Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-04-2019, 07:32 PM   #46
Ocala Mike

As bad as Tuesday's loss was, they bounced back and, for all that, went 4-2 against teams ahead of them in the standings last two series. They might creep in yet.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #47
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
Don’t give up yet. The Metropolitans are only 4 ˝ games out with 23 games to go. They’ve got three games with the Phillies this weekend; they could easily sweep that. The Phillies have been so erratic this season that they could lose 10 in a row and it wouldn’t surprise anyone.

Let’s go Phils.
The Phillies in 1964 had a 6 1/2 game lead with 12 games remaining and folded. Of course in the not so distant past, the 2007 Mets had a 7 game lead with 17 games left in the season, then lost 12 of their last 17 games. Poor Willie Randolph, a great guy, but a not so great manager.
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2019, 11:28 PM   #48
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
As bad as Tuesday's loss was, they bounced back and, for all that, went 4-2 against teams ahead of them in the standings last two series. They might creep in yet.
There are 4 teams ahead of them for the second wild card. Only the Phillies in their division. Very tough road.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2019, 12:56 PM   #49
Tor Ekman

Do or die 10 game homestand beginning tomorrow night - 3 vs Phils, 4 vs D-Backs, 3 vs Dodgers. Need to go 8-2, maybe 7-3, to stay alive
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #50
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521 View Post
I remember in 1973, a co-worker kept taunting me about the Mets being losers as they were in last place in July "How 'bout those Mets " he laughed every morning. Yogi and the gang turned things around and took Oakland all the way to the seventh game of the WS. "Ya gotta believe" yelled the great Tug McGraw !
I'm wouldn't call myself a "fan" any longer, but I had given up on them two weeks before the All-Star game this year.
I think the Mets won the NL East that year with 82 or 83 wins. That's when East/West were made up of 6 teams each. They, Cards, Pirates and maybe even Cubs went into the last weekend, not only trying to stay above .500, but to win the division. That was the 2nd of 3 in a row for the A's, and Dick Williams left after the end of the season and Alvin Dark managed the '74 team. Williams had had a lifetime of Charley O. by then. Couldn't take anymore.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #51
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by incoming View Post
The next stop for the Metropolitans will be in injun country. Wheels will come off of that NY train.

But I do have another interesting Pete Rose saga. Rose and the Reds came to Atlanta in the late 1970's. Rose had a 44 game hitting streak going on and was chasing Joe DiMaggio's 56 conscutive game hitting record. Braves, were pitching around Rose all night and on his final at bat he was hitless. Gene Garber was on the mound, a very good shit ball pitcher. He would sometimes throw 3-4 change-ups in a row. Garber wasn't going to give him anything to hit and finally k'ed him on a pitch at least 3 feet outside. Rose slams his helmet into the ground and starts walking toward the mound. Garber is standing on the mound...hands on hips....laughing his hinny off.
There was an at bat in that game that Rose hit a laser back to the mound and the pitcher knocked it down and threw him out. I thought it was the final at bat, but I may be remembering that wrong. I'm sure memories are correct that Garber was on the mound for that final at bat.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2019, 06:31 AM   #52
jk3521
Registered Loser

Mets won last nights game. The boxscore shows ...
Diamondbacks ... 0/7/0
NY Mets .... 9/11/0

Last edited by jk3521; 09-12-2019 at 06:32 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:26 AM   #53
Secondbest

2 games back. Tied with Phillies. Can they pull it off?
Old 09-13-2019, 06:53 AM   #54
jk3521
Registered Loser

It would be something if the Wilpon's beloved Dodgers knock the Mets completely out of it this weekend.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #55
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
2 games back. Tied with Phillies. Can they pull it off?
Staying Alive
Old 09-14-2019, 11:05 PM   #56
ElKabong

Don't know if anyone else here watches HIgh Heat every day, but Russo has turned it into Wild Card talk central. Only he could make that topic as interesting as he does. The guy is great at his craft.

Just a hunch, I'll takes the Braves to win the pennant. AL is going to be fun to watch develop in the playoffs.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #57
Secondbest

5 games back of Cubs in the loss column. 4 back of the Brewers. It's over.
Nice run. unexpected . Wait till next year.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:14 AM   #58
Ocala Mike

Front office made some horrible moves/decisions resulting in a ridiculous number of blown saves throughout the season. With apologies to Glengarry Glen Ross, it's as simple as ABC. "Always Be Closing."
Old 09-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #59
Tor Ekman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Front office made some horrible moves/decisions resulting in a ridiculous number of blown saves throughout the season. With apologies to Glengarry Glen Ross, it's as simple as ABC. "Always Be Closing."
No coffee for anyone in the bullpen not named Lugo
Old 09-17-2019, 05:49 PM   #60
Ocala Mike

Good one, Tor! "Put down that coffee. Coffee's for closers only."

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: