Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-17-2019, 12:42 AM   #91
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Agree everything in your post except for the bolded part.

According to stats on The Jockey Club Website, today's thoroughbreds barely average 6 starts per year. (As recently as 1975 they averaged more than 10 starts per year.)

Follow the red line on the graph below:
http://www.jockeyclub.com/default.as...ion=FB&area=10
Ok..The range was merely an estimate.
I had no idea the present number was that few...
Nevertheless. That still upholds my main point that either by choice or necessity, Thoroughbred horses race much less frequently than in the past.
I believe it is a combination of trainer choice and the fact that these horses of today are not as durable as their predecessors.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #92
chadk66

Here is my suspicion on one major contributing factor to this. As stated horses run very infrequently now days. They go so long between races now that they loose conditioning because 99% of trainers don’t train horses hard enough to keep them fit. So essentially they are being raced back to condition every time they run. When a horse gets tired late in a race is when things go to hell in regards to their legs.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #93
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
Here is my suspicion on one major contributing factor to this. As stated horses run very infrequently now days. They go so long between races now that they loose conditioning because 99% of trainers don’t train horses hard enough to keep them fit. So essentially they are being raced back to condition every time they run. When a horse gets tired late in a race is when things go to hell in regards to their legs.
How closely do you follow Santa Anita? How many races from there have you watched this year?
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 10:01 AM   #94
chadk66

None. And that has to do with my statement?
Old 03-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #95
Mulerider

Quote:
Here is my suspicion on one major contributing factor to this. As stated horses run very infrequently now days. They go so long between races now that they loose conditioning because 99% of trainers don’t train horses hard enough to keep them fit.
That's why quite a few people were keeping an eye on an 11-year-old mare, LUCY E., yesterday in R3 at Turfway Park. Presumably retired after her 68th race on Oct. 31, 2015, and having earned $202,783, she didn't make it as a broodmare. So it's back to racing!

She finished last of ten, beaten 22.5 lengths.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 10:32 AM   #96
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
None. And that has to do with my statement?
Because you’re totally unaware of the situation. It’s amusing to me that someone totally unaware of what is going on has so many opinions on it.

I realize this may seem foreign to you but it helps if you actually understand what is going on, how it started, progressed and how we got here. It helps if you understand TSG fired their long standing racing secretary right before the meet and their long standing super “retired” (forced out more or less) before the meet.

It helps if you understand the racing secretary and Ritvo were more or less pressuring trainers to stay in races they did not want to run in. It helps if you understand trainers were working and running horses MORE frequently than they would normally, especially cheaper ones because the secretary has no idea about his horse population. How many small issues led to catastrophic ones because horses were not given proper time to heal?

So if we’re running horses over a surface that was sealed like crazy, more frequently, because all we care about is the bottom line and a pick 6, what do you think happens?
Old 03-17-2019, 10:58 AM   #97
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahossdaboss View Post
Because you’re totally unaware of the situation. It’s amusing to me that someone totally unaware of what is going on has so many opinions on it.

I realize this may seem foreign to you but it helps if you actually understand what is going on, how it started, progressed and how we got here. It helps if you understand TSG fired their long standing racing secretary right before the meet and their long standing super “retired” (forced out more or less) before the meet.

It helps if you understand the racing secretary and Ritvo were more or less pressuring trainers to stay in races they did not want to run in. It helps if you understand trainers were working and running horses MORE frequently than they would normally, especially cheaper ones because the secretary has no idea about his horse population. How many small issues led to catastrophic ones because horses were not given proper time to heal?

So if we’re running horses over a surface that was sealed like crazy, more frequently, because all we care about is the bottom line and a pick 6, what do you think happens?
that is not unique with racing secretaries now. They are no longer racing secretaries they are negotiators now. You act like that is all unique to SA. Well it’s not. And tracks that experience far more annual rain fall race and train on sealed tracks probably ten times more.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #98
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
that is not unique with racing secretaries now. They are no longer racing secretaries they are negotiators now. You act like that is all unique to SA. Well it’s not. And tracks that experience far more annual rain fall race and train on sealed tracks probably ten times more.
Once again...you have no idea what you are talking about in regards to this situation. You’ve admitted as much. Why you continue to opine on a situation you admitted you don’t follow is beyond me but I’m done with you.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:13 AM   #99
chadk66

Quote:
Once again...you have no idea what you are talking about in regards to this situation. You’ve admitted as much. Why you continue to opine on a situation you admitted you don’t follow is beyond me but I’m done with you.
You read way more into my statements than what I say. I simply stated what you just told me was not unique to SA. How more clear do you need that put. Shit Cby put their first condition book out in early feb. they don’t open till May and stall apps weren’t even being accepted yet. That’s insane. He has no damn idea aside from MN breeds what he is gonna have for horses. These secretaries have no sense anymore. This happens at most tracks. I think it’s because they don’t want to pay the price for good ones. It’s mind boggling.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:18 AM   #100
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
You read way more into my statements than what I say. I simply stated what you just told me was not unique to SA. How more clear do you need that put. Shit Cby put their first condition book out in early feb. they don’t open till May and stall apps weren’t even being accepted yet. That’s insane. He has no damn idea aside from MN breeds what he is gonna have for horses. These secretaries have no sense anymore. This happens at most tracks. I think it’s because they don’t want to pay the price for good ones. It’s mind boggling.
This situation is unique to Santa Anita. That’s what you don’t get. You want to simply everything because you’re not familiar with the situation when in fact it’s quite complex.

Carry on.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:26 AM   #101
chadk66

Quote:
This situation is unique to Santa Anita. That’s what you don’t get. You want to simply everything because you’re not familiar with the situation when in fact it’s quite complex.

Carry on.
You can believe whatever you want I guess.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #102
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
I will. I’ll deal with this situation because I know about it and you can pretend you do.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #103
airford1

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/t...806_105153.mp4
Link to an interview with UC Davis Rick Arthur in 2017. Simple to the Medication point.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #104
airford1

Quote:
As a past owner of Race horses, I believe that we have pushed the envelope to the edge to keep horses racing. It's a fringe sport that is no longer supported with an excess of Breeding, or a way to make a profit. Racing will go back to the local river beds and that will be that.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2019, 12:15 PM   #105
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
As a past owner of Race horses, I believe that we have pushed the envelope to the edge to keep horses racing. It's a fringe sport that is no longer supported with an excess of Breeding, or a way to make a profit. Racing will go back to the local river beds and that will be that.
i totally agree with that.