Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 06-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #1
Teach

Meadowlands: Friday, June 22

Race One:

In this CKG Billings amateur trot, I’m befuddled. I freely admit it. Try as I might, I have lots of trouble handicapping this race. Many imponderables. I feel like throwing darts at a dartboard, blindfolded. This race is a head-shaker.

1 EJ’S LAST DANCE. This mare won her last up at “the Spa”. She draws the rail, once again. Many options. Should be sitting a good trip. Bob Davis is a veteran reinsman. Most capable. Yet, to think that this mare can win two-straight, I have doubts. However, having said that, with the right trip, she can prevail. Useable.

2 TOSS CARTWRIGHT. If intellect equated with winning on the track, this gelding would be there every time. I’m talking about his driver, Peter “The Renaissance Man” Kleinhans. Yet, this 7-year old has been in a funk, at least when it comes to contending in these amateur events. Is tonight different from all other nights?

3 LANDON FITZ won one of these amateur events back many moons ago. Under the heading: What have you done for me, lately? Not much! This guy could complete an exotic. However, I’m leaning in the direction of this horse being an “also-ran”. David Yarock drives. Dawn Devaux (Jimmy’s wife) trains.

4 WAR CRY got off to a brisk start at Harrah’s Philadelphia in his last. He set a very sharp time for that first panel. Yet, this veteran gelding finished off the board. Now, that was with G-Nap. I’m not sure Bob Heckoff will try for the top. If he does, there will likely company to his outside. Nick Surick trains.

5 GIANNI. The last time Matt Zuccarello drove him at The Meadows this guy went off at slightly better than even-money. He broke. Not too reassuring; yet, the company was better. If this guy can stay flat, he might do something.

6 SUPER MANNING. This 10-year old bay gelding is my top pick. This gelding’s driver, “Joltin’ Joe” Pennacchio, is a solid reinsman. The former CEO drove two winners last week at Monticello. This guy went off as “the chalk” in that one; yet, he broke at the start. This veteran trotter then regrouped and ended up winning in the stretch (he did benefit when the lead horse, the apparent winner, broke stride; this guy picked up the pieces). Caveat: He must stay flat.

7 AVENTURE. This guy was the betting favorite in the race that was won by this evening’s #1 horse, the mare: EJ’s Last Dance. The starting post in that one might have been a factor; it doesn’t get better this evening. I’m not sure what to expect. This gelding has to hope for both speedy up-front fractions and “live cover”. Tony Ciuffetelli drives and trains. Possible board-hitter if he works out the trip.

8 WINWOOD SCOUT draws outside (I’m not crazy about that). Dave Glasser will likely be heading directly for the top as the starter’s car wings retract. How efficiently he mounts that early charge will say a lot about this guy’s chances of winning this race. Obviously, if he can get to the top without too much exertion, he becomes “a player”. Otherwise, he may well end up as an “also-ran”. Much will be determined in those first fifteen seconds. Possible, but will need to comfortably make the lead.

Race Two:

2 WHISPERING OAKS. Those were solid times for this Father Patrick-sired 2-year old trotter. He trotted those miles right here at Club Med; that increases my confidence level. “The Green Hornet,” Yannick Gingras, reprises the drive. Jimmy Takter trains. Others: 5 Starita; 6 Given; 3 Ma Was Right.

Race Three:

3 SOUTHWIND CHROME gets my nod in this 3 and 4-year old trot. What impresses me about this guy is his race two back at Vernon Downs in which he covered the Vernon, NY oval in a scintillating 1:51.2 (he finished 2nd to Six Pack). If this Chapter Seven-bred can hark back to that effort, he will be tough to beat here. The question is: “Can he?” Scott Zeron is in the sulky for trainer Paula Wellwood. Others: 6 Velvatter; 5 Quantum Kemp; 8 Broadway Bruiser.

Race Four:

6 ZLATAN looked a tad short in his last (he appeared to hang in the stretch; yet, in his favor, he showed a lot of heart by hanging on for 3rd as a 2-1 shot). He also was first over in the second tier (that might have taken something out of him; no “slingshot” opportunity). Today is another day. I’m looking for bigger and better things from this Muscle Mass-bred gelding. Vinny Ginsburg is most capable (he did a good job with this guy in finding a tuck on that first turn). Do I hear: “Live cover”? “Uncle Vinny” Fusco, Jr. trains. Others: 3 Fiji; 7 Gold Medal Swan; 1 Celebrity Eventsy.

Race Five:

1 SUN SHINES BRIGHT (“on my old Kentucky home”) is my selection. This SomeBeachSomeWhere-bred filly disappointed by finishing 2nd in her last as a 1-to-2 shot. A chance to make amends (don’t expect much at “the windows”). It’s Le Frelon Vert. Monsieur Yannick Gingras, Sorel-Tracy sur Saint Lawrence, Quebec, Canada. This 3-year old bay looks like an “up-and-comer”. Others: 3 Princess Holly N; 4 Hurrikane Empress; 7 Lonely Days.

Race Six:

5 ATABOY HANOVER is my upset try. This guy appeared to need his last start at Pocono (he finished 5th). I believe with that one “under his belt,” he’s ready for bigger and better things. Scott Zeron is in the bike for trainer Mark Harder. Others: 3 Chapter Too; 2 Misslarose; 4 Lindy the Great.

Race Seven:

5 KAITLYN N is in outstanding form. She’s won 5 of her last six. The only time she didn’t win, she finished 2nd. Art Stafford, Jr. reprises the drive for trainer Joshua Parker. Others: 6 Rockin Praline; 2 OK Heavenly; 6 Perplexed.

Race Eight:

1 ZEPHYR KRONOS, a Hambletonian eligible, has been very sharp. Jimmy Taker who drives, trains and partially owns, held on for the win last week. This Ready Cash-bred gets the rail. I believe he can prevail once again. Others: 8 Dream Baby Dream; 2 Seviyorum; 4 Rich Uncle.

Race Nine:

7 BEYONCES ROCKN gets some class relief. This Jennifer Lappe-trainee should do well against this caliber of competition. Scott Zeron is in the sulky. This gal should be coming late. Others: 8 Fina Patina; 9 Intoview; 3 Daenerys Hanover.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply