Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 01-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
Teach

Gulfstream "Rainbow": Wed., Jan. 24

Race Six:

The start of “The Rainbow”. Five panels on the turf, 20k maiden-claimer.

I don’t want to be knocked out, early! I see four horses here I can make a case for in the opener. I’m determined as ever to “Slay the dragon!” My ANS is working overtime. Yeah, I want “The Pot o’ Gold”. Fasten your seatbelts!

Architectural, an Archarcharch-bred gelding, just missed by less than one length a little over one month ago against slightly better. He gets a rider switch to Carlos Montalvo. The Cornell grad, Bill Hickey (he was an assistant to George Weaver), trains. This gelding will likely get GP track announcer Pete Aiello’s first call. He needs to work out the right trip (don’t they all). Montalvo must ration out this gelding’s speed. Second-time blinkers may do the trick. If everything goes according to Hoyle, this gelding: “Can do”.

Domenic is a Leroidesanimaux (BRZ) (Candy Stripes)-bred (I’m partial to that sire progeny combination). This bay gelding finished 2nd to a runaway winner in a race against better in his last. The DRF says: “boxed in”. The outside starting post should enhance the gelding’s chances. His running style seems to indicate that he would prefer an outside post. Luca Panici is in the irons for trainer Cam Gambolati.

Visions of You draws the rail. That can be a very advantageous spot if this gelding can get the jump on this field coming out of the gate. Yet, he must maintain his speed to the wire. This chestnut gelding turns back over two panels off his last effort in this company. I like that angle. However, I must state that this gelding, heretofore, has done his best running on the main. Luis Saez in the saddle (that’s a plus).If any jock can pull this off, Saez can. Fernando Abreu owns and conditions this Bob and John-bred.

Two Seventy One is a late-blooming Kantharos-bred 4-year old colt who’s switching from dirt to turf. The turf pedigree, especially “on top,” is solid. In his only start, a little over a week ago, he was bet down to 3-to-1 against weaker on the main; he finished 2nd-a neck at six panels. If this Lion Heart-bred handles the turf, the cut-back will surely help. Jose Batista – he’s been as “hot as a petardo on the 4th of July -- has the call for trainer Armando de la Cerda.

Race Seven:

Again, a four-horse selection. Depending on your bankroll, you’ll need to determine how deep you need to and want to go. This race is a non-winners of 3, lifetime, on the turf at a distance of one mile and a teenth.

Appa picks up the services of Luis Saez. That, in itself, is big plus. This Theatrical-bred (I like that turf pedigree) finished an even-running 3rd against better at Gpw over two months ago (the DRF calls today’s drop: “Suspicious”). This Jane Cibelli-trainee (she’s good with horses that are “coming offthe bench”) has won twice at slightly lesser distances. A caveat emptor: This Pulpit-bred has never won at “a teenth”. The morning works are decent, but they’re not exceptional. Frankly, I don’t know what to do with this 5-year old gelding. It’s just that I don’t want him to beat me. Thus, I can’t leave him off my ticket.

Zigarch ships in from “The Big Apple” where he was last seen finishing up the track in a race taken off the turf against better competition. This Arch-bred gelding has two wins in five tries on the turf; one of those wins came at today’s distance. This gelding has the services of the razor-sharp jock, Tyler Gaffalione. Mike Maker is an excellent trainer who does very well both when dropping a horse 2+ levels and when his trainee has been “on the shelf”. This 5-year old bay gelding will be coming from “out of the clouds”.

Burning Wild almost won in this company in his last start -- he finished 2nd a half-length -- as a 7/2 shot. One of the best on “the green,” the Panamanian-born jinete, Jose Lezcano “Lez (cano) on the Ces(ped)” reprises the ride for trainer Jorge Navarro. Navarro, a perennial trainer-leader at NJ’s Monmouth Park, does very well with horses entered second-off-a-claim. One note of caution: This gelding has won only twice in 73 lifetime tries.

Just the Facts is a Mike Matz trainee who moves up in company off his last wire-to-wire win. Jockey Albin Jimenez reprises the ride. If Jimenez can once again “put the field to sleep” on the front end, this gelding can make it two-straight. This War Front-bred has, undeniably, done his best running on the grass (he’s won twice in five tries). The aforementioned Matz does reasonably well with winners of their last race.

Race Eight:

Stone Mountain gets my nod in this 7-panels 25k maiden-claimer. Trainer “Rusty” Arnold brings this shipper in from Indiana Grand. He last raced over four months ago in a turf sprint. In that one: Nada. Epes. Nihil (indeclinable). Nothing! I do, however, like the turf-to-dirt angle. But the lengthy layoff; that concerns me. It’s just that this Mineshaft-bred bay gelding has faced so much better competition throughout his racing career (he finished 3rd at Keeneland last April against 70k MSW company); in a nutshell, he’s hard to ignore.Y et, there are liabilities. Not the least of which is aforementioned lengthy layoff. Yet, if he’s anything, he capable of winning this race. Another note of caution: This 4-year old bay has played “greenback shredder” in his last two. On both occasions, he was the beaten chalk (Arnold does well with beaten favorites).

Blake’s Lucky Star picks up the services of Irad Ortiz, Jr. This highly-priced Tizway-bred 4-year old colt has faced much better in his, thus far, brief racing career. About two weeks ago, he competed in a 50k claimer at 6 and ½ panels; he finished 6th in a field of 9 as a 6-to-1 shot. In that race, this Tapit-bred ducked in at the start (that’s something he did in his previous start, an MSW at Churchill). The colt’s trainer, Dale Romans, has hopefully ironed out is starting gate issues. Romans does exceptionally well with horses dropping 2+ levels.

Emperor John has been away from the races “for the longest time"; in fact, near the end of the Saratoga meet this past summer. This Curlin-bred 4-year old chestnut gelding finished 3rd in his last despite the fact that he was both bumped at the start and caught wide in the stretch. Prior to that, this gelding finished 2nd at Monmouth despite bobbling at the break and getting bumped. Luis Saez rides and “Big D’s” (“where every home’s a palace”) Todd Pletcher trains. Pletcher does very well with horses that have been “on the shelf”.

Dixie Mambo hasn’t hit the tote in seven tries. Yet, this Union Rags-bred is dropping. This 4-year old bay gelding looks like the type, based on past performances, who “can get” the 7-panels distance. The gelding is going turf-to-dirt (ad nauseum: I like that angle). Aby Medina is this gelding’s pilot; Angel Penna, Jr. trains.

Race Nine:

Culture Carrier is my selection in this 11-panels turf marathon OC route. It’s the “dynamic duo” of trainer “Mechanicsville” Chad Brown and jockey Jose Ortiz for the Klaravich Stables et al. This Kitten’s Joy-bred 4-year old bay gelding won his last, an MSW turf route at today’s distance at Aqueduct about two months ago; he now moves up to face winners. This gelding should be coming from “off the tail-gate”.

Bernay ships in from “Across the Pond” to contend here in Les Etats-Unis. He hasn’t raced in many, many a 2-week fortnight, i.e., over two years. Yet, when this 7-year old Kingmambo-bred gelding did run, he acquitted himself quite well in these long-distance type turf-routes. Chad Brown trains this Irish-bred. Brown does very well with horses from the other side of The Atlantic. This gelding has hit the tote in 9 out of 11 turf tries. The gelding is adding Lasix. Tyler Gaffalione is in the irons.The big question: Is he ready?

Arch Daddy won his last, a maiden-breaking effort at GP on New Year’s Eve day. This Arch-bred bay gelding now moves up in class. Frankly, this 5-year old is facing some pretty tough customers; yet, I like his connections: jockey Luis Saez for trainer “Shug” McGaughey for owner Larry Pratt. There is a “getting the distance” question as this gelding is heading into unchartered waters. Yet, he may just be able to navigate the added two-plus panels and find himself in the winner’s circle as an upset victor.

English Illusion, the 5-year Ontario-bred chestnut gelding, was last seen at GP at the end of December in the H Allen Jerkens 100k 2-mile turf race; he finished 5th at 23-1. Yet, in this field, in this company, at a reduced distance, he could be “a contendah”. Jose Lezcano reprises the ride for trainer Danny Vella.

Race Ten:

Milbra is my pick in what I consider the toughest race in today’s “Rainbow 6”. This race – make no mistake – is loaded with speed-balls. This 4-year old bay filly looks like she can rate from just off the pace. If that be the case, she should be able pick up the tiring speed as the race collapses up front. This mare was the beaten favorite in her last; there’s a chance to make amends. The mare’s trainer, Aubrey Maragh, does exceptionally well with horses that were beaten favorites in their last. Miguel Vasquez is in the irons.

Solfatara has been razor-sharp; there’s no denying. This 6-year old chestnut, in her current form, would be hard to leave off a “Rainbow” ticket. Yet, I’d caution “buying insurance” (I’ve suggested one horse, already). Three of this mare’s most recent wins have come on a sloppy surface; this is the mare’s preferred surface (she’s Wildcat Heir (Forest Wildcat)…Nuff Ced!). That doesn’t mean she can’t make it five-straight; it’s just that I’d caution against “putting all of your eggs in one basket,” if you catch my drift. Henry Collazo trains this grand-daughter of Dehere. Aby Medina reprises the riding assignment.

Arcelor turned in a stellar performance about one month and one-half ago at GP when he won a 6-panels race in 1:10 flat. If this A.P. Indy-bred reprises that effort, she will be very tough to collar. Luis Seaz reprises the ride for trainer Brendan Walsh. Walsh does very well with horses that have been away from the races.

Making Havoc is a Gotcha Gold-bred 8-year old bay mare who, quite frankly, hasn’t won a race in a month of Sundays. Yet, this Coronado’s Quest-bred was claimed out of the Gary Gullo barn a little over one month ago. The point I’m trying to emphasize here is that the mare’s new trainer, Ralph Ziadie, does exceptionally well with horses entered: 1st after a claim.T his mare was second in her last; her times have been decent. She wouldn’t be, at least to me, a complete surprise if she graced the winner’s circle.A lvaro Donis has his boots in the stirrups.

Race Eleven:

Slated is my medium-longshot try in this 5-panels 20k turf sprint. Why? This Union Rags-bred grey filly got caught inside during the early going in her last race at The Meadowlands in late September. When her jockey was finally able to maneuver her to the outside, it was too late; she ran out of real estate in a similar distance race. This Dixie Union-bred now draws outside. That should allow this 3-year old to get into the outside flow more easily. I also believe she’s matured and filled out since her abbreviated 2-year old campaign. If matters go her way, I believe this filly can be right there at the wire. Joe Orseno trains; Miguel Vasquez is in the irons.

Nothins Free had a horrendous trip in her last on New Year’s Day at GP in a similar race against similar company. This Flatter-bred filly was both bumped and pinched as she was coming out of the gate. That, for all intents and purposes, compromised any chance of this 3-year old winning. What truly catches my mind is a recent eye-popping morning work: 4-furlongs in :47.1, breezing. If this filly can display that kind of speed on the grass in today’s race, she will be tough to catch. Jockey Carlos Montalvo for trainer Steve Dwoskin.

Dawn Lightning has the services of “El Dominicano,” Joel Rosario. Rosario is an accomplished jockey who’s competed in and won some of the richest races in North America. This War Front-bred bay filly has faced better during her brief racing career. She now drops to a level where she can be most competitive. This 3-year old should be out and going when the gates unlatch. If she can maintain that early turn of foot, she will most definitely be “a player”. Edward Plesa, Jr. trains.

Rahy Momenta was leading at the top of the stretch in her last; yet she faded to 3rd. She was 72-1 in that one (don’t expect those kind of “telephone-number” odds). If this filly can maintain her speed for one final furlong, she’ll definitely be in the mix. A lot will depend on well jockey Juan Diaz rates this horse. I should note that this filly turned in a recent solid work: 4-furlongs in :48-flat, breezing. Alexis Cordero-Lopez trains.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #2
Teach

I doubt anyone will be "unique" in this "Rainbow". 146-thousand "live" tickets after two races. In reality, many people are playing a Pick 4.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
jay68802

jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: