Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software > HandiFast Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:27 AM   #301
SuitedAces
ClassPars

Timely

Greetings:

Very timely thread to get us newbies going for a fast start to the new year. Have subscribed and will be eagerly following.

A little off topic...is the DRF PP's the same as the Bris PP's?

Thanks
SA
SuitedAces is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #302
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedAces
Greetings:

Very timely thread to get us newbies going for a fast start to the new year. Have subscribed and will be eagerly following.

A little off topic...is the DRF PP's the same as the Bris PP's?

Thanks
SA
No, they aren't the same. The raw data is, but that's about it. As far as AllData is concerned, only Brisnet single file format data files, or JCapper/HDW data files are accepted by the various AllData workbooks.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #303
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

My better half suffered some serious burns, a couple of days ago, so I might be a little "out of pocket" for a few days. But I will get back to this tutorial as soon as possible.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #304
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

I'm going to add some data and labels to what we have already, for the next portion of the tutorial. Here's what I did.

Attached Images
File Type: png 1-make room for new data and labels.png (34.3 KB, 138 views)

Old 12-14-2012, 10:13 PM   #305
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

For the RS users, get your Oaklawn workbooks updated for the start of the new meet in January.

This is a great paying track, at least with RS, even better than Delta!

Old 12-15-2012, 12:56 AM   #306
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
My better half suffered some serious burns, a couple of days ago, so I might be a little "out of pocket" for a few days. But I will get back to this tutorial as soon as possible.
Thanks for all that you're doing here, and let me say I hope your better feels better soon!
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 09:18 AM   #307
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Thanks for all that you're doing here, and let me say I hope your better feels better soon!
Thank you Mike! If you've ever dumped a huge pot of boiling pasta onto you, from the waste down, then you have an idea of how she feels. We took her to the Parkland Burn Center in Dallas, and they did all the work on her. Mostly 2nd degree burns but a couple of spots were deeper. She's on antibiotics, and some pretty strong pain meds, and of course we have to keep her burns clean, and then salved and wrapped. It's a rather demanding situation, but we'll make it through somehow.

Thanks again!

Old 12-15-2012, 09:55 AM   #308
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Soory to hear about your "better." Hope she feels better.
And I echo PA, thanks for all your contributions to the board!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #309
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Soory to hear about your "better." Hope she feels better.
And I echo PA, thanks for all your contributions to the board!
Thanks Tom, much appreciated!!

Old 12-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #310
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Here's what the worksheet looks like after adding 2 new labels, and some more data, for 8 horses. Next, I will show you how to copy the 2 calculation formulas we already have, pasting them downward ,for the other 7 horses in this race.

Attached Images
File Type: png 2-after adding more labels and data.png (42.8 KB, 111 views)

Old 12-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #311
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Ok, before I show you how to copy and paste formulas, let's cover some Excel theory, regarding this.

Formulas that don't include cell references, copy and paste exactly the same as the original formula, thus, "=15+3" remains "=15+3" no matter where you copy the formula to.

Formulas that contain "cell references" fall into 2 categories: 1. those that contain "relative" cell references. 2. those that contain "absolute" cell references.

1. "Relative" cell references are relative to their location, their column and row intersection. So, a formula like "=A1+B1" contains 2 "relative" cell references, A1 and B1. Let's say that that formula is in cell C1, and you copy it and then paste it in cell D1, the formula will change to "=B1+C1", because you copied from column C to column D, 1 column to the right. The "relative" cell references will increment 1 column to the right. Excel assumes that if you have relative cell references in a formula ,and you copy and paste it to another cell, then you want the formula to change, "relative" to it's new column and row location. Likewise, if you instead copied the formula to cell C2, the formula would become "=B2+C2", both the column reference and the row reference would increment, because you pasted 1 column to the right and 1 row downward.

2. "Absolute" cell references are not relative to their column and row location. They do not change as you copy them, no matter where you paste them to. So, using the above original formula above, we can make 1 or both of the cell references "absolute" by adding a "$" sign before the column or the row, or both, which will cause the portion of the cell reference that contains the beginning "$" sign, remain the same. So, if we changed the original formula to "=$A1+$B1" and then copied it to cell D1, the formula would remain "=$A1+$B1" because we changed the column references to "absolute" references and remained on the same row. If we pasted it instead to cell D2, the formula would become "=$A2+$B2" because the column references were "absolute" while the row references were still "relative", and the row references would change by 1 row downward. If we changed the original formula to "=$A$1+$B$1", then no matter where we pasted it to, it would remain exactly the same "=$A$1+$B$1", because both the column references and the row references were "absolute" references.

So if you want the column or the row to change with location, then don't add the "$" sign before that column letter or row number. If you don't want the column or row to change with location, then add the "$" before the column letter or row number. You can mix and match relative and absolute column and row references, in your formulas, any way you like.

If any of this is confusing, please ask for clarification so I can address it, now. This is very important stuff!!

Last edited by raybo; 12-16-2012 at 02:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #312
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Ok, no questions so I assume most understand the difference between "relative" and "absolute" cell references. Now, regarding copying and pasting the 2 calculation formulas we have already in place.

The formulas in cells F2 and G2 contain "relative" cell references. In other words, when we copy and paste them downward, for the other 7 horses listed, those cell references will change, for each change in the row we paste it to.

The formulas, as they appear in F2 and G2, are only valid for that first horse's data. But, rather than rewriting that formula for the other 7 horses' data, we can just copy the formulas in F2 and G2, containing only "relative" cell references, and simply paste them on the remaining 7 rows, below them.

Here's one way of doing that, the copy portion first:

Attached Images
File Type: png 3-Copy a relative reference forrmula.png (41.7 KB, 72 views)

Old 12-16-2012, 06:57 PM   #313
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Now, the pasting portion. We could paste the formula in each individual cell below it, doing that 7 times to accomplish the task. But, it is much easier, and quicker, to paste into all 7 cells, in one shot. Here's how:

Attached Images
File Type: png 4-Select paste special.png (43.3 KB, 71 views)

Old 12-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #314
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Here's the next step:

Attached Images
File Type: png 5-paste special - all except borders.png (53.9 KB, 66 views)

Old 12-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #315
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

And, after the final step:

Attached Images
File Type: png 7-after exiting copy-paste mode.png (32.3 KB, 69 views)