Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-12-2017, 10:29 PM   #316
reckless
Veteran

If Moore winds up losing tonight -- and it looks like he's on his way to defeat, you can blame Nick Saban!

In every state-wide election in Alabama these past 8-10 years the leading vote-getter of those who write-in another candidate's name it is always Saban, by far.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 10:32 PM   #317
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
The AP just declared him the winner.
I am honestly speechless. I gave him a 35% chance at best. This was a Republican cluster f no matter what but I didn’t actually think they could screw up Alabama enough to actually lose. Pretty amazing.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 10:33 PM   #318
mostpost

Fox News and CNN both call it for Doug Jones.
No call yet from MSNBC
Old 12-12-2017, 10:40 PM   #319
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 10:51 PM   #320
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
If Moore winds up losing tonight -- and it looks like he's on his way to defeat, you can blame Nick Saban!

In every state-wide election in Alabama these past 8-10 years the leading vote-getter of those who write-in another candidate's name it is always Saban, by far.
1.66% of the vote so far which is more than in any Alabama Senate election other than in 2014 when Sessions didn’t have an opponent.

Looks like the final margin will be 1-2% which means the write in vote could have cost Moore the election.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:01 PM   #321
fast4522

Quote:

Alabama has spoken, I watched this race close enough to note where the biggest mistake Roy Stewart Moore made was his appearance on the Sean Hannity show and not performing by answering convincingly. I am usually wrong, but if he answered Hannity questions convincingly Moore would have had 50K more Alabama votes in conservative districts.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #322
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Alabama has spoken, I watched this race close enough to note where the biggest mistake Roy Stewart Moore made was his appearance on the Sean Hannity show and not performing by answering convincingly. I am usually wrong, but if he answered Hannity questions convincingly Moore would have had 50K more Alabama votes in conservative districts.
He answered very convincingly for a guy that dated teenagers in his 30’s. Pretty much nailed it which, I guess, is your point.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:09 PM   #323
_______
Veteran

Damning statement from Senate Leadership Fund CEO Steven Law: “This is a brutal reminder that candidate quality matters regardless of where you are running. Not only did Steve Bannon cost us a critical Senate seat in one of the most Republican states in the country, but he also dragged the President of the United States into his fiasco.”
Old 12-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #324
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
Moore was always a bit too creepy for my taste. I heard someone say tonight that in Moore's last state-wide election four years ago, which he won, he won with only 51 per cent of the vote. Jeff Sessions' Senate win on the same night, he won with 97 per cent approval.

But, you could thank Mitch McConnell and the GOP establishment for Roy Moore in the first place, and for his loss tonight.

The Trump Train will sputter a bit in 2018 but that's expected when the President's biggest enemy isn't the Democrats, but the GOP itself.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:23 PM   #325
Clocker

Quote:
Jeff Sessions' Senate win on the same night, he won with 97 per cent approval.
Sessions was running unopposed. The other 3% were write-ins for Nick Saban.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:24 PM   #326
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
1.66% of the vote so far which is more than in any Alabama Senate election other than in 2014 when Sessions didn’t have an opponent.

Looks like the final margin will be 1-2% which means the write in vote could have cost Moore the election.
Good work there posting the write-in vote percentage, Don. I never paid much attention to the write-in angle, maybe because I have lived in very large cities and states most of my life.

But, for the record, I don't think it is funny when I read or hear that people write in names such as Mickey Mouse, a Nick Saban, or even worse, the names of their pets.

One of the problems with all our elections is the general public simply will not get engaged. Yes it could be discouraging to do so considering the politicians we have but that's not really an excuse for the severe electoral apathy.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:25 PM   #327
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
Bullshit. 22k write ins beat him.........

Those who organized the write in campaign......are responsible
Old 12-12-2017, 11:28 PM   #328
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
This reminds me of the special election held in Massachusetts after Ted Kennedy died.Anti- Obama sentiment was near it's peak and the result was that Scott Brown, an unknown state senator from a sleepy corner of the state squeaked out a victory over the Democratic candidate (who had the opposite problem of Moore in that she was dull as dishwater).When the regular election came around Brown, despite leaving a highly favorable impression on voters, had his hat handed to him by Elizabeth Warren.I'm expecting the same result when Jones finishes the term, the GOP candidate, assuming he/she can put one foot in front of the other and not say/do stupid things should win easily.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #329
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Sessions was running unopposed. The other 3% were write-ins for Nick Saban.
Yes I forgot to post that above, clock, that Sessions ran unopposed but Moore still underperformed ... then and tonight, obviously.

And if Bama beats Clemson and Georgia/Oklahoma as I hope, Saban just might give them ol' boys a real run for their money in 2020.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:34 PM   #330
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Bullshit. 22k write ins beat him.........

Those who organized the write in campaign......are responsible
That's right, people were being forced at gunpoint to vote for third party candidates.

Isn't supporting candidates not put forth by the major parties all part of "draining the swamp"?

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: