Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 08-20-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
Teach

Sunday, August 20, 2017

Race One:

“Yes I ask you quite confidentially (no, not… “ain’t she sweet.”) What’s a colt who went gate-to-wire in winning at first-asking? Who’s competed in non-graded stakes company? Who ran at the Spa in allowance company…doing in a race like this? The DRF didn’t say it…but I will: Suspicious. Yes, I can only assume that this 3 year-old grey colt, SILVER ASSAULT, needed his last race after a lengthy layoff. If this Distorted Humor-bred is any semblance of his early self; well, he can romp over this 16k claiming field. The question remains…IF. There’s a lot to like: solid pedigree (he’d like some moisture, but I don’t think he’s going to get it). Post position. He broke his maiden from this same outside post. Déjà vu all over again? Manny Franco is in the irons. And, the Hall of Famer, Bill Mott, who conditions this colt, does exceptionally well with horses entered, for the first time, in claiming races. Oh, as cited, it’s this colt’s second start off a layoff; another category that Mott does well with. Others: 6, 9, 1

Race Two:

In this allowance turf route on the lawn, n1x, I like AIR VICE MARSHALL. As I mentally transport myself some 200 miles from Boston to Saratoga Springs, I can hear track announcer, Larry Collmus, now: “…and moving quickly into contention on the outside, it’s Air Vice Mashall.” Yes, this Jimmy Jerkens trainee, should, according to his running style, be coming “off the tailgate”. And, if all goes according plan, this War Front-bred colt should be right there at the wire. The Jamaican, Rajiv Maragh, is in the irons. I should mentioned that the aforementioned Jerkens does very well both with horses going sprint to route and those running in allowance races. Others: 8, 3, 9.

Race Three:

Another race. Another turf route. This time an MSW. My choice: COMPLICIT. I must admit that the dynamic duo of jockey Irad Ortiz, Jr. and trainer “Mechanicsville Chad” Brown always catches my attention. Yes, this Blame-bred bay filly has been on the shelf for several weeks. Yet, this is a category that Brown does exceptionally well with. In her two lifetime turf-route starts, this 3 year-old has hit the tote on both occasions. This filly should be coming from the back of the pack in a race that appears to set up for a closer. This distaffer’s morning work-tab has been good and steady. Oh, the broodmare, Lady Solvig, produced three turf winners from five starters. Others: 5, 1, 3.

Race Four:

In this claiming sprint, 6 and ½ panels on the main, n3L, MAN OF WIREGRASS gets my tepid nod in what I see as a wide-open race. This Stephen Got Even-bred has, for the most part, been racing on the turf in recent starts; yet with little to show for those efforts. This 4 year-old bay gelding’s connections have decided to switch him back to the main and enter him in a sprint. That could be the prescription for a trip to the winner’s circle. The gelding conditioner is the accomplished trainer, Mike Maker. Maker does well in most racing categories, especially with horses making their third start off a layoff and those going sprint-route-sprint. In the irons is one of NYRA’s best, Jose Ortiz. Others: 5, 3, 1.

Race Five:

Yes, it’s the start of the Pick-Six with a nearly $80,000 carryover. That figure should grow exponentially leading up to the start of today’s 5th race. Whaddaya say: Let’s kick off this Pick-6 with a winner. It’s a maiden-special turf route. I’m going to name a horse here that may elicit snickers and guffaws. I’m picking SUREIS. Yes, admittedly, a gambler’s throw. I’m willing to give this 2 year-old filly a “mulligan” off her only pari-mutuel start. I believe she has as good a chance as most. In her only race on the opening weekend, this Colonel John-bred was bumped coming out of the gate (she actually threw jockey Manny Franco before she was loaded, rider-less). She appeared fractious and distracted. In this large-field race, Manny Franco just couldn’t find a seam. He moved her out a bit and then inside as the field moved down the stretch. Yet, now, with that race under her belt… Well, Rajiv Maragh is in the irons for trainer John Kimmel. Nota bene: Kimmel does exceptionally well both with second grass and second route races, albeit with a limited sampling in each case. Others: 1, 2, 4.

Race Six:
In this 6-panels, MSW, I’m going with: PURRFECT MISS. You know what they say: In the land of the first-time starters, a filly with a race under her belt is queen (or is she a princess). Well, anyway, this aptly named Discreet Cat-bred 2 year-old has just that…”a race under her belt”. She finished second after leading in mid-stretch. Any slight improvement… I repeat: Any slight improvement and this filly is capable of breaking her maiden and getting her picture taken. I should opine that a couple solid morning works since her only start bolsters my confidence level. Jeremiah Englehart is the filly’s conditioner; he does well with horses entered in MSW events. The most capable Manny Franco is in the irons. Others: 5, 6, 7

Race Seven:

In this race, 5 and ½ panels on the lawn, n1x, for New York state-breds, my pick is the namesake of one of the best players to ever don a baseball uniform. Some called him “Buster,” others called him “Columbia Lou,” but he’s best known as “The Iron Horse”. I’m talking about GEHRIG, a 4 year-old Ghostzapper-bred bay gelding. This Bruce Levine-trained gelding (Levine does well with beaten favorites) finished 3rd in a similar race about one month ago. This gelding was unhurried in that one. His pilot then, as he is now, Jose Ortiz, will, in my opinion, need to get this gelding into the game, sooner. If all goes according to Hoyle, he should be closing fastest of all at the wire. Others: 10, 1, 7.

Race Eight:
In this one mile claiming event on the lawn, n3L, my pick is: LILLIE’S ANSWER. This Kitten’s Joy-bred 5 year-old bay mare was second, less than a length, in a 7 and ½ panels turf race at Prx (PA state-breds) in early July. She has been the beaten favorite in her last two. Admittely, not too reassuring. Yet, that being said, she has as a good a chance as any to prevail here. The mare’s trainer is the most capable Mike Maker; he does very well with horses who were beaten favorites. The switch here to one of the best jockeys campaigning at NYRA, Jose Ortiz, is significant. Others: 2, 3, 9.

Race Nine:
It’s time for today’s feature race, the 100k Summer Colony. It’s is contested over the distance of one one mile and 1/8th. I’m looking for a mild upset here with ROMANTIC VISION. Yes, this “Rusty” Arnold trainee has been on the shelf for over two months; yet, I believe he was pointed toward this race. I believe he freshened up and is ready to turn in a solid, winning effort. The company that this Lemon Drop Kid-bred mare has been keeping has been top-drawer, two graded stakes events at CD. She would benefit from moisture on the racetrack; yet I don’t see that as forthcoming. This mare’s pilot is the most capable reinsman, Javier Castellano. Others: 1, 2, 5.

Race Ten:
In the finale, a turf sprint, n2L, my choice is the AE CONSUMERCONFIDENCE. Yet, I believe that her chances of drawing in are limited. Thus, I’m going to go with my second choice who should be in this race, unless scratched. I’m talking about STORMIN MACLEAN. This Linda Rice trainee is cutting back over a panel off his last start. That means that gelding’s jock, Jose Ortiz, will need to get this gelding into the game, early. I should mention that Linda Rice does an exceptional job both with horses making their third start off a layoff and with first after a claim. A recent “bullet” work bolsters confidence. Others: 3, 2, 7.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-20-2017, 12:54 PM   #2
Teach

Race One: For what it's worth, SILVER ASSAULT looks very professional on the race-track.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-20-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
Teach

Race One: I'm thinkin' about tossing in the in my exotics.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-20-2017, 03:48 PM   #4
Teach

Race Six: By the looks of the horses in the walking ring and on the track, I still like my top pick .

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: