Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 08-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #1
Teach

Saratoga: Sunday, August 13

Race One:
FRIEND OF LIBERTY will move up with any residual moisture. Larry Rivelli – he saddled a winner on yesterday's card – trains this Dominus-bred 3 year-old grey filly. This filly’s broodmare, Chief’s Honey, was a prolific producer. Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. A solid recent 4-panels work signals readiness. One caveat: Do not expect much in return on straight bets. Others: , , .

Race Two:
If this MSW remains on the turf (In yesterday’s Fourstardave, horses’ hooves were throwing up huge clumps of dirt. Was the turf course left pockmarked?), MISS MO MENTUM. This 2 year-old filly has a solid turf pedigree (her dam, Somalia, produced a turf winner). In her last race on the lawn, this Uncle Mo-bred finished 2nd against similar company at today’s one mile and a ‘teenth distance. Joel Rosario reprises the ride for trainer Mark Casse. Others: , ,

Race Three:
MADDIZASKAR is my pick in this 7-panels, 50k claiming race. Yes, I’m banking on some moisture on the Saratoga oval. That would enhance this 5 year-old bay-mare’s chances. Frankly, seven furlongs is a tricky distance. For some sprinters, this is “a bridge too far”. Unlike some others, this Bellamy Road-bred should have no trouble perambulating seven panels. I also like the turf-to-dirt angle. The mare’s trainer, the red-hot David Jacobson, does well in that racing category. “Jersey Joe” Bravo is in the irons. Others: , , .

Race Four:
We’re back on the turf (as I type this, I don’t know that for sure). One-mile and one-sixteenth, 35k claimer, n3L. TUSK gets my nod. This 4 year-old Tapit (Pulpit)-bred finished a closing fourth at Monmouth in his last; he was only a length and one-half off the winner. His dam, It’s Midnight, produced a turf winner. This gelding should be closing in deep stretch. Will he get up in time? That is the question. This gelding’s chances are enhanced by the services of both Jose Ortiz and Graham Motion. Others: , , .

Race Five:
MY BOY TATE is my choice in this MSW six panels sprint for New York state-breds. This gelding was a game 3rd at a mile at Aqueduct back in April. This Officer-bred 3 year-old has been on the shelf since then (a bit disconcerting). Yet, a sharp, recent “bullet” work enhances confidence. So too are the services of trainer Michelle Nevin (she does well with horses entered in sprints) and one of NYRA’s best jockeys, Manny Franco. Others: , ,

Race Six:
In this optional claiming turf sprint, my pick is a longshot, LAURA’S PATRIOT. Yes, this 5 year-old has only won once in 29 tries (she's hit the board several times). Yet, I believe she has a shot here. I believe her outside post enhances her chances. The veteran reinsman, Mike Luzzi, is in the irons for trainer John Toscano, Jr. Others: , , .

Race Seven:
In this OC turf route, n2x, my pick is the rail horse, GALILEO’S SONG. This is a regally-bred turf horse whose only drawback is that she hasn’t raced in more than 11 months. Yet, that having been said, her trainer, Chad Brown, does very well with horses that have been away from the races. I might mention that “Mechanicsville Chad” is having an outstanding Spa meet. You can add to the equation one of the best jockeys at Saratoga, Javier Castellano. Others: , , .

Race Eight:
In the Grade II Saratoga Special, my choice is COPPER BULLET. This 2 year-old was 2nd in a Grade III event at Churchill Downs in late June. I believe this More Than Ready-bred is more “battle-tested” when compared to many of the others in this field; many of them have only maiden-breaking wins. Steve Asmussen trains; Irad Ortiz, Jr, is in the irons. Others: , ,

Race Nine:
In this OC, 5 and ½ furlongs on the turf, my pick is: NOBLE FREUD. Although this Freud-bred filly has never raced on the turf, her pedigree, especially on top, appears to signal that she can handle the lawn. This filly has faced both open stakes company (Grade III Victory Ride) and non-graded New York state-bred company. This filly has never been off the board after breaking her maiden at first asking. Chad Brown trains; Irad Ortiz, Jr. is in the irons. Others: , , .

Race Ten:
In the finale, a maiden-claiming turf route, I’m picking a decided longshot, ADMIRALS COVE. This Sunday Silence-bred 3 year-old colt is making the precipitous drop from MSW events to this 40k claimer. It’s quite possible that this steep drop will serve as a wake-up call for a colt that was soundly beaten in both his pari-mutuel starts. Yet, I contend ,there are plausible excuses. In his first start, this colt hit the gate; in his second, he got caught up in an L.I.E.-like traffic-jam that forced him wide in the stretch. I like the rider switch to Manny Franco. Trainer David Donk – he does well with turf races – has a good record with horses going from maiden to maiden-claiming races. Finally, first-time blinkers may help. Others: , , .

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
Teach

Race One: is making a nice impression on the race-track. I don't care for #s and . Good luck!

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-13-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
Teach

KC and The Sunshine Band.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-13-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
Teach

Race Two: I still like even though race is off the turf. My other "prospects" are: , , and possibly . Good Luck!

"David and Lisa" (1962)