Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 08-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #1
Teach

Saratoga: Sunday, August 18

Race One: - - -

Race Two: - - -

Race Three: - - -

Race Four: - - -

Race Five:

CHAYSENBRYN gets my tepid nod in this wide-open maiden-claiming sprint that starts the .20-cents “Empire 6” (Mandatory Payout). I suggest that you may need to “buy insurance” in this opening leg; it would be a pity to get “knocked-out” right off the bat. I have some trepidation as I comment because I don’t know the degree of moisture left over on the racetrack from yesterday’s rains. Yet: “If the track is wet; this gal...you must bet!” The wet-track lineage is there, i.e., Maria’s Mon, Broken Vow (Unbridled), etc. “The Outside” could be the place to be on the racetrack. This filly’s trainer, Jeremiah Englehart, does exceptionally well with horses entered in maiden-claiming events. Jose Ortiz, “The Pride of Trujillo Alto,” Puerto Rico, is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Six:

So, you got past the first leg (I hope). Now, it’s time to see if we can hit what has now become a “Pick 5”. “Magic Mirror on the Wall…” Enough Cinderella! I’ll start by saying, “Do I dare ‘single’ this filly?” I’m betwixt and between. On the horns of a dilemma. I’m talkin’ about Mrs. Danvers. This grey Tapit-bred filly lunged (pranced) at the start; she sported the field two or three lengths. Yet, she proceeded to charge down the backstretch and was moving into contention on the outside in the stretch. At this point, this 2-year old started “counting the house”. She also looked like she had trouble “changing leads”. Yet, this Pulpit-bred finished with energy; she just missed getting the “place-dough”. “Anything that resembles… I repeat, “Anything that resembles a clean start, at least off her troubled last race, can put this roan in the winner’s circle.” In a nutshell: An alert, trouble-free start is critical. Jo-el Rosario reprises for “Shug” McGaughey. McGaughey does very well with horses that were beaten favorites in their last race. Others: , ,

Race Seven:

“We’ve made the cut!” It’s ‘moving day’ (golf parlance). I’m assuming this race stays on the turf (although at 7 a.m., I have no way of knowing that). Anyway, I’m handicapping based on the premise that we remain on the grass. Before I go any further, I freely admit I’m taking a shot here. I want to separate myself from the pack. I’m going with the -horse, Have Another, in this 25k turf sprint. Yes, I know…the jockey, “The Bug,” Ben Hernandez, has ridden only one winner; the trainer, Bruce Brown, has only saddled one winner. Yet, under the best of circumstances, this bay gelding can win. Senor Hernandez must time his closing bid, perfectly, if he’s to get “all the enchiladas”. This gelding has faced better throughout his career. A recent “bullet” work bolsters confidence. If you’re looking elsewhere and/or “buying insurance”: , ,

Race Eight:

In this turf allowance route, I’ve landed on Joy of Treasure. This Kitten’s Joy-bred filly narrowly missed winning her last, 3rd-a neck at CD a couple months ago. This 4-year old certainly fits in this company. Jockey Jose Ortiz will need to time her stretch move perfectly as this filly is used to running longer distances. Eddie Kenneally, from County Waterford, Ireland, is this El Prado-bred’s trainer. I should note that Kenneally is having a solid Spa meet. The meet’s leading jockey, Jose Ortiz, has his feet in the stirrups. Others: , ,

Race Nine:

It’s the 100k, 9-furlongs, non-graded Summer Colony Stakes. My pick is Blue Prize. If I may…here’s another case where you may say, “single”. I believe this 6-year old chestnut mare towers over this field. Any moisture would move this mare up even further. This Pure Prize-bred has only been off the board in two of her lifetime 20 races. In her last race, this mare finished 3rd down in Stanton, DE in the Grade II Delaware Handicap. That 10-panels race may have been a “Bridge Too Far”. This mare’s conditioner is the Argentine-born trainer, Ignacio Correas, IV. Jose Ortiz is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Ten:

When “mucho dinero” is on the line, I’m going with the “money jockey,” Jose Ortiz. Thus, my selection in the nightcap, the final leg of the must-be-paid-out “Empire 6,” is O’Malley. Jose Ortiz will need to get this More Than Ready-bred into the flow early if this bay filly’s going to be there in the stretch. This filly’s broodmare, Mizzen Donald, produced 2 winners from 2 starters and 1 turf winner. This filly’s trainer, Mike Maker, does very well with beaten favorites. This filly ships in from Presque Isle Downs in Erie, PA. I might add that this filly’s most recent morning works have been very good. Others: , , .

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is online now   Reply With Quote Reply