Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-06-2023, 07:23 PM   #1
Nitro

Thumbs up BLUE GRASS STAKES – SAT 4/8 -

KEENLAND SAT 4/8 -BLUE GRASS STK – R9 - 1&1/8 Mi
Code:

PP	M/L	ENTRY			PROFILE
#1	5/2	Tapit Trice				NF/102/ XWO / NO RACE OVER TRK
#2	30/1	Clear the Air		ON/87/ GWO / NO RACE OVER TRK
#3	3/1	Verifying		OM/99/ XWO / RACED OVER TRK
#4	12/1	Classic Car Wash	       ON/97/ FWO / NO RACE OVER TRK
#5	15/1	Hayes Strike		       ON/96/ GWO / RACED OVER TRK
#6	15/1	Scoobie Quando	       ON/95/ XWO / NO RACE OVER TRK
#7	10/1	Sun Thunder				OF/98/ NO WO/ NO RACE OVER TRK
#8	6/1	Blazing Sevens		 ON/98/ XWO / RACED OVER TRK
#9	30/1	Major Blue		MK/85/ PWO / NO RACE OVER TRK	
#10	9/2	Raise Cain			 ON/95/ XWO / RACED OVER TRK
#11	20/1	Mendelssohns March	OM/92/ XWO / NO RACE OVER TRK
There’s not much strong early speed in this race which could set it up nicely for a gate-to-wire win/
The best of those making MK the pace would be the who has every opportunity to steal it.
The best of those running ON the pace would be the , , ,, and . Not much separates them.
The best of those running OFF the pace would be the .

In the interim, I’m leaning toward keying the and with the , , , and for vertical play.
My final betting choices and type of bet will be based on how the live betting shapes up.

GL

Last edited by Nitro; 04-06-2023 at 07:32 PM.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2023, 01:32 AM   #2
boys at tosconova

the 1 seems like much the best. I will. say the rail might mess him up and get him bumped around. not where I would want to be as a closer still learning to race with the rail.

have to think brown will bounce back here. don't know what to expect from verifying.

not much speed in here at all.
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2023, 10:39 AM   #3
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

You can pick apart the favorites and make cases for others to really even this field. Pace looks fair, with little standing out early or late. If anything, there's a pileup of midpack runners. Hard to see winning wire-to-wire or dropping out of the clouds. Best chances would seem to come from the front of mid pack with solid late run or stalking the pace outright.

Hard to take any short price on that. The challenge is not to bloat verticals trying to catch a number. Let's see if we can find a worthy key, taking them in ML order.

Tapit Trice is ordained as the horse to beat, but he doesn't have to win. Unless Saez can upgrade his position early, he'll have to navigate 10 horses to prevail—from the rail. His figs don't stand out. He is winning and improving for top connections with upside to spare, but favored each time, way odds-on last time with a late-favoring track. Hasn't beat much, but probably hasn't shown his best. How short a price can you take on that?

Verifying really pops on TFUS metrics. Looks to be stalking close early, packing a standout late pace rating. Best speed fig by a few points (earned with a tough trip in the slop). Raced a couple G1s—more class than most here, even in defeat. Stellar connections. Caught slop for 40% of his record, muddying his capability. Easy to like with little in his way—that's why he's second choice. He's only won at a mile or less and his pedigree points to sprints. Is he better shorter?

Raise Cain looks to be clear of half the pack early and he can run late. Best speed fig in the Gotham matches the favorite, but he rallied from 9th to win on that muddy track favoring closers. Broke his maiden here in a race that makes him competitive, stole place in the Gun Runner at 23-1, but just seems to be holding his own rather than moving forward. Hasn't won over more than a mile. Rosario aboard this Colebrook trainee, with the home team on another entrant. Worth consideration as a midpack choice near 10-1, but not third choice for half that.

Blazing Sevens shows up with Irad Ortiz aboard and three G1s under its belt (two in the slop). Earned the field's second-best speed fig, twice, once in a tough BC Juvie. Flopped in the FoY after that last time out. Certainly fits here; really comes down to how forgiving you want to be about that last race. I can get behind this one at 6-1 fourth choice—but seems more likely for the 9-2 third choice slot than .

Sun Thunder has faced proper competition at Fair Grounds, and takes another swing just two weeks after its run in the La. Derby. There was no pace for this late runner in that race, which substantiates the unique move. You have to wonder whether there's enough in the tank for this event. Well beaten in the Risen Star, arguably one of the field's classier performances. Not super keen on another closer here, but maybe Geroux places him more aggressively. I'm interested at 10-1 fifth choice.

Classic Car Wash unambiguously second best to today's favorite in the Tampa Bay Derby, closing over a surface that favored the late run. That performance is still enough to justify him in the mix, while also inviting dismissal. He gained late in the Sam F. Davis after trouble in the gate to log a solid performance his fourth time out. The Casse/Castellano combo at Keenland doesn't inspire confidence. Sixth choice 12-1 seems a slot too high, but worth a look as a longer shot.

Hayes Strike dismissible but for his standout win in the Private Terms. That bests half the field's accomplishments, albeit lugging in his ninth start. Didn't do much in the Gun Runner after hitting the board in a couple G2s as a 2yo. He had troubled starts in the Ky. JC and Street Sense, so maybe that muddies his form. Can Graham prevail with a horse that pulled it all together last time at Laurel Park? I need more than 15-1 seventh choice to bet on that.

Scoobie Quando is a more intriguing 15-1 than the rival to his inside. This is the Colebrook runner with his home jock. Pedigree hints more synth and turf, but also long distance, and trainer records suggests favorable surface switch from synth. This one has earned respectable seconds in the last two of its three races, improving with the biggest upside in the field, but trails much of the field on speed figs. The most compelling shot so far, definitely usable at 15-1.

Mendelssohns March arrives here for only its third race—and Lasix removed. Not sure how reliable the pace figs are from a turf and slop race, but they suggest a good trip here. Hernandez has ridden him before. Without divining the pedigree, seems like an even wilder card than , but potentially worth a shot at a big price.

Clear the Air arrives from Turfway via a muddy trip through the Gotham. Hard to see what makes him belong here, but the low key trainer and odd journey are intriguing. Most compelling is a tracking style that should keep this one out of trouble in front of the pack. He caught the eye of both Beer and Aragona. Usable at 30-1.

Major Blue is the lone frontrunner likely to set today's pace. But he hasn't run very fast to beat much, nor has he really progressed. I like a horse clear of this midpack mob, but they're all coming after him, and I can't see Cabrera taking this Lukas trainee wire to wire over this Keenland field.

Really tough to pick this field apart. I want to fade runners in the back of the pack, which probably includes the favorite , the notable wheelback , and the that was nearly dismissable anyway. Don't want the . That leaves and maybe near the front of midpack with late run, just behind the and . The and are worthwhile proper trackers, and I don't want .

I'll focus on if I can get a decent price.
The is a bolder shot I'll emphasize.
Price will probably render to defensive inclusion
The and are longshots of roughly equal merit
I'm against at a short price, but usable if he drifts down the board a few places
The could sneak in at a big price.
We'll see how much fortitude I have against the . Main knock is that he's the favorite.

Last edited by Aerocraft67; 04-08-2023 at 10:48 AM.
Aerocraft67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2023, 12:02 PM   #4
PalaceOfFortLarned

I'm never of fan of rail horses in big races in large fields like this, and this is no different for me.

Tapit Trice is the 'class' of the field, but will likely need to pass a number of horses unless they change up tactics or he'll be eating a lot of dirt. I'll look to beat him.

Verifying looks to have a tactical advantage in a rather paceless field outside of the Lukas horse Major Blue which looks to be nothing more than a rabbit. If Verifying doesn't get caught up with that one, he could sit a very good trip. The other obvious contender.

Blazing Sevens ran a flat out clunker in his 3YO debut in the Fountain of Youth. I'm willing to simply put a line through that one, and give him another chance under the guidance of Chad Brown. Looks to be training solidly since that one and the blinkers is an interesting addition. Afterall, he does own a win over Verifying in last years Champagne.

Sun Thunder has ran against some of the best of his peers and hasn't embarrassed himself. Maybe not a winner, but one to include in exotics. McPeek has two entered, and thinking the may be sent to help the .

Scoobie Quando is the interesting one in here for me. Looks to be more of turf/synth breeding, but he should be a little more forwardly placed than many in here, and has trained well on this KEE strip. Colebrook is a dangerous price horse trainer. Why not this guy?

Last edited by PalaceOfFortLarned; 04-08-2023 at 12:03 PM.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2023, 12:24 PM   #5
boys at tosconova

verifying got caught behind horses 2x in the rebel. once he did clear late he finished evenly. it wasn't apparent how much the boxing effecting him. but I'm sure it did some.

seems like many peeps will land on a different long shot in this race. the 4 has to be used. positive joc switch and good races

Hayes strike has a couple of sneaky good races. he might be a lil slow, but he only lost to instant coffee by 1.4L and finished second to two phil's albeit by 5L. looks like a few of his races can be tossed as well

11 is interesting. both races were pretty impressive

raising cain is going to bounce
Old 04-08-2023, 12:40 PM   #6
zico20

The is going to be a big favorite I think, around 6-5 and he is definitely beatable in here. The is fourth choice on the ML and I don't like any horse who runs that bad coming off of a layoff. Hope he gets bet down being trained by Brown. The is the third choice at 9-2 and he benefited greatly from a fast pace which finished in slow time considering the half was run in 45.2. Plus it was in the mud. Not impressed with him!

My selection is the The race sets up perfectly for him to sit right off the . The was compromised last time by slow fractions, maybe he sits closer and get more pace to run at. My longshot for the super is the We will see if he handles the dirt which he trains over it well. The is the other obvious one for the exotics.

My play is the over the
Old 04-08-2023, 01:33 PM   #7
Vinnie

Tapit Trice is going to have to come and get it from off of the pace today and if he beats me so be it. The Verifying has an excellent E1, but I believe that the Sun Thunder has the Best E2. He should be a bit closer to the lead today. I really think that he is an improving horse. He had some slight traffic issues in the Grade 2 Risen Star and still nearly pulled it off. At 9 furl. these others are going to have to beat him today. Last out he ran at a distance of 9.5 furlongs so he is cutting back to that 9 furl. distance today. I believe that he is going to be tough in there with this group.

Like the w/ underneath for the tri. and supers.

Happy Easter to everyone and their family's and good luck to everyone playing today.

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2023, 05:26 PM   #8
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
I'm never of fan of rail horses in big races in large fields like this, and this is no different for me.

Tapit Trice is the 'class' of the field, but will likely need to pass a number of horses unless they change up tactics or he'll be eating a lot of dirt. I'll look to beat him.

Verifying looks to have a tactical advantage in a rather paceless field outside of the Lukas horse Major Blue which looks to be nothing more than a rabbit. If Verifying doesn't get caught up with that one, he could sit a very good trip. The other obvious contender.

Blazing Sevens ran a flat out clunker in his 3YO debut in the Fountain of Youth. I'm willing to simply put a line through that one, and give him another chance under the guidance of Chad Brown. Looks to be training solidly since that one and the blinkers is an interesting addition. Afterall, he does own a win over Verifying in last years Champagne.

Sun Thunder has ran against some of the best of his peers and hasn't embarrassed himself. Maybe not a winner, but one to include in exotics. McPeek has two entered, and thinking the may be sent to help the .

Scoobie Quando is the interesting one in here for me. Looks to be more of turf/synth breeding, but he should be a little more forwardly placed than many in here, and has trained well on this KEE strip. Colebrook is a dangerous price horse trainer. Why not this guy?
Ha. Should have just fired a straight $10 Super of my top 4 in order.
PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2023, 05:30 PM   #9
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

Tote order trifecta. And just one away from the super. Geesh.
Aerocraft67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2023, 05:31 PM   #10
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalaceOfFortLarned View Post
Ha. Should have just fired a straight $10 Super of my top 4 in order.
Good cappin', nonetheless!
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2023, 05:36 PM   #11
boys at tosconova

TT was lumbering a lot this race. horse had another semi compromised trip as well. showed some early move and then he got shut off and took Rox in the face.

saez wanted nothing of that. imagine have so much horse that you can race wide out of trouble like he did. seems like distance will make him better as well