Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 04-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #4
Teach

Race Four:

GOT THE GIST broke her maiden in a one-mile route on the main a few weeks ago against lesser. I’m a wee bit skeptical about this mare’s turf pedigree (I consider it marginal). This Looking at Lucky-bred mare has had three lifetime tries on the lawn; she has just one 3rd place finish. Further, I’m also skeptical about this mare’s ability to handle the mile and a “teenth” distance. A minor award? Kendrick Carmouche is in the irons for trainer Danny Gargan. Gargan does well with maiden winners of their last race.

3 Third Card Down looks more like a sprinter than a router. I’m inclined to dismiss her chances.

4 Party in the Sand has never raced on the lawn. I see this Street Cry-bred filly more of a sprinter than a router. I can offer little hope for her chances in this race.

5 Candy Boss ships in from Prx where she has finished 3rd in three straight dirt races. This Candy Ride-bred has tried the grass seven times in her career; yet she has failed to grace the tote. On that basis, I offer little hope for her chances. I would add that this mare has been on the shelf for about three months. Yet, her trainer, Luis Carvajal, Jr., does well with horses that have been “de vacaciones”. This mare has only one lifetime win in 22 tries. This mare has a solid turf pedigree “on top”. If this were a sprint I might be more interested, but it’s not. Jorge Vargas, Jr. is in the irons.

6 Midnight Crossing has failed to hit the board in her two lifetime turf tries. Yet, it should be noted that there is decent turf breeding “on the bottom,” i.e., English Channel. Further, this Empire Way-bred impresses me more as a sprinter than a router. Jorge Perez for Greg DiPrima.

RATTLESNAKE BITE has tried the lawn twice in her brief racing career. On both occasions she finished up the track in large-field races. I believe this grey filly’s turf pedigree is suspect. Yet, in her favor, she did break her maiden in a 7-furlongs race on the main at Prx about one month ago. She looks like she can handle today’s route distance. Yet, how will she perform on the grass? I wouldn’t rule out a minor award. Carlos Hernandez for trainer Gerald Seymour.

8 Eight Minute Ellie had one try on the grass and finished 3rd. Yet, this Paynter-bred hasn’t won in a month of Sundays. In addition, this filly has generally faced weaker and – I might add – without much success. I’m inclined to dismiss her chances.

DYNAMITE KITTEN has been an enigma. Her connections paid 100k for her. But she has been, thus far, a disappointment. John Kimmel started her on the turf last year at Belmont in MSWs. She appeared competitive but faded in the stretch. This Leroidesanimaux’s next two races were taken off the turf and run on the main. They produced a 2nd place finish and a distant 4th place finish. This past December, this filly broke her maiden against somewhat weaker in a one-mile race. Yet, in her most recent start this Dynaformer-bred was eased. I ask: “Which Dynamite Kitten do we get?” In her favor, this filly’s most recent works have been good. Junior Alvarado reprises the ride for the aforementioned John Kimmel.

NEEDS NO ICE is a potential “board-hitter”. But, I ask: “Is she a turf-race ‘board hitter’?” I plan to use her in my gimmicks, but with some degree of trepidation. I’m thinking more in terms of a “mop-up” role. I should cite that this North Light-bred has tried the lawn twice earlier in her career; those two tries showed little. Again, I’m inclined to think the best we could expect is a minor award. Yet, nothing ventured, nothing gained. If this longshot wakes up, she could provide value.

11 Laura’s Patriot will start from the extreme outside in this two-turn turf race. That can be disadvantageous as the field will enter that first turn in a blink of an eye. This Patriot Act-bred does not have a ton of early speed, so it is likely that she will have to wend her way through the field to put herself into contention. Oh, this mare is most definitely a turf horse, but she has just that one win in 33 tries on the lawn. Hector Diaz, Jr. for John Toscano, Jr. Frankly, I’m inclined to dismiss her chances.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)