Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-22-2019, 05:29 PM   #31
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

...and after yesterday's botch job, they start out today THE EXACT SAME WAY with another mistimed 5f turf race. Hopefully whatever hand time they make up is better than the job they did yesterday.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2019, 05:32 PM   #32
The_Turf_Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Obviously as someone that makes speed figures I'm not buying the bolded part. It is a race, time matters, and speed figures (along with pace figures) have always been a big part of how I play the races and I've been doing quite well for a long time after an admittedly rough first decade or so. They help me assess form cycles as horses are improving or declining, trainers that are good at "moving horses up", horses that are overrated or underrated based on archaic class designations, etc.

They help identify horses that had a tough wide trip as opposed to a wide trip that didn't hurt or is even beneficial. They can help identify track biases. I see terrible trips every day, but that doesn't mean the horse that had a bad trip is any good or will win next out. The horse might just be slow. Speed figs help with that. I could go on and on.

One man's trash is another man's treasure. The funny thing is you don't see people that use speed figures trash trip handicapping, or trainer capping, or class handicapping, or whatever. But those that don't use speed figures sure like to tell others how useless they are.
I think it's great that you and others that make speed figures make money on it and find usefulness in it, honestly. Horse racing needs more people that do. From my perspective they're not really useful unless you watch race replays and study trips to determine how that speed figure came about. To each his own
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2019, 05:40 PM   #33
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
One man's trash is another man's treasure. The funny thing is you don't see people that use speed figures trash trip handicapping, or trainer capping, or class handicapping, or whatever. But those that don't use speed figures sure like to tell others how useless they are.
Speed figures are constantly promoted endlessly to the public, that's what sellers do. They can only do so much, as a lot of us are finding them less useful, due to lack of profitability, since they're so mainstream now....

I still use only a select few who are, in my estimation most accurate, but for race shape only.....I am a contrarian though, who is mostly outside the box of conventionality, other's approaches will certainly differ.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-22-2019, 05:58 PM   #34
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Turf_Monster View Post
I think it's great that you and others that make speed figures make money on it and find usefulness in it, honestly. Horse racing needs more people that do. From my perspective they're not really useful unless you watch race replays and study trips to determine how that speed figure came about. To each his own
I agree they need context, no doubt.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:33 AM   #35
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
...and after yesterday's botch job, they start out today THE EXACT SAME WAY with another mistimed 5f turf race. Hopefully whatever hand time they make up is better than the job they did yesterday.
I don't think R7 was timed with Trakus either. The Trakus chart is blank. It took the fractions way longer than usual to come up on the screen during the race. I think they used hand times and manually entered them or something. I'll time them in the morning to verify, but it looks awfully fishy.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:36 AM   #36
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

What did you expect from a boutique meet like Del Mar?....Professionalism?...
Old 08-23-2019, 12:58 AM   #37
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
What did you expect from a boutique meet like Del Mar?....Professionalism?...
Possible they were just being cautious with posting the fractions since they've been so bad and put a lot of really bad times on the screen, especially the past few days, but even if that is the case how embarrassing is that? Even they don't trust the timing system they are paying plenty money to have on track.
Old 08-23-2019, 01:06 AM   #38
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

That's Cali racing for you....Wow, what problems they've had this year, the end looks near...
Old 08-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #39
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I haven't given up on speed figures - I've given up on certain tracks.

Why would I bet a GP, DMr, WO....when those tracks are run by moron who do not respect the betting public and have no sense of integrity of their product? They don't came, why would I?

I would fist fight my way out an OTB rather than bet GP.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #40
dilanesp

There were more timing follies yesterday.

And this is especially bad because 15 years from now, every thoroughbred horse race will be 5 furlongs on the turf, so we need to know how to time them.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2019, 01:11 PM   #41
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Did anyone tell them not to use the downhill course timer settings?
Old 08-25-2019, 04:06 PM   #42
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
There were more timing follies yesterday.

And this is especially bad because 15 years from now, every thoroughbred horse race will be 5 furlongs on the turf, so we need to know how to time them.
That was funny. Good one.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:49 PM   #43
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
That was funny. Good one.
I had another one. A guy walks up to the window at Del Mar and and says "$2 to win on number 1" and hands the teller eight quarters.

The teller says "You need 8 more cents. At Del Mar, a quarter is always 24".
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2019, 06:22 PM   #44
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

They are getting worse. 26 opening 1/4 today for very fast fillies and mares. Impossible to believe anyone there cares about bettors when this keeps happening. If they say do, they're lying.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:56 AM   #45
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The boogie board races, however, are timed precisely!