Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-15-2019, 10:51 AM   #31
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

I give them kudos for wanting transparency of vet records, out of competition testing. But again why not do this at all of their tracks?
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #32
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Before anyone crowns Franky or makes him a saint, why is he NOT banning race day drugs at his other tracks?
I had the same thought. What about Gulfstream? That's why these major changes like this have to be made by the country as a whole. It doesn't work otherwise.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #33
chiguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
Are you being serious? Unnecessary changes that will hurt the industry?

Stronach actually is ahead of the curve here. Keep in mind that the liberalization of allowable medications came about when field size was the imperative. The NYRA circuit was the last hold out. And what is proposed is pretty damn similar to what existed on the NYRA circuit when I was a pup. When the overnight horses would race 20+ races a year. So this is a back to the future moment. And since simulcasting came about, we have seen ever decreasing race meets and field size anyway.

Does anyone here believe that business could go on as usual? Government take from racing is such a small part of the nationwide gambling rake that the disappearance of all racing forever would hardly be noticed by the average person.

And let's face it, if the SA problem causes anyone to really put the industry under scrutiny in terms of equine health, the data gathered would be devastating.

What I would like to know is how many horses have been injured at SA this winter. It would be really weird if that number did not exceed the number that have been euthanized.

I would like to see a cradle to grave health passport created for every registered thoroughbred, where all injuries, treatment and medication are listed.And make the database accessible to the public. And make every horse making its first career start (and first start of a layoff) be subject to a complete physical exam, including xrays of all four limbs.

Injuries will never be completely eliminated...but steps can be taken to reduce the number of starts by compromised horses, which should lower the overall injury and death rate.

Thoughtful post and I love the idea of a cradle to grave health passport. Would be good for us humans too based on my life experience.
chiguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #34
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
I had the same thought. What about Gulfstream? That's why these major changes like this have to be made by the country as a whole. It doesn't work otherwise.
Apparently, the East coast horse are stronger and sounder!

What will PETA do when a horse on lasix breaks down at GP?
The public will told Franky KNEW lasix was bad because he banned in at SOME of his tracks.

Last edited by Tom; 03-15-2019 at 11:17 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #35
thespaah

thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #36
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
Agreed, and if you already have an uphill battle on the track closure, why make it harder on yourself? Right now, Santa Anita is effectively piling on themselves.
That's one angle.
Suppose this....Trainers who for whatever reason will not race at SA or GGF may take a second look,
Perhaps those who stay away because they stay clear of the meds and believe they cannot compete against those bigger outfits, now have a reason to consider racing there.
Don't know. Just spit balling here.
In any event, the current model for a ton of reasons isn't working
Old 03-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #37
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Wow! I almost fell off my chair when I read the article. Hope it works!

As many here noticed, Stronach said nothing about switching back to synthetic. The Jockey Club has been doing a study for the past 10 years, called The Equine Injury Database, and they’ve never found that horses on Lasix broke down any more frequently. They have found that surface does matter.

The fatality rates associated with each racing surface were as follows:
-On turf surfaces, there were 1.36 fatalities per 1,000 starts in 2017, compared to 1.09 in 2016.
-On dirt surfaces, there were 1.74 fatalities per 1,000 starts in 2017, compared to 1.7 in 2016.
-On synthetic surfaces, the rate of fatal injuries remained stable at 1.1 fatalities per 1,000 starts.

http://jockeyclub.com/default.asp?se...=10&story=1039
Since nearly all horses run on Lasix (95%), how could any study really even be done?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 11:33 AM   #38
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoEligible View Post
Sounds about right.

Of course there's also the (increasingly likely) chance that someone puts a measure on the 2020 ballot to ban racing in California, and all of it is a moot point. When that happens, I suppose the real estate value takes a hit, so TSG would be smart to get out beforehand.

Either way, after today there's no doubt in my mind that these three months have killed California racing. Now it's just a matter of figuring out how it'll go down.
"increasingly likely"? Based on what?
Old 03-15-2019, 11:44 AM   #39
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahossdaboss View Post
If lasix is the issue wouldn’t horses be breaking down everywhere?
I believe it is a combination of issues.
I view this from the opposite direction.
Lets say all things being equal, you'd be correct. There woudl be an inordinate amount of equine fatalities at all tracks. But there isn't.
By no means is this new rule the 'answer'. Of course the track surface is to be addressed.
I believe this ban on race day meds was in the planning stages for quite some time. What makes me say this is TSG attempted to stage med free races at Gulfstream.
It is my guess that TSG has been opposed ot race day meds for quite some time. This spate fo breakdowns was simply the crack in the door TSG was looking for to institute a ban.
I will be monitoring the field counts.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #40
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Since nearly all horses run on Lasix (95%), how could any study really even be done?
Not all, some are actually allergic to the stuff and some times trainers try running without it as a last resort, although rare. Many first time starters run without it. There are over 100 tracks involved with the study. That would give you a sample in the thousands per year that do not run with Lasix .
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #41
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah View Post
That's one angle.
Suppose this....Trainers who for whatever reason will not race at SA or GGF may take a second look,
Perhaps those who stay away because they stay clear of the meds and believe they cannot compete against those bigger outfits, now have a reason to consider racing there.
Don't know. Just spit balling here.
In any event, the current model for a ton of reasons isn't working

It's a good thought and I see what you're saying. I'm just not sure how many "clean" guys are out there to support the CA circuit.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #42
Rex Phinney

Am I correct in assuming that the majority of horses will not be on Lasix for workouts? How many of the now 22 deaths have been during workouts?
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #43
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
Am I correct in assuming that the majority of horses will not be on Lasix for workouts? How many of the now 22 deaths have been during workouts?
I don't think it is reported, but I do know many horses work out on Lasix.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #44
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Not all, some are actually allergic to the stuff and some times trainers try running without it as a last resort, although rare. Many first time starters run without it. There are over 100 tracks involved with the study. That would give you a sample in the thousands per year that do not run with Lasix .
I know not all. The number is about 95%, as I stated. The majority of the 5% that don't use it are first timers and two year olds, often both.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #45
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

This is just stupid.

"Here is our bandaid everybody, and when it doesn't work, you can't blame us for not trying."

Lasix and same day meds are about 58th on the real reasons list.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: