Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 07-24-2017, 12:53 PM   #1
Teach

Saratoga: Monday, July 24

Race One:
10 WON’T BURN - Note: I’m looking for value - was highly competitive in his last against better at Belmont about one month ago. He finished third in that one, a race won by an odds-on favorite, Basic Hero. As I watched the replay, I should note that Won’t Burn was “herded” to the outside (six path) by the second-place finisher, Shoot the Gap. I believe Won’t Burn, a 4 year-old Bernardini-bred gelding, fits nicely in this field. I also like both the horse’s outside starting post and the fact that “The Spa” is experiencing heavy rains (labeled as MUDDY). I should note that this gelding has solid wet-track pedigree on both “the top” and “the bottom”. Jeremiah Englehart is a solid trainer who does exceptionally well with maiden-claimers. One of NYRA’s best, Manny Franco, is in the irons. One caveat: I doubt you’ll get the posted ML odds of 15-1. Others: 6 Your Secret’s Safe is “the other horse”. I believe you can’t ignore this Tapit-bred who now drops in for a tag. This chestnut gelding should love (relish) the sloppy going. Yet, unless you’re betting mucho dinero, you can’t expect much in return at the windows, at least on straight bets. Javier Castellano for Chad Brown, now that’s a solid jockey-trainer combination. 2 One More Round. Mike Luzzi will be taking this Forestry-bred as fer as he can go. 7 Shoot the Gap. This aforementioned 3 year-old bay gelding does have a solid wet-track lineage, especially on “the bottom”. The switch to Luis Saez is a plus for trainer Tom Albertrani.

Race Two:
8 SLIM SHADEY looks like the horse to beat. This 9 year-old British-bred gelding has done exceptionally well in wet-track races. Jason Servis is an excellent trainer who does very well with horses making their second start with the trainer. Manny Franco is in the irons. Another horses I’m keeping an eye on is: 3 TIZNOBLE. He may well have his own way on the front end. I believe he moves up on the wet track and should be a contender here. Florent Giroux is in the irons for trainer Mike Stidham. Stidham does well with second starts off a layoff. Others: 5 Lewis Vale and 7 Husband’s Folly.

Race Three:
In this 7-panels allowance, n1x, 2 ELOQUENT RIDDLE gets my nod (Frankly, I can make a case for most of the distaff equines in this 6-horse field). I do declare (as my cousin in Virginia would put it) that I’m particularly partial to the Javier Castellano- (Javier’s gotten off to a slow start) “Mechanicsville Chad” Brown combination. I believe this bay filly moves up on a wet track. I particularly like her “bottom” pedigree, Comic Marvel (Distorted Humor). After breaking her maiden last fall at first asking at Belmont last September, this filly has been most competitive in stakes company. I believe she comes into a race, given the moisture-laden condition of the Saratoga Race Course oval, that she is capable of winning. Others: 5 Dawn the Destroyer was a game third in her last (“a troubled third…” Larry Collmus). In that one, Kirby’s Penny angled out from the rail as the fast-closing Your Love was moving alongside. The result: Dawn the Destroyer was caught in a pincer movement (DRF: “impeded”). A better trip puts this filly into contention. Also: 4 Dancing All Night and 6 Laney.

Race Four:
9 MIDNIGHT BOUNTY is my longshot selection in this open-ended, lower-level claimer. Yes, this Midnight Lute-bred bay mare was vanned off in her last; yet, I believe in this company, at her best, she has the chance to spring the upset and start off what I believe could be a 7-figures Pick-6 pool. This 5 year-old has been most competitive at this level. She definitely moves up on a wet track. Chris Decarlo is in the irons for trainer Abby Adsit. Others: 5 Jemmabelle; 6 Lil Renegade; 1 Slam Chowder.

Race Five:
4 GIFTED LADY is my pick in this MSW 6-panels filly sprint. Frankly, I like this highly-priced filly’s wet-track pedigree. Yet, what particularly catches my attention is this filly’s recent “bullet” works, that speaks volumes. Yet, I am concerned that this Distorted Humor-bred has been away from the races for over four months. In this filly’s only two starts at GP, she finished fourth on each occasion. Yet, she now catches a racing surface that should move her up. It’s Javier Castellano in the irons for trainer Mark Hennig. Others: 2 Covenant. 1 Tapella.

Race Six:
9 SCHIANTI benefits mightily by drawing in as an MTO in a scheduled turf race. This chestnut filly easily broke her maiden at Monmouth at first asking. She now etches out a panel off that winning effort; that should not create any problems. This 2 year-old has the pedigree to perambulate over the wet “Spa” oval. The veteran reinsman, Joe Bravo, is in the irons for the most competent conditioner, Wesley Ward. 8 On the Hop (sounds like craps terminology) “You can rock it, you can roll it, you can even start to stroll it…” Danny and The Juniors. Well, the breeding says turf; yet this 2 year-old bay filly may surprise on a wet main track – at a price (now wouldn’t that be something). “I’ve got the golden ticket!” Jose Lezcano is in the irons for this Indiana shipper. Others: 6 Princess Peggy; 5 Goodbye Brockley.

Race Seven:
In this 9-panels OC n2x, my pick is: 1 SPANISH HARLEM. Here’s another horse who should relish the muddy Saratoga racing surface. In early May, this chestnut filly romped over a 3-horse allowance-company field. That win came on a – you guessed it – a sloppy track. Anything approximating that effort and it will be Katy-Bar-The-Door. The filly’s pilot, Irad Ortiz, Jr., is off to an outstanding “Spa” start. This filly’s trainer, Danny Gargan, is an excellent conditioner. Gargan does particularly well both with horses entered in route races and those entered in dirt starts. Again, another horse who I believe moves up on a wet racing surface. Others to consider are: 7 Fuhriously Kissed; 2 Blue Prize; 4 Josephine’s Moment.

Race Eight:
12 FAIR POINT gets my nod in the Caress B for a purse of 200k. I like this horse’s outside starting post. My only concern: Does this 5 year-old bay mare need more real estate. Jose Ortiz will need to get this mare into the action, early. She’s coming on in the stretch, ranging into contention on the outside…and at the wire… the aforementioned Jose Ortiz is in the irons for trainer “Shug” McGaughey. Others: 2 Mississippi Delta; 9 Miss Ella; 8 Animal Appeal.

Race Nine:
In the finale, my pick is 10 THIS CAT CAN FLY. I believe this Birdstone (Grindstone)-bred colt moves up on a wet surface. Manny Franco is one of NYRA’s finest. Trainer Michelle Nevin is most capable; she does well with horses making their second career start. Others: 7 My Mr. Wonderful; 9 Fair Archer; 5 Joe’s Smokin Gun.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply