Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-18-2018, 11:15 PM   #1
dilanesp

only 33,000 on track at DMR opening day

They have lost a significant number of casual fans. I am sure Joe Harper was wincing at the small crowd, no matter what he says publicly.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2018, 11:17 PM   #2
Andy Asaro

All sources up 14%.

Didn't look like many people were there. The figs they came up with were at least 10K off IMO.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2018, 11:54 PM   #3
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
They have lost a significant number of casual fans. I am sure Joe Harper was wincing at the small crowd, no matter what he says publicly.
why would they lose casual fans at a boutique party meet?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 12:04 AM   #4
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
why would they lose casual fans at a boutique party meet?
I don't know. But it is clearly happening. And honestly, Harper should stop publicly lobbying for another BC at Del Mar and try to figure out how to stop the bleeding. Tracks that lose their live fanbases rarely get them back.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:35 AM   #5
Inner Dirt

Isn't 33,000 make for a pretty crowded place? I used to go to Del Mar frequently between 1979-1995 and remember it to be a pretty small venue.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 08:30 AM   #6
AndyC

Quote:
So maybe Del Mar doesn't have it figured out. Their vision isn't immune to the decline in the popularity of racing.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 09:43 AM   #7
the little guy

Perhaps, and this is just a guess on my part, Del Mar stopped giving out a ton of invites to random people for Opening Day, as they realized the overflow did little for them other than to inflate a relatively meaningless number.

Even for the internet, criticizing 33K and over $15 million in handle seems a little harsh ( or some might even say silly ). First day of the meet is probably a little early to be doing the chicken little act.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 10:12 AM   #8
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Isn't 33,000 make for a pretty crowded place? I used to go to Del Mar frequently between 1979-1995 and remember it to be a pretty small venue.
The pre-1992 grandstand never saw 33k. But the current plant holds 45k easily.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #9
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Perhaps, and this is just a guess on my part, Del Mar stopped giving out a ton of invites to random people for Opening Day, as they realized the overflow did little for them other than to inflate a relatively meaningless number.

Even for the internet, criticizing 33K and over $15 million in handle seems a little harsh ( or some might even say silly ). First day of the meet is probably a little early to be doing the chicken little act.
Andy, there average daily attendance has been in decline for a few years too. And the Pacific Classic has lost half of its live fans.

If they had been comping people on opening day, that is news to me. Not saying you are wrong about this, though.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #10
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Quote:
The pre-1992 grandstand never saw 33k. But the current plant holds 45k easily.

I just did some digging and I was there last Saturday August 10, 1996 an article in the Washington Post said the crowd was 35,000 and it was packed solid, so something must have expanded since then. That was the Pacific Classic where Cigar's winning streak was snapped.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #11
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Andy, there average daily attendance has been in decline for a few years too. And the Pacific Classic has lost half of its live fans.

If they had been comping people on opening day, that is news to me. Not saying you are wrong about this, though.
Couldn't this be related to the extra meet they now schedule in the fall? I imagine if Saratoga started running a second meet the same would happen there.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 11:10 AM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The racing was good and I made money.
I don't care how many were there, other than those who contributed to my totals!

My boycott of California is officially over.

I am looking forward to Saratoga Friday, and I don't care how many show up there either. I have only one Lazy Boy in my computer room.

As a customer, I am concerned with the product - which was excellent and
will certainly be on Friday.

When you go to dinner at a restaurant, do you jump for joy when you find out there is a 2 hour wait for a table, or are you thankful if you get right and get a good table?

Del Mar and Saratoga pay professional people to worry about the inner workings.
How much are you getting?

This is the prime racing season - enjoy it!
Have fun.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:35 AM   #13
Robert Fischer
clean money

Question

This thread is bizarre.

I agree with much of what Tom said.

While handle is generally not a representation of on-track attendees, I couldn't help but lick my chops when seeing a good sized crowd who appeared to be there to have fun and be seen and bet some money.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:34 PM   #14
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post

Opening day is THE day for Del Mar and always has been. It is a good barometer of interest from fans not found on horse racing forums. The small crowd speaks volumes to that end.

The good news is that the product was good, fields were full and the bettors stepped up. If the product quality remains high it should be a great meet for bettors, but not necessarily a great on-track meet for Del Mar looking to pry money from their customers via $15 margaritas and $12 beers.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 02:46 PM   #15
GMB@BP

http://www.drf.com/news/opening-day-...ople-continues
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: