Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #61
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
The shooter used a .38 revolver and a shotgun. The weapons belonged to his father. It is not known what access his father did or didn't allow him. I can't wait to see how the gun grabbers spin this into an assault weapon issue and a need for more restrictions on gun sales.

On the other hand, USA Today recognizes a difference, saying that these weapons are "less lethal" than assault weapons. That will be welcomed news to the deceased.

Are you kidding me? Who in their right mind would claim a shotgun blast at close range is "less lethal" than the evil AR-15? Oops, I forgot it was supposedly only bird shot.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 02:20 PM   #62
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Now that you have opined on what "won't help", do you have any ideas for a solution?
Like I've said, the cat is out of the bag. Weapons are easily accessible to the mentally ill. Once that happened there's nothing you can do to stop it short of a Stalin type of society where anyone "suspect" is taken to prison or killed. That isn't an option in our society.

It's frustrating. People think they have answers but they don't. Arming teachers, banning guns, placing armed security all over campuses... Pure nonsense.

I'll reverse the whip on you (as they say). Why is this more of a problem in our society than say, Asia? Europe? Find those answers and we'll be onto something in regards to this problem
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 03:06 PM   #63
cordoba
Veteran

Next time you see a kid walk to school, stop him and tell him

Thank You For Your Service.
cordoba is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 03:19 PM   #64
fast4522

As a nation we continue to be in denial mode, looking into the mirror would help considerably. School design plus some method of routine patrol would cure most of this huge mess. If a scumbag understands a weakness he will exploit that weakness plain and simple. If anything negatively occurs all classrooms should be able to lock down and protect 99% of any school campus. Arming teachers just does not seem right to me, paying someone 70k plus a year is no better. If we decide to make the problem nonexistent we have to consider today it is whacked out youth, who knows who will be the threat tomorrow. Making soft targets near impossible to exploit and that fact plus a very low ability to damage will provide a cure due to the low value of doing it in the first place. My thinking is that this will occur just because the technology to do it has been here for a long time.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #65
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhorseplayer View Post
sounds like those armed airplane marshalls no one knows what passenger it is believe that has worked good.

forget those worthless gun free zones.
TSA screening is more important than air marshalls, who are on less than one percent of scheduled commercial flights.I fly 3-5 times a year and never once thought there were air marshals aboard.I always knew there was TSA screening.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #66
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
TSA screening is more important than air marshalls, who are on less than one percent of scheduled commercial flights.I fly 3-5 times a year and never once thought there were air marshals aboard.I always knew there was TSA screening.

so what your saying is there needs to be some federal screening of teachers and students before teachers can teach and students can attend school?
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-19-2018, 04:15 PM   #67
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
Like I've said, the cat is out of the bag. Weapons are easily accessible to the mentally ill. Once that happened there's nothing you can do to stop it short of a Stalin type of society where anyone "suspect" is taken to prison or killed. That isn't an option in our society.

It's frustrating. People think they have answers but they don't. Arming teachers, banning guns, placing armed security all over campuses... Pure nonsense.

I'll reverse the whip on you (as they say). Why is this more of a problem in our society than say, Asia? Europe? Find those answers and we'll be onto something in regards to this problem

how are weapons legally easily accessible to the mentally ill?

Placing armed security guards in all schools in stillwater oklahoma has worked great, by the way the security guards are paid for by a civilian not government.
Old 05-19-2018, 05:11 PM   #68
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
so what your saying is there needs to be some federal screening of teachers and students before teachers can teach and students can attend school?
What I said was you're giving too much credit to air Marshalls as the reason for the safety of air travel, when it's the TSA screening that deserves the credit.So if you wanted TSA like screening of schools, that would keep out the shooters. EVERY single person entering the school.The impracticality of that is of course mind boggling.Airplanes are enclosed spaces whereas schools are spread out;arming teachers would still require the teacher to travel anywhere from 15 to 20 seconds to 3 or 4 minutes and that's if you know exactly where the shooter was.It would reduce casualties but not eliminate them.And as the Fort Lauderdale airport shooting of a couple of years ago showed, people would still be vulnerable when they exit the building.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:55 PM   #69
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
What I said was you're giving too much credit to air Marshalls as the reason for the safety of air travel, when it's the TSA screening that deserves the credit.So if you wanted TSA like screening of schools, that would keep out the shooters. EVERY single person entering the school.The impracticality of that is of course mind boggling.Airplanes are enclosed spaces whereas schools are spread out;arming teachers would still require the teacher to travel anywhere from 15 to 20 seconds to 3 or 4 minutes and that's if you know exactly where the shooter was.It would reduce casualties but not eliminate them.And as the Fort Lauderdale airport shooting of a couple of years ago showed, people would still be vulnerable when they exit the building.

thats your opinion. I only stated that they have air marshals on planes as regualr passengers and no one knows who they are however I dont know the stats on how many hijackings there were or plane crashes from terrorist taking over planes before the marhsalls vs after the marshalls, I do know that it has worked , however this is about school shooting not comercial flight safety.

so your not sugesting screening of all teachers and students?
Old 05-19-2018, 07:17 PM   #70
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post

Any particular country in Asia? I mean -- you're asking (I presume) why there are more shootings in this country by citizens than on an entire continent. Communist China occupies a huge chunk of Asia. They don't have our kind of problem because they're a totalitarian state but I don't think you believe that communism would be the answer for us, right?
Old 05-19-2018, 07:21 PM   #71
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Trade gun ownership for totalitarian Communist government.

Good plan.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:28 PM   #72
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Trade gun ownership for totalitarian Communist government.

Good plan.
There are people on this forum who believe we'd be trading up to get such a good deal.
Old 05-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #73
barahona44

Quote:

so your not sugesting screening of all teachers and students?
Air marshal program has been around for a while (didn't you ever see Passenger 57 with Wesley Snipes?), 1962 to be exact.Problem is there are only 3000 of them and the United States has about 30,000 daily commercial flights. 1 in 10 and obviously they are not going to work 16 hour days, 7 days a week.

I taught school for 34 years, the last 23 in a high school.We had metal detectors at the two main entryways at the school.There were several other entry points.Two teachers at each station, and an administrator to supervise.Problem is the kids who were late for school wouldn't be checked .There was little to stop a kid from leaving the building during a change of class and coming back later.Parents were coming in all the time to speak to the school, pick up their kids, etc.That's a nice warm welcome for someone with a child: empty your pockets, step through this detector, then let us go through your personal effects.

You could set up every school as an armed camp but we couldn't afford it and we wouldn't want to anyway.Schools aren't prisons (they just felt that way ) and even with all security, plenty of bad things happen in prisons.It's the price we pay for liberty.

Old 05-19-2018, 08:04 PM   #74
mrhorseplayer

Quote:
Air marshal program has been around for a while (didn't you ever see Passenger 57 with Wesley Snipes?), 1962 to be exact.Problem is there are only 3000 of them and the United States has about 30,000 daily commercial flights. 1 in 10 and obviously they are not going to work 16 hour days, 7 days a week.

I taught school for 34 years, the last 23 in a high school.We had metal detectors at the two main entryways at the school.There were several other entry points.Two teachers at each station, and an administrator to supervise.Problem is the kids who were late for school wouldn't be checked .There was little to stop a kid from leaving the building during a change of class and coming back later.Parents were coming in all the time to speak to the school, pick up their kids, etc.That's a nice warm welcome for someone with a child: empty your pockets, step through this detector, then let us go through your personal effects.

You could set up every school as an armed camp but we couldn't afford it and we wouldn't want to anyway.Schools aren't prisons (they just felt that way ) and even with all security, plenty of bad things happen in prisons.It's the price we pay for liberty.

didnt know they had armed air marshals disguised at passengers since 1962.

again this has nothing to do with safety of domestic flights.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:10 AM   #75
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Apparently the school resource officer was shot

https://nypost.com/2018/05/18/hero-r...chool-shooter/

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: