Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 4.54 average.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:34 PM   #1531
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker
Most voters don't like Trump either. Unless you are part of the choir he is preaching to, he is at least as unlikable as Cruz.

I'm not so sure about that. Most liberal voters don't like him. Celebrity is a huge thing in this country, Americans treat celebrities like royalty. Because of The Apprentice, millions of Americans have seen Trump in a very favorable light, raising millions for charity and appearing genuine, kind, and fair minded. That may have been all an act, but it did show him as a likable guy.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #1532
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
I'm not so sure about that. Most liberal voters don't like him. Celebrity is a huge thing in this country, Americans treat celebrities like royalty. Because of The Apprentice, millions of Americans have seen Trump in a very favorable light, raising millions for charity and appearing genuine, kind, and fair minded. That may have been all an act, but it did show him as a likable guy.
He wouldn't be polling at close to 30 % if he wasn't likable, I'd be inclined to say he is lovable.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2015, 05:00 PM   #1533
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo
He wouldn't be polling at close to 30 % if he wasn't likable, I'd be inclined to say he is lovable.
On the surface that would seem to be the case. But, how accurate do the polls reflect those who will really determine the nomination? I have almost no idea of the number and demographics of those polled. If anyone does, please post that data.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2015, 05:21 PM   #1534
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
On the surface that would seem to be the case. But, how accurate do the polls reflect those who will really determine the nomination? I have almost no idea of the number and demographics of those polled. If anyone does, please post that data.
The latest NBC/WSJ poll shows Trump with 25% and Carson with 22%. The responses are limited to registered voters who say that they will vote in the GOP primaries.

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-pres...behind-n447291
Old 10-20-2015, 06:45 PM   #1535
fast4522

Consider that it does not matter what is left or right to Donald Trump, what floats his boat might be setting our country straight to some resemblance of what it once was. An impossible task indeed, but setting the global movement of world court/world monetary system/ world order back twenty years. Heck if Trump got elected Henry Kissinger would have a heart attack. Anything that would give Henry Kissinger and George Soros extreme gas I am for.
fast4522 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #1536
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
The latest NBC/WSJ poll shows Trump with 25% and Carson with 22%. The responses are limited to registered voters who say that they will vote in the GOP primaries.

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-pres...behind-n447291
Ok, so 400 Republican voters who say they will vote in the primaries is the extent of the poll? Not very many people, and there are no other demographics shown for those 400 people either. Don't know about you, but 400 Republicans who say they will vote in the primaries, with no other info about them, doesn't seem to me to be significant, or meaningful, regarding the people who will actually vote in the primaries. Just saying ------

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2015, 08:01 PM   #1537
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
Ok, so 400 Republican voters who say they will vote in the primaries is the extent of the poll? Not very many people, and there are no other demographics shown for those 400 people either. Don't know about you, but 400 Republicans who say they will vote in the primaries, with no other info about them, doesn't seem to me to be significant, or meaningful, regarding the people who will actually vote in the primaries. Just saying ------
I agree. The poll numbers at this point are of little meaning. For starters, people lie to pollsters, or lie to themselves when talking to pollsters. I'd be amazed if half of those 400 people actually voted in primaries. They may mean it now, but they won't. If I remember right, the national average is that about 15% of qualified voters actually vote in primaries.

According to Gallup, about 30% of voters self-identify as Republican. Without speculating as to how many of them will actually vote, what the polls show is that Trump has the support of 25% of that 30% of the electorate.
Old 10-21-2015, 06:00 AM   #1538
fast4522

With one week left to October and Del Mar's second meet due to open Donald Trump has still not gone away, why are peoples heads exploding with the thought of him getting the republican nomination? Sticking it to the establishment means more crossover votes, in the general election we could see independent voters turn noses up against both party establishments.
fast4522 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #1539
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
I agree. The poll numbers at this point are of little meaning. For starters, people lie to pollsters, or lie to themselves when talking to pollsters. I'd be amazed if half of those 400 people actually voted in primaries. They may mean it now, but they won't. If I remember right, the national average is that about 15% of qualified voters actually vote in primaries.

According to Gallup, about 30% of voters self-identify as Republican. Without speculating as to how many of them will actually vote, what the polls show is that Trump has the support of 25% of that 30% of the electorate.
All polls should always be taken with a grain of salt. I look at all polls with a jaundice eye, even when it's my guys that are doing well.

That said, when pundunts and posters here suggest that polls (or primaries) are basically meaningless because a small percentage of people take part -- only 400 people asked in one poll, or just 25% of 30% in another -- that tells me that the candidate that is leading is not the person that's preferred by the poster or expert.

I do know this: if Jeb Bush was leading in all polls while constantly getting 20-25 per cent approval over 17 candidates for four months as Donald Trump has been doing, the experts here and in the media world would be saying that Jeb has locked up the GOP nomination and that this race is now over!
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2015, 09:51 AM   #1540
MutuelClerk

Agree Reckless. Personally I think the party has told Jeb you're not going to win the nomination. Please try take out the Donald on your way out the door.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2015, 10:07 AM   #1541
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless
I do know this: if Jeb Bush was leading in all polls while constantly getting 20-25 per cent approval over 17 candidates for four months as Donald Trump has been doing, the experts here and in the media world would be saying that Jeb has locked up the GOP nomination and that this race is now over!
In a "normal" election cycle, in that situation Jeb would be in a much stronger position than Trump is now. Jeb would have the support of the GOP establishment, which is necessary to get the nomination. A significant number of states do not have primaries, and nominating delegates are chosen at state conventions or closed caucuses.

This is not a normal election cycle. At present, three non-politicians combined have a majority of support in the polls. I would give the polls less credence now than normally, and I would say that they mean very little until after a few primaries. I'd guess that a lower than normal percentage of people that poll in support of Trump or Carson will actually vote in the primaries.

Meanwhile, Trump continues to be a rabble rouser and continues to alienate people. He recently in effect said that Bush allowed the 911 attack to happen, and that if he had been president then, he would have prevented it. Yesterday, he said that if he was president, he would "look at" closing certain mosques in this country because of radical views.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:28 AM   #1542
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
In a "normal" election cycle, in that situation Jeb would be in a much stronger position than Trump is now. Jeb would have the support of the GOP establishment, which is necessary to get the nomination. A significant number of states do not have primaries, and nominating delegates are chosen at state conventions or closed caucuses.

This is not a normal election cycle. At present, three non-politicians combined have a majority of support in the polls. I would give the polls less credence now than normally, and I would say that they mean very little until after a few primaries. I'd guess that a lower than normal percentage of people that poll in support of Trump or Carson will actually vote in the primaries.

Meanwhile, Trump continues to be a rabble rouser and continues to alienate people. He recently in effect said that Bush allowed the 911 attack to happen, and that if he had been president then, he would have prevented it. Yesterday, he said that if he was president, he would "look at" closing certain mosques in this country because of radical views.
I agree with you that Donald Trump and his views are radical. And I'd like to add that I feel both Ben Carson and Ted Cruz are radicals as well.

This country is in the pits and has been for close to 35 years. You can thank the far left, anti-American liberal agenda, and the corrupt 'solid' Republican establishment, owned by the Fortune 500 anti-American corporate lobby, for the shit hole that they've all helped to create.

We need radicals such as Trump, Carson, and Cruz plus their ideas and solutions, to get this once-great country back on the right track.

Thanks to the sheep that bought into the b-shat and lies from the mainstream political and media class we have a lot of work ahead of us.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #1543
onefast99

Quote:

He is and always will be a person that has no issue stating what needs to be fixed and based on how the terrorists easily obtained entry into the US and trained at flight schools "learning to fly a plane but not land it" yes we could have prevented this from happening but we didn't despite numerous red flags. I have no issue with how Trump is now attacking the present political system in the USA it has led to many of our current issues. Hopefully you like the fact he is a doer and not a promiser like every other candidate turns out to be. I would give him a chance why not?
Old 10-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #1544
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Trump....Carlson....Carly.

A clear message that we are sick and tired of the dirt bags that call themselves republicans and want ANYONE but one of them.

Most republicans are far too stupid to get it.
Let's hope Trump wins it....if for nothing else than to finally destroy the GOP.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #1545
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

The latest from Trump...

I was against the war in Afghanistan before I was for it (Google it).

Will he run as a Dem when he loses the Rep nomination? He's switched political parties more than Michael Bloomberg.

Hillary would crush him in debates. Love her or hate her (I strongly, strongly dislike her), she's a great debater. Won every debate in 2008 against Obama except the one in Philly (poor prep work on the NY drivers' license issue).

None of this matters, he'll hire the right person to debate Hillary. Too bad, he won't be the candidate.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply