance. In his last, this Super Saver-bred was bumped at the start; yet he then ranged up on the outside to quickly get into contention. On the back-straight, this colt was sitting 3rd among the front-three horses; they were putting up quarter-horse-like fractions. This Maria’s Mon-bred was moving quickly on the outside as the horses reached the far turn; yet as the field turned into the stretch, this Sky Mesa-bred appeared to be running out of gas. This colt would end up fading to 5th. This Jimmy Jerkens trainee (Jerkens does very well with: 1st at a route) may have benefitted from that Gulfstream race, his initial start. As cited, my handicapping conundrum centers on this colt’s ability to handle the one-mile distance. I ask: “Was it the distance itself or was it the fact that he was hard-used in the early stages of the race? I would lean toward the former, yet I wouldn’t dismiss the latter. This bay colt may surprise. Jose Lezcano has the call. I would label this colt: “a sleeper”.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)