Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-05-2017, 11:55 PM   #16
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
The Gronk hit was the worst of the season. I'm not sure what he's appealing. HE only got one game because he's a Patriot. That hit was classless. He's very lucky the guy he hit wasn't severely injured. One game for that? The NFL is losing me too. And yet Goodell makes something like 25 million a season. Laughable. Blame Kaepernick that seems to be the easy way out in the modern NFL.
Well said

Z
Old 12-06-2017, 12:02 AM   #17
NJ Stinks

I was glad Sean McDonough said "Shame on him." And Gruden backed him up.

But about 5 minutes later Gruden is telling us what a great coach Tomlin is. Why? Because he sees nothing wrong with his players brutalizing their opponents every week year after year?

Get rid of coaches who condone/turn a blind eye to the dirt their players do.

That's a basic step if you really want to stop the cheap shots.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:21 PM   #18
Robert Fischer
clean money

It's football.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #19
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
It's football.
If it doesn't change it will go extinct.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #20
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
If it doesn't change it will go extinct.
Will be interesting to see what happens.

High school football is one important barometer.
There's still a big market for high school football, especially in certain schools/districts.
I would expect data to show a correlation with (lower)income and participation, and trends that that show it to be increasingly moving in that direction.

Do the benefits of playing HS Football still outweigh the risks?
Old 12-10-2017, 12:07 PM   #21
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Will be interesting to see what happens.

High school football is one important barometer.
There's still a big market for high school football, especially in certain schools/districts.

I would expect data to show a correlation with (lower)income and participation, and trends that that show it to be increasingly moving in that direction.

Do the benefits of playing HS Football still outweigh the risks?
The Richmond Virginia area schools get quite a bit of coverage from the network news here, probably at least a 5-10 min segment of scores and highlights on Friday nights.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #22
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
The Richmond Virginia area schools get quite a bit of coverage from the network news here, probably at least a 5-10 min segment of scores and highlights on Friday nights.
High School football is BIG in some communities.
I grew up in Maryland(moderate interest, but big to HS students) and Western-Pa(loves their HS sports).
Richmond is big.
Florida and Texas are obviously big, as is much of the south.

I don't see it going anywhere. The only thing that I have noticed is that some of the schools in nicer suburban areas have had a decline in participation, even if they may have the most expensive, nicest football field in the league. Some of these schools basically have to recruit in order to reach the same level of participation and quality as they've had in the past.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:52 PM   #23
Valuist

We saw the effects of that game on display this past weekend. A terrible performance by the Bengals to get blown out by the Bears, and the Steelers needed every minute to pull out a one point win at home, and overcome a terrible defensive effort. If one bet both the Bengals and Steelers, they went 0-2.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #24
CincyHorseplayer

I failed to see this thread because we've had a love/hate relationship with this team in this city since Mike Brown took over. The Bengals of my youth in the 80's is just a distant memory. We have unfireable, lifetime coaches on this team. How is that possible? Mike Brown. We have no GM nor even an indoor practice facility in this climate. Marvin not getting a playoff win in 14 years=he should have been gone 2 seasons ago. Another window has passed with this current lineup. Not winning a playoff game in the 26 years of my adulthood, you just glaze over and turn off when this becomes an in season reality. We're F-in stuck with this BS in this city and no way out.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 06:55 PM   #25
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
I failed to see this thread because we've had a love/hate relationship with this team in this city since Mike Brown took over. The Bengals of my youth in the 80's is just a distant memory. We have unfireable, lifetime coaches on this team. How is that possible? Mike Brown. We have no GM nor even an indoor practice facility in this climate. Marvin not getting a playoff win in 14 years=he should have been gone 2 seasons ago. Another window has passed with this current lineup. Not winning a playoff game in the 26 years of my adulthood, you just glaze over and turn off when this becomes an in season reality. We're F-in stuck with this BS in this city and no way out.
Yep........when I lived in Columbus we really tried to cheer for the Bungles. After the early 80’s and the son took over.....they were really done.

The best thing to come out of the Bengals was when Gary Burbank on 700wlw did that radio bit "All my Bengals" for years. Ever hear that Cincy?
Old 12-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #26
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

After the ugly finish to the Jags/Seahawks game, why don't teams use the shotgun for their victory formation? That eliminates all the petty BS that Seattle was trying. Shotgun is a very common formation; the snap is not risky at all.
The QB kneels upon receiving the ball.
Problem solved
Old 12-12-2017, 10:37 PM   #27
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
After the ugly finish to the Jags/Seahawks game, why don't teams use the shotgun for their victory formation? That eliminates all the petty BS that Seattle was trying. Shotgun is a very common formation; the snap is not risky at all.
The QB kneels upon receiving the ball.
Problem solved
This might sound silly, but in high school I would actually take the snap kneeling down. As soon as you got it, you're down. Of course they don't have to touch like the pros, but I'd think in the NFL this is the same as the "giving yourself up" rule. Get the snap, you're down. End of play.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #28
MutuelClerk

I thought the Seattle guy over the center was trying to create a fumble and not trying to hurt the center. Maybe hoping for a Herm Edwards vs Giants moment from many years ago.

The Houston QB getting leveled in his own end zone and twitching while on the ground struggling to get back up and them being allowed to play the next series was much worse than anything that happened in the Jax- Sea game.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 08:46 AM   #29
forced89

One way to improve the game and make it less dangerous would be for the NFL to establish weight maximums for each position. Like boxers players would have to weigh in before each game. I know. It is radical but something has to be done or interest in the NFL will continue to decline.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #30
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced89 View Post
One way to improve the game and make it less dangerous would be for the NFL to establish weight maximums for each position. Like boxers players would have to weigh in before each game. I know. It is radical but something has to be done or interest in the NFL will continue to decline.
I don't think that makes a whole lot of difference, I played through college, just D3 playing linebacker at 220# I ran up against 300# guys you could throw out of the way easily and 180# guys that were a pain in the ass to fight off. Look back at the NFL game in the 60's that was before team weight training, supplements, steroids and most players had second jobs. They were smaller and slower yet players got as banged up as they do now. Players from that era suffered just as bad after their career ended as they do now.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: