Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Thread: Tote Outage
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2024, 11:12 PM   #26
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'm empty right now. I seems like horseplayers are constantly battling ineptitude at every turn and I'm worn down. And if a guy like me is worn down, what about more casual players?
It's tough for sure, especially if you had keyed into some nice winners and got the "ALL" or refund or shut-out instead.

I don't believe root cause of the outage has been specifically identified, but RCN is on record stating their primary and backup connections failed. As a retired IT weenie with much of my career in data protection and disaster recovery, the last company I worked for had no less than four network providers to utilize, as an outage of more than a few minutes starting adding up losses pretty fast.

My point is that many businesses rely on a 100% availability of electricity and the Internet, and often don't prepare for even common problems. Today that can get extremely expensive to maintain, and racing is certainly a business that's already on life support - with much of the slack and resilience already removed from the system to save money and/or stay in business. If some tech making $17/hr implements a switch firmware update that goes sideways, getting screwed out of some racing profits is well down the list of the seriousness of the unintended consequences.

We live in an age of decline. Having two ADW accounts on Derby Day or a backup generator during an ice storm ain't gonna get it done with more outages and degraded quality in services becoming more frequent. Buckle up.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)