Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 06-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Sat., June 17

Good Morning from MetroWest, MA (about 20m. w. of “Beantown”). How ‘bout those Medias Rojas! Just a game behind the Yankees in the A.L. East. Before I forget. I want to wish you Dads out there a Happy Father’s Day! Just maybe I can help you toward some Father’s Day “lettuce”. Speaking of dinero, the triple Pick-six carryover -- how often do we get one of those on the NYRA circuit – begins at 195-“Large”. I have no doubt that we will approach, or more likely eclipse, the 7-figures mark. I’ll be back later with my picks for today’s Belmont race-card.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #2
Teach

Race One:
I like “The Outside” in this state-bred MSW filly sprint. There are three fillies that catch my eye. Cool as You Like appears to stand out. She has been “on the shelf” for several months since running third (she nearly got the place-dough) against similar in late-September, 2016 during Belmont’s fall meet. This Holy Bull-bred bay ran into a buzz-saw in the equine presence of Bonita Bianca (she went on a month later to win the “Maid of the Mist”). I “glimed” the replay several times. Cool as You Like was stuck down on the rail behind a wall of horses (no place to go) when, at the top of the stretch, the rail opened up and Joel Rosario was able to accelerate. Well, this filly was full of run, yet too late to catch the speedy, aforementioned Bonita Bianca who was flying on the outside. Any kind of trip. I mean…any kinda trip (the added half-panel should help) and this filly becomes an instant “player”. Trainer Jim Toner’s had a “hot hand”. Jose Lezcano’s in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Two:
Three Perfections get my nod in this turf route, non-winners of two, lifetime. Yes, I’m looking for value. If this Shakespeare-bred gelding stays anywhere near his morning-line 8-1 odds, I’d be overjoyed. Jimmy Jerkens trains this grandson of Theatrical. Jerkens does particularly well with horses making there second start off a layoff. I believe this 4 year-old will be in a very good striking position to launch a winning move. His jockey, Luis Saez, has been on a roll. Saez had three winners on yesterday’s card. Others: , ,

Race Three:
In the Dancin Renee non-graded sprint, I’m picking Clipthecouponannie. Please be assured that this Uncle Mo-bred bay filly will go off as the prohibitive favorite. The only value appears to be in playing exotics. This Uncle Charlie-bred has won five out of six lifetime starts (her only loss came in the Grade III Distaff). This 4 year-old is running in her favorite distance: 6 furlongs. John Velazquez is in the irons for trainer Todd Pletcher. Others: , ,

Race Four:
Here we go, folks. Fasten your seatbelts and put on your handicapping hats. I’ll provide my best shot – as always – as to whom I think are the “contendahs” and who will likely be also-rans as we start what I assume will be a lucrative Pick-6. As I look over the field, this just may be the race that “you buy insurance.” That is – if you have the bankroll – throw in a couple extra horses, just in case. In two words: wide open. I’m leaning toward Now In Drive. Why? I’m impressed with his most recent four-panels in :47-flat “bullet” work. That, in my opinion, speaks volumes. I also like Joel Rosario in the irons. “El Dominicano” is a solid jockey. Then, there are the training skills of Brian Lynch. Third off a layoff is one of my favorite “angles”. Further, I have to assume that Rosario will put this colt into the game, early. If this 3 year-old gets the kind of trip he’s capable of receiving, he should be right there at the wire. Others: , ,

Race Five:
In this 7-panels allowance on the turf for New York state-breds, I’m casting my lot with “a bomb”. An “out in left-field” longshot. In fact, presumably, one of the longest shots on the board, Vortex Road. Here’s my reasoning (follow suit at your own peril): This filly switches back to the lawn (her last race was scheduled for the turf but was run on the main). I like the turf-to-dirt angle. The filly picks up the services of the “hot as a petardo,” Luis Saez. Saez should have this filly in contention, early. He might even put her on the lead. Saez is excellent at rating front-running horses. Yes, this is a reach, but it is not unreachable. “No guts, no glory!” Tom Albertrani trains this daughter of Quality Road. Others: , ,

Race Six:
Deltalina is my pick in this claiming, n2L, turf sprint. Johnny V. is in the irons for the most capable trainer, Wesley Ward. Ward is having an outstanding Belmont meet. Ward does particularly well with horses who are making their first start for a tag. This First Samurai-bred chestnut filly should be out and going when the gates open. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her “on the engine”. It’ll then be up to “The Hall-of-Famer” to ration out her speed. Other horses I’m considering are: , ,

Race Seven:
Well, we’re half way there. I hope you’re still “alive”. The plot thickens and the tension builds. Yellow Chips is my choice in this in this 6 and ½ panels claiming sprint. This Harlan’s Holiday-bred colt has faced better. Jose Ortiz is in the irons for the most capable Linda Rice. Rice does exceptionally well both with “shippers” and horses making their first start with a trainer. AS far as the race itself is concerned, I look for Ortiz to mount a closing stretch drive. If he times his move just right, he can get all the enchaladas. Others: , ,

Race Eight:
Pop By gets my nod in this OC turf route. This City Zip-bred filly – at least until recently – has been racing “Across The Pond”. In her only race in Les Etats-Unis she finished third in a race that was taken off the turf. Personally, I feel this Carson City-bred fits quite nicely in this field. Her trainer, Graham Motion, is having an excellent Belmont meet, as is her jockey, Manny Franco. Others: , ,

Race Nine:
In the finale, a maiden-claiming turf route for state-breds, I’m betting on: , Weekend Hottie. This David Donk trainee is admittedly winless in 20 maiden-breaking tries (yes, not very reassuring); yet this Charismatic-bred chestnut mare fits quite nicely in this company. Although, as cited, she has yet to get her maiden-breaking win, she has graced the tote in half her turf tries. David Donk usually does well with turf horses. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 06-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #3
Teach

My handicapping may need to be tweaked as I handicapped based on fast-track conditions.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 06-17-2017, 01:39 PM   #4
Teach

Cozzy Spring moves up on a wet track.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 06-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
Teach

I believe Wonderment will move up some in this 3rd race.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: