Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #51
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
The next stop for the Metropolitans will be in injun country. Wheels will come off of that NY train.

But I do have another interesting Pete Rose saga. Rose and the Reds came to Atlanta in the late 1970's. Rose had a 44 game hitting streak going on and was chasing Joe DiMaggio's 56 conscutive game hitting record. Braves, were pitching around Rose all night and on his final at bat he was hitless. Gene Garber was on the mound, a very good shit ball pitcher. He would sometimes throw 3-4 change-ups in a row. Garber wasn't going to give him anything to hit and finally k'ed him on a pitch at least 3 feet outside. Rose slams his helmet into the ground and starts walking toward the mound. Garber is standing on the mound...hands on hips....laughing his hinny off.
There was an at bat in that game that Rose hit a laser back to the mound and the pitcher knocked it down and threw him out. I thought it was the final at bat, but I may be remembering that wrong. I'm sure memories are correct that Garber was on the mound for that final at bat.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Wh deserves to be the favorite? (last 4 figures)