Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 08-16-2016, 11:24 AM   #1
Tor Ekman

Diaz vs. McGregor 2

Can this possibly meet or exceed the hype and expectations? Has there ever been a better "heel" vs "heel" match up? Discuss.
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
kingfin66
Bombardier

I think that there is only one "heel," and that would be McGregor. Diaz is a very hard working fighter and is popular because of his gritty Stockton roots. He is not articulate, but is much, much smarter than he is given credit for. The funny thing is that I think McGregor chose him as an opponent the last time because he figured that (a) Nate was out of shape and (2) he has a style that plays to McGregor's strengths (he neither kicks nor tries for take downs). McGregor capitalized on the short notice replacement when he fought Mendes, although Mendes was a terrible style matchup for McGregor.

It appears that McGregor's ego is getting the best of him now and that he has not accepted the fact that he was beaten by a more highly skilled, experienced, and conditioned fighter. I think the outcome will be similar, although the fight may go longer this time. As far as fights go, it would not be nearly as interesting without both fighters' star appeal - two non-highly ranked welterweights in a main event.
kingfin66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2016, 02:13 AM   #3
Robert Fischer
clean money

ESPN has a big writeup about how Mac winning is good for the UFC.

I have no clue if that is correct.

also, when a major media article writes something like that, it's usually too widely known to be of any value

However, if it is true, it gives McGregor a good chance here
Old 08-19-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
ronsmac

I love McGregor. More so for his trash talk than his fighting. I could listen to the guy talk trash all day. I don't think the fight itself can live up to the hype and have my doubts if McGregor will win although I'm pulling for him.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
kingfin66
Bombardier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
ESPN has a big writeup about how Mac winning is good for the UFC.

I have no clue if that is correct.

also, when a major media article writes something like that, it's usually too widely known to be of any value

However, if it is true, it gives McGregor a good chance here
I haven't yet read the article, but I agree with the premise. If you look at the match ups McGregor has been given, even in his higher level fights, they are indicative of someone who the UFC wants to win. Ultimately, a fighter has to deliver against better opponents and McGregor definitely did do that in his 13-second knockout of Jose Aldo. The UFC is lacking in superstars. Fights light like this, and fighters like McGregor are exactly what they need.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #6
kingfin66
Bombardier

This sounds as though it was a fight that lived up to its hype and then some. I opted to not drop $60 on the PPV.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #7
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfin66
This sounds as though it was a fight that lived up to its hype and then some. I opted to not drop $60 on the PPV.
Same here, I knew there was no way I was gonna be able to stay awake. Sounds like it was a good one. McGregor said he'll fight Diaz again but it'll have to be at 145 next time, don't know if that'll work for Diaz at this stage of his career
Old 08-21-2016, 04:55 PM   #8
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman
Same here, I knew there was no way I was gonna be able to stay awake. Sounds like it was a good one. McGregor said he'll fight Diaz again but it'll have to be at 145 next time, don't know if that'll work for Diaz at this stage of his career
He said 155. That's a weight Diaz has fought at before.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:16 PM   #9
RunForTheRoses

I kinda don't like either of these D bags for the trash talking, liked Conor somewhat being half Irish but when he swiped Aldo's belt at a press conference I felt he had gone way to far.
Regarding the fight it is a bad match up for Conor-Diaz is bigger naturally and although he is not a belt holder he's like Donald Cerrone-tough as nails. Diaz has a Gracie Black Belt, boxing pedigree, he also does ultra Marathons.
As far as the fight-Conor was awesome the first two rounds and then gassed. He does deserve credit for overcoming the obstacles I enumerated in Diaz but I thought Nate should have won a narrow decision. He *really*gassed. He should probably stick to lower weight classes. Like the fighter in Nate's corner, can't thonk of his name. he is a great early fighter but not a 5 rounder versus a bigger opponent.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-21-2016, 07:25 PM   #10
RunForTheRoses

Rumble Johnson looked awesome, what was Texeira thinking bringing the fight to him.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #11
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
He said 155. That's a weight Diaz has fought at before.
Correct, my bad.
Old 08-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #12
ronsmac

I'm the dummy who bought 200 which kind of sucked and passed on 202 which sounded awesome.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:02 AM   #13
hugh

Ufc PPV is always hit or miss. Some suck and some like 202 just kick so much ass. Lucky I popped on 202... don't feel ripped off after dropping 60 bucks like I usually do.
If you are cheap... look forward to fight night on September 2nd. The card looks like it should be on pay per view but it's FREE. More coin to gamble with.
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply