Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-08-2019, 11:53 PM   #481
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob60566 View Post
Highnote

Would North American horses be trained the same way as they are today under the Hong Kong Model Track.?
By the way... I started a thread about creating a hybrid US/HK model in the U.S. at this link:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=151453

But to answer your question, I am not a trainer, so I can't speak to the HK training methods.

However, I do like the Barrier Trial races that HK runs. These are training races. I am not certain, but I think sometimes the stewards require a horse to run a barrier trial before it can enter a regular race. The horse must be proven to be qualified to run in a betting race. It might also be the case that a horse that has shown that it cannot compete well in a regular race must also re-qualify by running in a barrier trial.

But that's a good question. Why do you ask?

Last edited by highnote; 04-08-2019 at 11:58 PM.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2019, 12:10 AM   #482
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
By the way... I started a thread about creating a hybrid US/HK model in the U.S. at this link:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=151453

But to answer your question, I am not a trainer, so I can't speak to the HK training methods.

However, I do like the Barrier Trial races that HK runs. These are training races. I am not certain, but I think sometimes the stewards require a horse to run a barrier trial before it can enter a regular race. The horse must be proven to be qualified to run in a betting race. It might also be the case that a horse that has shown that it cannot compete well in a regular race must also re-qualify by running in a barrier trial.

But that's a good question. Why do you ask?
Good answer and I'll just add my 2 cents.

I believe that If the Hong Kong racing model were ever really implemented somewhere in the U.S. that 2 things will have a huge impact when it comes to the workout agenda: Medication regulations and trials.

Of course many already recognize the HK medication restrictions, but how many realize how much those restrictions affect the workout frequency of the horses in HK.

Then again, in HK they really don’t conduct workouts the same way they’re done here in the States. They hold racing trials each week where groups of horses actually compete on a limited speed and distance scale.
These trials are conducted for 2 reasons:
First of course is to improve a horse’s physical condition, but they’re also used to confirm a horse’s ability to compete after it’s been laid off a while (for any number of reasons).
In other words, the HK Jockey Club will not permit any horse that they deem to be unfit to actually participate in a future race where betting is involved. (Just another simple but effective safeguard which adds to the integrity of their product)
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2019, 12:14 AM   #483
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Highnote

Nitro covered them but whole culture change would have to happen.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2019, 12:47 AM   #484
highnote

Quote:
Highnote

Nitro covered them but whole culture change would have to happen.
A whole culture change would not have to happen if you added a handicap division and also kept the same old Open division that we now have. There used to be a lot of handicap races back in the day. Wasn't it Forego who ran some amazing races while carrying an extremely high weight? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forego

Check out my newest post in the Racing Czar thread where I outline the entire concept:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...30#post2450630

Last edited by highnote; 04-09-2019 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:10 AM   #485
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Why do you say that?

It could be a low cost entry into the game. A lot of people buy cheap claimers. Hell, my group paid $500 for a horse once in a private sale that our trainer negotiated and it went on to break its maiden in a maiden claimer at Mountaineer.

HK uses a lottery system to admit new owners. I think the CNN piece said there are 1,000 applications every year, but only 200 are selected.

If the idea is implemented well people would be interested.

Winning your first race is a much better feeling than watching someone you have no connection to win the KY Derby.
So your plan is for these to be a bunch of cheap horses trained by bottom of the barrel trainers? Not seeing how this seems attractive to you.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2019, 02:14 AM   #486
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
So your plan is for these to be a bunch of cheap horses trained by bottom of the barrel trainers? Not seeing how this seems attractive to you.
Who says they have to be cheap horses? Who says they have to be trained by bottom of the barrel trainers? If owners want to win they will buy the best horses and hire the best trainers. At least that's what they do in HK.

It is probably better to keep this thread limited to posts about Santa Anita.

I have started a thread on this topic and outlined the concept in more detail at this link:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...0&postcount=14
Old 04-09-2019, 01:41 PM   #487
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Yes, that’s correct! A link from 2007. (In case you can’t count – that’s 12 years ago!)
Its about an episode at HK Happy Valley race course that involved an ATTEMPT to interfere with a horse race. In case you have trouble comprehending this editorial, the bottom line is nothing ever happened because it was discovered before any races took place.
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/27/s.../27horses.html

Do you have any other timely or credible information that you would like to share AskinHaskin ???

It seems you are the one struggling to comprehend.

I never said that “anything ever happened” (whatever that means).

This was just the scheme that was (literally) unearthed. Where there is one there are many more which are successful.

Why go on championing a racing industry of which you clearly understand no part?

The main difference between HK and U S racing from your perspective is that you think you know who the cheats are in America while you continue to have zero clue or understanding about HK.

Your clueless reply is akin to finding a buzzer near the 1/8 pole at Beulah Park and assuring “It was never used”.

Nice try though.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #488
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
It seems you are the one struggling to comprehend.

I never said that “anything ever happened” (whatever that means).

This was just the scheme that was (literally) unearthed. Where there is one there are many more which are successful.

Why go on championing a racing industry of which you clearly understand no part?

The main difference between HK and U S racing from your perspective is that you think you know who the cheats are in America while you continue to have zero clue or understanding about HK.

Your clueless reply is akin to finding a buzzer near the 1/8 pole at Beulah Park and assuring “It was never used”.

Nice try though.
Looks like I’ve struck a nerve! (Or whatever it is that excites you)

You didn't have to say anything! I certainly had no problem comprehending your original intentions of posting such a ridiculous and dated commentary. It’s as if you’ve miraculously uncovered some serious mischief's within the HK racing game. Of course, by your standards if something looks like it might be wrong, it MUST be wrong.

I’m not sure where or how you could possible derive my perception of HK racing (or even US racing for that matter), but you’ve once again you’ve put your foot in your mouth! I’ve learned more about HK racing in the last 5 years then you will ever imagine with that limited mentality of yours.

By the way I don’t play cheaters, nor do I care to know who they are. I play insiders who have clearly demonstrated their intentions of trying to win with their horses.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2019, 02:54 AM   #489
Suff
Beat up 💪

https://www.pastthewire.com/experiment-cancelled/

Santa Anita, once known as The Great Race Place, is becoming somewhat of a joke due to the inconsistency in their statements as they relate to the fatality crisis that has plagued the track this meet.

An experiment to have riders ride with no riding crops or whips whatsoever on April 12th, 2019 has been cancelled. The riders will now be allowed to carry crops. The Lasix ban was previously abandoned for a phase out approach over time. An emergency meeting by the CHRB to discuss moving the current meets dates was also cancelled after the track ran three days without incident.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #490
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post
Santa Anita, once known as The Great Race Place, is becoming somewhat of a joke due to the inconsistency in their statements as they relate to the fatality crisis that has plagued the track this meet.

An experiment to have riders ride with no riding crops or whips whatsoever on April 12th, 2019 has been cancelled. The riders will now be allowed to carry crops. The Lasix ban was previously abandoned for a phase out approach over time. An emergency meeting by the CHRB to discuss moving the current meets dates was also cancelled after the track ran three days without incident.
All the while, everyone is silent on the second breakdown in 4 days at KEE.

I can find no report on the outcome for Mandel in the last yesterday, but it didn’t look good.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #491
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
All the while, everyone is silent on the second breakdown in 4 days at KEE.

I can find no report on the outcome for Mandel in the last yesterday, but it didn’t look good.
I've found one person to say something, and it's that the horse was euthanized.

So that's 2 in 4 racing days, unless there were more that people are being equally quiet about.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:46 PM   #492
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suff View Post

I read SA is banning all race day drugs starting with next year's two year olds. It would be great if the entire country followed their lead.

Last edited by highnote; 04-13-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:46 PM   #493
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

SA going to try out the Ramon Dominguez whip Sunday I heard.
TVG did spot on it last weekend.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:29 PM   #494
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
I read SA is banning all race day drugs starting with next year's two year olds. It would be great if the entire country followed their lead.
Well one trainer as dispersed his San Anita stable already.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-13-2019, 08:10 PM   #495
taxicab

Quote:
Well one trainer as dispersed his San Anita stable already.
Which one ?
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply