Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 02:45 AM   #4096
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Watch the part from 1:25 to 2:20 ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_rT...TwpPyClD0U0Cy1
I, myself, enjoyed it more from 5:20 to the end.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:57 AM   #4097
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I remember a few years ago...when Dave Schwartz started a fund-raiser here so we could raise some money for Patrick the Truckdriver, when he encountered some emergency medical issues. In a similar vein...I think the time has now come for us to raise a little MORE money...so we could get a private hotel room for Boxcar and Actor. Only THEN will they be able to bring a satisfactory end to this fascinating debate that they've pursued here. Of course, the rest of us won't be privy to the conclusion that they'll reach...but that's a small price for us to pay...IMO.
I said it before (in post # 8 of this thread), and I'll say it again - with Boxcar in the mix, any discussion of religion takes a back seat to his intolerant ranting of his interpretation of the Bible.

As Barney on the Simpson's once famously stated, "Jesus is spinning in his grave...."
Old 10-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #4098
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
I said it before (in post # 8 of this thread), and I'll say it again - with Boxcar in the mix, any discussion of religion takes a back seat to his intolerant ranting of his interpretation of the Bible.

As Barney on the Simpson's once famously stated, "Jesus is spinning in his grave...."
Someone should have given Barney a bible, then he would have known that Jesus beat the grave on the third day. Or is that, too, just my "interpretation"?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #4099
boxcar

Quote:
If you want to stay one one topic then I'll oblige. Name your poison.
Stay focused. How many times have I asked you to back up your claim that Jesus failed both tests for a true prophet in Deut 13 and 18? Why don't you get to work on that? One of your favorite skeptics' sites should be able to help you out on this.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #4100
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Stay focused. How many times have I asked you to back up your claim that Jesus failed both tests for a true prophet in Deut 13 and 18? Why don't you get to work on that? One of your favorite skeptics' sites should be able to help you out on this.
A false prophet would ask his followers to follow other gods and Jesus did exactly that, the other god being himself.

A false prophet would promise to perform miracles but fail. We know he failed because miracles are impossible.

So if Jesus existed, and if the Jews (not the Romans) killed him they were only carrying out OT law.

Last edited by Actor; 10-11-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #4101
LemonSoupKid

I just read a few of your posts, Actor, and you don't apply sound reasoning with cogent arguments. An example would be how you are using your own terms to spin away from what your "opposition" (I don' think they are, for the sake of this though I'm saying that) maintains.

"We know miracles are impossible" is just a silly thing to say, for hundreds of reasons. The first reason is that it's just a language or definitional problem that you bring baggage into (a closed mind). Unless you can explain everything that has ever happened in humanity, it is a silly assertion to say that something is "impossible." Particularly in metaphysical discussions.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:01 PM   #4102
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
"We know miracles are impossible" is just a silly thing to say, for hundreds of reasons. The first reason is that it's just a language or definitional problem that you bring baggage into (a closed mind).
How so?

The definition of a miracle is "the suspension of the laws of science on behalf of a petitioner who is undeserving."
Quote:
Unless you can explain everything that has ever happened in humanity, it is a silly assertion to say that something is "impossible." Particularly in metaphysical discussions.
What do you mean by "explain everything that has ever happened in humanity?" Do you require an explanation of how every atom in every human that ever lived got to where it is today? Or would an explanation of the principles which govern the motion of atoms suffice? Or something in between?

Last edited by Actor; 10-11-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #4103
boxcar

Quote:
A false prophet would ask his followers to follow other gods and Jesus did exactly that, the other god being himself.

A false prophet would promise to perform miracles but fail. We know he failed because miracles are impossible.

So if Jesus existed, and if the Jews (not the Romans) killed him they were only carrying out OT law.
Wrong on both accounts. Numerous scriptures attest to the occurrence of miracles. And secondly, those same scriptures attest to the divinity of the Son of David (a/k/a Jesus Christ).

And before you tell me that the scriptures prove nothing, I would remind you that your own lame theories prove nothing.

And since you KNOW miracles are impossible, then Shirley U. will have no problem proving this to us.

Oh yeah...one more thing before I let you off the hook this easily: The ancient Jews presumed miracles were possible for many reasons. Even v.1 in Deut 13 bears this truth out. Moses did not rule out the possibility of miracles -- even by false prophets.

Last edited by boxcar; 10-11-2017 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:55 PM   #4104
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Wrong on both accounts. Numerous scriptures attest to the occurrence of miracles.
Scripture still proves nothing.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:01 PM   #4105
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I just read a few of your posts, Actor, and you don't apply sound reasoning with cogent arguments.
Give me a cogent argument argument that any deity exists, then give me a cogent argument argument that said deity is the only deity, then give me a cogent argument that said unique deity is the Judeo-Christian-Islamic deity.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:20 PM   #4106
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
And since you KNOW miracles are impossible, then Shirley U. will have no problem proving this to us.
How about you proving something for a change. Pick any one of your lame theories and prove it.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #4107
boxcar

Quote:
Scripture still proves nothing.
Of course. And if scripture didn't teach the things I mentioned earlier, then your retort would be that scripture doesn't support Christian theology. Heads you win, or tails you win. Must be nice to be in a win-win situation. But...before you break out the bubbly to celebrate your enviable position, prove to us that the supernatural is impossible since you claim to know this for a fact.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:20 PM   #4108
dnlgfnk

Quote:
I have read Twain's Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc. Have you found something earth shaking in that?
No need to raise the drawbridge. Like others, I merely thought the time and research invested in what would become his favorite work, devoted to someone who claimed, "We must act when God wills it” in the context of military victory, a bit curious.

On the other hand, I wouldn't think "the common eye sees only the outside of things, and judges by that, but the seeing eye pierces through and reads the heart and the soul, finding there capacities which the outside didn't indicate or promise, and which the other kind of eye couldn't detect”, to be earth shaking for you coming from Twain, since reading the heart and soul can't be quantified.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:22 PM   #4109
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
And if scripture didn't teach the things I mentioned earlier, then your retort would be that scripture doesn't support Christian theology.
What scripture supports or does not support is irrelevant.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:12 AM   #4110
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I know all too well what "equivocation" is. It's when one uses equivocal language with the intention to deceive.
Define "equivocal?"