Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-22-2024, 06:32 PM   #1
elhelmete

Santa Anita offers a tri-tri

3-races, 3 trifectas. Reminds me of the infamous, greatly missed (and unappreciated) Twin-Tri at Suffolk Downs.

$1 base bet. Don't know the takeout. CAWs not allowed.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2024, 06:56 PM   #2
Nitro

This reminds me of an available bet in Hong Kong called the Triple Trio.

TRIPLE TRIO – is picking the top 3 horses, in any order, for 3 specific races.
Win this bet and the drinks are on you!

Unfortunately, the Stateside ADW’s don’t offer this type of bet.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2024, 07:32 PM   #3
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
3-races, 3 trifectas. Reminds me of the infamous, greatly missed (and unappreciated) Twin-Tri at Suffolk Downs.

22% takeout. The numbers on hitting this are insane. Enjoy. I wouldn't play this with a zero percent takeout.
Poindexter is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2024, 07:54 PM   #4
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
22% takeout. The numbers on hitting this are insane. Enjoy. I wouldn't play this with a zero percent takeout.
Yikes.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2024, 08:46 PM   #5
Nitro

Quote:
So What?! Most Verticals have a 25% takeout.

Not so insane. Just think of it as a Pick-3 on steroids.

I’m game. I guess because now and then I enjoy a nice challenge.
I hope the ADW’s provide it too.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:50 PM   #6
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
So What?! Most Verticals have a 25% takeout.

Not so insane. Just think of it as a Pick-3 on steroids.

I’m game. I guess because now and then I enjoy a nice challenge.
I hope the ADW’s provide it too.
The insane part is not the takeout. The insane part is the probability of hitting it relative to the cost of the bet. Like I said above, enjoy.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:10 PM   #7
Nitro

Quote:
The insane part is not the takeout. The insane part is the probability of hitting it relative to the cost of the bet. Like I said above, enjoy.
Let’s see.
A 3 horse $1 Tri box is $12. Times 3 Tris = $36 – total bet
A 4 horse $1 Tri box is $24. Times 3 Tris = $72 – total bet
A 5 horse $1 Tri box is $60. Times 3 Tris = $180 – total bet

Of course, you’re not limited to a single or multiple 3, 4 or 5 horse boxes.
Perhaps 3 boxed in one race, 4 in one race and 5 in another for a total bet of $96.

Based on what I’ve witnessed in Hong Kong I would think that the returns here could certainly cause some excitement and warrant some play.
Old 04-22-2024, 09:30 PM   #8
Poindexter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Let’s see.
A 3 horse $1 Tri box is $12. Times 3 Tris = $36 – total bet
A 4 horse $1 Tri box is $24. Times 3 Tris = $72 – total bet
A 5 horse $1 Tri box is $60. Times 3 Tris = $180 – total bet

Of course, you’re not limited to a single or multiple 3, 4 or 5 horse boxes.
Perhaps 3 boxed in one race, 4 in one race and 5 in another for a total bet of $96.

Based on what I’ve witnessed in Hong Kong I would think that the returns here could certainly cause some excitement and warrant some play.
The 3 horse tri box is $6 not 12.

But you have to multiply the comos in each leg.
So on a 3 horse box in each leg, to hit 3 straight tris you have
6x6x6, 216 combos, thus $216 is the cost. You can get your calculator out on the rest.
Old 04-22-2024, 10:11 PM   #9
wisconsin

You would need to play one leg cold to keep costs down. I don't see it.

Decades ago, Sportsman's Park created the SuperBet, with two exactas and then a trifecta. One time, the carryover reached $750k and syndicates came in to scoop it up.

Can't see ever playing a triple-tri, when the old twin-tri's were nearly impossible because your second leg was basically a cold trifecta from your exchange ticket(s).
Old 04-22-2024, 10:51 PM   #10
Nitro

Quote:
The 3 horse tri box is $6 not 12.

But you have to multiply the comos in each leg.
So on a 3 horse box in each leg, to hit 3 straight tris you have
6x6x6, 216 combos, thus $216 is the cost. You can get your calculator out on the rest.
Yes, your correct about the 3 entry Tri box costing only $6. That’s what happens sometimes when you get excited. LOL

But I’m not sure if you’re correct about the number of permutations involved based on the following statement from the CHRB. Yet, based on the final paragraph (below) this all may be a moot point for many players.
Quote:
The wager, which will be called the "Three by Three," will debut at Santa Anita within the next several weeks, according to Scott Daruty, president of Monarch Content Management, an arm of Santa Anita’s parent company. The aim of the new bet is to “introduce a new concept” to the wagering menu, Daruty said at the meeting.

“We’d like to give it a try and see if it’s successful,” Daruty said.
The wager will allow players to select horses to finish in the top three positions in each of three consecutive races, with payouts based on how many horses a player correctly selects in the three-race series. Under the bet rules, the vast majority of the pool will pay out to those players who correctly make all nine selections, but there are payouts available to tickets with as few as three correct selections, spread out over the three-race series.

“The best way to think about it is a three-by-three grid, and at the end of the sequence, you look to see how many of your boxes got filled in,” Daruty said in an interview after the hearing.
The bet will have a $1 minimum and a 22 percent takeout. The bet will not be made available to computerized account-wagering teams, Daruty said.

The bet’s availability also will be initially limited to wagering sites that are customers of AmTote, the bet-processing company owned by 1/ST Racing, Santa Anita’s parent, due to programming changes that need to be made to enable calculations of the bet’s payoffs. AmTote’s customers include XpressBet, which is the account-wagering company owned by 1/ST.
Old 04-23-2024, 04:32 AM   #11
Poindexter

Here is a slightly more detailed write up on this wager from Blood Horse.

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...by-three-wager

The new wager, called the "Three by Three," tasks the bettor with selecting the top three finishers in three separate races in precise order. Offered in $1 denominations, it would offer a carryover of a "major share" if there is no winner, with five "minor shares" offered for those selecting eight correct horses, seven horses, and down the line.

Though takeout for the wager is high at 22%, Daruty said, "We believe the effective takeout for the retail player will be lower than that given various guarantees. For example, the major pool will be guaranteed at $10,000 every day."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So they are going to guarantee the pool at $10,000, which means they aren't expecting much action on it (nor do I). The major share would thus become a carryover for the next day if nobody hits. They will pay diminishing amounts to for 8/7/6/5/4 winners or lower if nobody gets 8 winners.

From my point of view the chances on most days will be pretty tiny of hitting all three trifectas. So basically you are investing money into a 22% takeout pool in which you have a tiny chance of hitting major prize. Sounds worse than the rainbow six (on a no carryover day) to me. I don't even know if they how they are planning to split up the pool. Takeout 22%. Of the remaining 78% I guess it might be something like

50%+ carryover (either to those who hit the 3 trifectas or carryovered to the next day).

20% to those who hit the most number of winners
15% to those who hit the next most
10% to those who hit the next most
5% to those who hit the next most

Assuming that is what they go with if nobody hits the top prize, 22% goes to takeout and 50% of what is left goes to carryover. Thus 22% takeout, 39% to carryover and 39% of the pool is split among the top performers. So fail to hit 9 of 9 (3 straight trifectas) and you get your cut of 39% of the pool. I guess over time carryovers will become larger, more money will get bet, but once again, if you don't hit the top prize, you are shooting for very little. Obviously if you can hit the 3 trifectas perfectly and you have a nice carryover you have a chance to hit a nice payout. Thus it is sort of like a pyramid scheme, only the other direction. In a pyramid scheme the folks who get in early get rich and those who get in late feed them. In this wager those who bet before the carryover becomes huge are feeding those who hit when it is finally brought down when the carryover is huge. But unlike a pyramid scheme, instead of a lot of people getting "rich", chances are with this you will have 1 or 2 people hitting when the pool is brought down (barring a very chalky 3 race sequence). So it is also like a lottery. My assumption is they will use the sequences which include very tough turf races so they can build big carryovers over time and also make it virtually impossible for you to hit in the early stages.

Now the the thing is if the carryover does become huge, there is no way they will keep the caw out. They might not get their rebates but they will attack it and they have the capital to actually scoop up all the money that the suckers donate to them over time via an ever growing carryover. But even if the caw doesn't scoop it (they obey orders), somebody with money will. If you play a $36 ticket on a Rainbow Six mandatory you actually have a chance (obviously a small one-but that is equivalent of a 360 ticket on the old $2 pick 6) to collect. You put 36 into this and you are cold decking one triftecta and parlaying it to either two 3 horse boxes or keys. Good luck with that.

This is exactly what they should not be doing. But the "smart" people are in charge, so who am I to rain on their parade.
Old 04-25-2024, 10:06 AM   #12
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post

The twin-trifecta was offered in the Chicago area too. The rules were that you had to hit the first trifecta multiple times if you wanted to play multiple trifecta combinations in race 2. If you wanted to box 3 horses in the second race...then you had to have the first race winning trifecta combination 6 times. I remember this because I actually hit on one of these wagers back in the day. At the time, I considered that to be my luckiest day...but it turned out to be something totally different.

The worst thing for a gambler, serious illness aside...is to score big when you are young.
Old 04-25-2024, 01:33 PM   #13
bks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
The twin-trifecta was offered in the Chicago area too. The rules were that you had to hit the first trifecta multiple times if you wanted to play multiple trifecta combinations in race 2. If you wanted to box 3 horses in the second race...then you had to have the first race winning trifecta combination 6 times. I remember this because I actually hit on one of these wagers back in the day. At the time, I considered that to be my luckiest day...but it turned out to be something totally different.

The worst thing for a gambler, serious illness aside...is to score big when you are young.

Truer words never spoken. It can change the course of a person's life.
bks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2024, 05:10 PM   #14
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks View Post
Truer words never spoken. It can change the course of a person's life.
Yup. And nobody knows this better than I.
Old 04-25-2024, 07:35 PM   #15
Parkview_Pirate

Well, if Santa Anita is going to have a higher payout on four and five horse races, a Triple Trio is one way to do it. Maybe even a couple will be signers. Perhaps they're motivated by losing some whale action? 'Cause at first glance, this sure isn't a bet for the little guys like me.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply