Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 05-30-2019, 06:19 PM   #95
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchemist42 View Post
I'll be honest, I'm a 33 year old that actually can watch a race very easily with no bet on it. A trainer on another forum has taught me a lot about trip handicapping that I can actually appreciate the race for what it is. It helps that I'm into other raced/timed sports like luge/F1/various sports and touring car series.

In some parts of the world that have high takeouts, people actually still watch it as a sport.

I just don't buy that the packed grandstands in the 20s was simply because every poor person in America was laying down $40/race.
I think you missed the point. It isn't the beauty and athleticism alone that brings people to the track. Sitting through a race you could have bet is not nearly the same thing as sitting through a race where betting was not allowed. Trust me. Attendance would fall drastically.

Yes, millions of people watch the races that more millions of people bet on. I watch the Epsom Derby and the Irish Derby with no money, but I've been a loyal fan for longer than you've been alive.

I didn't reference the 20's, but since you brought it up, three sports dominated: horseracing, baseball and boxing. You know why the stands were filled? Because there wasn't TV to watch or ADW's where you could bet. Football was in its infancy, and was for the most part uncontrolled. Basketball was at least as far behind. Six teams comprised the NHL. You had to go to the track to make money.

I'm sure you also realize this. The minimum $2 bet represented a significant amount to the people making $50 a week. But the lure of making money was hard to resist.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)