Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-29-2019, 12:31 AM   #46
cutchemist42

Horse racing Twitter is really clueless tonight...
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 05:08 AM   #47
Al Gobbi

CHRB takes first step toward banning whip use in California

Quote:
The California Horse Racing Board voted on Thursday to ban jockeys from using whips to urge their mounts, the first stage of a process that will take several months and fundamentally change the way races are ridden.

The rule will limit riders to using whips “when necessary to control the horse for the safety of the horse or rider.” The current rule allowing jockeys to use the whip three times in succession before pausing to give a horse a chance to respond will be eliminated.

The rule change was approved unanimously, by a vote of 5-0, and will be subject to a 45-day public comment period before the board votes on the matter again. It is possible that the language of the rule could be changed in coming months, pending public comments, which could further delay implementation.

Once approved by the board for the final time, the rule is subject to a review by the state’s office of administrative law before going into effect, possibly in the second half of the year.
https://www.drf.com/news/chrb-takes-...=news/all-news
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #48
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi View Post
Please stand by normal service will resume as soon as possible.

Got to love people making decisions.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #49
taxicab

Interesting:

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...-horse-racing/

Last edited by taxicab; 03-29-2019 at 08:20 PM.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 09:56 PM   #50
bobphilo

Great idea. Now the naturally more competitive horses that run on their own courage have the advantage. Nothing wrong with that. Plus it will improve the optics of racing considerably.
bobphilo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #51
citygoat

All they have to do is reduce the purse by 5% for everytime the horse gets whipped
citygoat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2019, 07:44 PM   #52
sharkie187

Wonder if I can get some help on this issue.
Wherever you are, if you can take a selfie with a small post it on social media that reads
“No whips, no bets”.
Its small but it shows where CA tracks are being wagered on.
#nowhipsnobets on twitter.

Basically, its letting the CHRB know that you will not play a CA track if this rule goes into effect. The whip, when used correctly, is used to encourage a horse especially when its in contention or to make it stay focus when alone on the lead.

To be clear, this isn’t limited to Santa Anita, but ALL CA tracks (I think thats how I read it from the CHRB meeting).
I’ve been reviewing the latest runs at SA and there are many instances where I see a jock would’ve been out of the money without the use of his whip to encourage him to keep going.

I really want to attend the next CHRB meeting where they hear public comment on this matter and express my opinion as a horse player the vital need for a whip in a race and could use the hastag to show that there are others who think the same. Thanks!
sharkie187 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2019, 10:30 PM   #53
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkie187 View Post
Wonder if I can get some help on this issue.
Wherever you are, if you can take a selfie with a small post it on social media that reads
“No whips, no bets”.
Its small but it shows where CA tracks are being wagered on.
#nowhipsnobets on twitter.

Basically, its letting the CHRB know that you will not play a CA track if this rule goes into effect. The whip, when used correctly, is used to encourage a horse especially when its in contention or to make it stay focus when alone on the lead.

To be clear, this isn’t limited to Santa Anita, but ALL CA tracks (I think thats how I read it from the CHRB meeting).
I’ve been reviewing the latest runs at SA and there are many instances where I see a jock would’ve been out of the money without the use of his whip to encourage him to keep going.

I really want to attend the next CHRB meeting where they hear public comment on this matter and express my opinion as a horse player the vital need for a whip in a race and could use the hastag to show that there are others who think the same. Thanks!
So to be clear, as long as the horse might run slightly better, you don't care even if the jockey seriously abuses the animal?

That's a nonstarter here in California. We have a strong animal rights movement here. Enjoy playing other tracks.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2019, 11:22 PM   #54
sharkie187

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
So to be clear, as long as the horse might run slightly better, you don't care even if the jockey seriously abuses the animal?

That's a nonstarter here in California. We have a strong animal rights movement here. Enjoy playing other tracks.
This is about protecting the betting public. This is about a jockey’s earning a living. This is about trainers and owners and the tac crew earning a living based on how well their horse runs. Horses need encouragement to run a but more and to give more!
And a reporter from the guardian uk actually asked Champion jockey Jim Crowley to whip as hard as he does in a race...he reported that it didn’t hurt. So if it doesn’t the reporter, it shouldn’t hurt the horse.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.the...hip-didnt-hurt
sharkie187 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2019, 11:51 PM   #55
dilanesp

Quote:
This is about protecting the betting public. This is about a jockey’s earning a living. This is about trainers and owners and the tac crew earning a living based on how well their horse runs. Horses need encouragement to run a but more and to give more!
And a reporter from the guardian uk actually asked Champion jockey Jim Crowley to whip as hard as he does in a race...he reported that it didn’t hurt. So if it doesn’t the reporter, it shouldn’t hurt the horse.

None of that matters to the political situation in California (and I honestly don't believe claims that repeatedly hitting a horse doesn't hurt).
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2019, 05:42 PM   #56
jocko699
Resurrectionist

SA Race 4

Two horses down. Arms Runner and the mare La Sardane. FFffing sucks
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2019, 05:46 PM   #57
Dahossdaboss
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
Looks like Arms Runner took a bad step as they crossed the dirt and La Sardane fell over him.

Terrible.
Dahossdaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2019, 07:19 PM   #58
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
RIP Arms Runner
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #59
ubercapper

Quote:

The science in this video refutes that, and a lot more although it does do a good job of showing both sides of the argument.

ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #60
Scanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
The science in this video refutes that, and a lot more although it does do a good job of showing both sides of the argument.

https://youtu.be/pYv7j9e2z_0
I saw this video some time ago and it is easily the best review/analysis of the use of the whip. Anyone invested in its use or abolition should watch it.

Races prohibiting the use of the whip (to encouraging the horse to run faster) have already been contested in a few countries. And in each race, there was a winner. The best equine and human athlete prevailed.

For me, I support the rider carrying it for control/directional purposes and allowing 1 strike, back or fore handed; once per furlong only within the final 3 furlongs of a race.

Last edited by Scanman; 04-01-2019 at 04:51 PM.
Scanman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply