Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 07-27-2019, 07:40 AM   #1
Teach

Saratoga: Saturday, July 27

Race One:

In the opener, 40k MC at 5 and ½ furlongs on the grass, I’ve “landed” on SOUTH WEST BAY. This GB-bred gelding was sold at Tattersalls for over a quarter-of-a-mill. The former Eclipse Award winning apprentice, now trainer, from the “Evergreen State,” Wesley Ward, conditions this 3-year old bay gelding. Ward does very well both with “shippers” and with horses going from routes to sprints. This Slade Power (IRE)-bred is cutting back over two panels off his 2nd place finish at GP one month ago. The pride of Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico, Irad Ortiz, Jr., is in the irons. Vive La Diferencia! Others: , ,

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2019, 07:57 AM   #2
Teach

Race Two:

In the 2nd half of the early double on the main at six panels in a 90k MSW sprint, after much hemming and hawing - there isn’t that much to “chew on” – I’ve selected the Christophe Clement-trained first-time starter, Lexintonia. I will begin my handicapping “brief” by stating, unequivocally, that I’m very partial to Malibu Moon-bred first-timers. You can add to the equation the riding skills of “El Dominicano,” Jo-el Rosario. What seals the deal, at least in my opinion, is this bay filly’s solid array of morning works. This A.P. Indy-bred’s most recent morning outing was a “bullet” at three panels, 36:2, breezing…from the gate. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 07-27-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
Teach

Race Three:

We’re back on the lawn in this 5 and ½ panels claiming sprint. I’ve selected: Frisky Magician. One of the reasons for my pick is the presence of “El Panameno,” Jose Lezcano. I believe Lezcano, “El Rey de La Hierba,” is one of the best “grass jockeys” that competes on the NYRA circuit. The only “fly in the ointment” is that Lezcano must find a way to angle this 7-year old bay gelding to the outside for his stretch run. If that can be accomplished… Jason Servis – he does exceedingly well both with horses that have been “on the bench” and those horses entered 2nd off a claim – is this Street Cry-bred’s conditioner. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 07-27-2019, 08:38 AM   #4
Teach

Race Four:

In the fourth race, we see-saw our way back onto the main for a 5 and ½ panels 90k MSW sprint. Again, after much perusal and scrutiny, I give my tepid, lukewarm nod to Kowalski (You wrasling aficienados may remember “Killer” Kowalski). I hark back to the words of the thoroughbred handicapping maven: “In the land of the first-time starters, the horse with a race under his belt is king.” This 2-year old bay colt does, indeed, have a prior race, 6 panels against similar company about one month ago at CD. In that one, this colt did catch the betting public’s attention; he went off at 3-1 odds (he finished 3rd after a slow a start). If this highly-priced Will Take Charge-bred is to have any chance, he must break alertly from the gate. D. Wayne Lukas trains. A recent morning-work, :48.1 for four panels, breezing, bolsters confidence. Jo-el Rosario is in the irons. Others: , , /

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 07-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
Teach

Race Five:

In this starter allowance turf-route, I’m goin’ out on the limb (I hope I don’t get it sawed off behind me). My pick is the outside horse, Dream Friend. I’m banking on the belief that jockey Luis Saez can this Ghostzapper-bred out of the gate and into contention (preferably on the lead) as the field races down that long first-panel front-straight. If that can be accomplished, it will be up to Senor Saez to say, “Gai Shlof’n” to the rest of the field. There are a lot of “ifs,” but… A lot will be determined in the first “220”. John P. Terranova II trains the Awesome Again-bred 4-year old chestnut gelding. In his favor, this gelding did win at first-asking in his initial turf try. His broodmare, Volcat, had 1 winner from 1 starter and 1 turf winner. A solid, recent morning-work -- on the turf -- bolsters confidence. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 07-27-2019, 09:07 AM   #6
Teach

It’s time to take a break. My morning constitution, a.k.a., walk. I do seven “panels” (the “dogs” are up…I mean out). My PB is 13:47. Hey, I’m 76-years old with an arthritic hip. I’ll be back, later.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 07-27-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
Teach

Race Six:

State-bred, 6-panels allowance, n1x: My choice, a morning-line, medium-longshot, Sweet Meadow Mist. Frankly, I’d like to see a wet track (that doesn’t appear forthcoming, yet there may be some residual moisture). I like where this D’Funnybone-bred chestnut filly is starting from. She should be coming on strongly in the stretch. Does she get up in time? That is the question. One thing appears certain: She should improve over her most recent non-graded stakes effort. Prior to that this 3-year old won two-straight. Jo-el Rosario is in the irons for trainer Charlie Baker. Others: , , .

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 07-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #8
Teach

Race Seven: , , ,

Race Eight: , , ,

Race Nine:
, , ,

Race Ten: , , ,

Race Eleven: , , ,

Race Twelve: , , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)