Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 07-04-2023, 08:13 AM   #1
Teach

Belmont: Tuesday, July 4

Happy Fourth of July!

NB: Today’s weather forecast for Elmont, NY calls for showers and thunderstorms beginning about noon. What impact that will have on today’s races is too early to tell. I would advise checking the NYRA (Belmont Park) website for any updates.

Race One:

As one of my less sophisticated friends would oft say when a turf race came up, “We’re on ‘the weeds.’" Today’s opener is a state-bred, 125k, non-graded turf-route that’s called "Port Washington.” As an aside, I know the area very well as I taught at nearby Manhasset High School; so long ago that the Cleveland Brown’s NFL Hall-of-Famer, Jim Brown, had only graduated about a decade earlier. Enough for the past, let’s get down to the business of handicapping. Here’s where the weather and its timing will likely play an important role.
In this lid-lifter at “Beautiful Belmont Park” I’ve landed on SANURA. NYRA oddsmaker, David Aragona, has installed this Kitten’s Joy-bred (I’m partial to Kitten’s Joy-bred horses) as the 7/5 second choice. I believe that: “If the grass is wet, she’s worth a bet.” Moreover, I believe this 5-year-old chestnut mare will be on the lead in a race that appears devoid of speed, except for the aforementioned. This El Prado-bred may well be playing: “Catch-me-if-you-can.” In the irons is "El Venezolano," the Hall-of-Famer from Maricaibo (Wasn't Luis Aparicio from that same city): Javier Castellano. He’ll need to ration out this distaff turfster's speed and endurance. Further, this mare’s dam, Nehantic Cat, won the Yaddo (Named for the gardens near the track, worth a visit: free admission) up at "The Spa." Barclay Tagg trained Nehantic Cat, as well as today's entrant, Sanura. I like the fact that this Tomorrows Cat-bred has had two recent morning-works on the turf. Others: , , .

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2023, 08:55 AM   #2
Teach

Race Two:

As my father would oft say, "Onward and upward." At this juncture, I know I'll be glued to my monitor to "glim" both the weather and track conditions. "Will any of the races to be taken off the turf?" In any event, in this state-bred 75k, MSW route, I've selected GOSSIPING PANDO. In this 3-year-old's only start, a turf-race about two weeks ago, one in which this Twirling Candy-bred finished up the track (He ran into more traffic than the L.I.E. at rush-hour). For you Bostonians, the L.I.E. stands for Long Island Expressway. In fact, in his only start, this guy was literally "shuffled off to Buffalo." Alas and alack, this Storm Cat-bred catches a "short field." Room to maneuver. One of NYRA's finest, if not one of the nation's best jockeys, Jose Ortiz, he from Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico, is in the irons. Under the heading of: If Jena Antonucci can train the Belmont Stakes winner, why not Racine, WI's-own, Linda Rice, win the Belmont training title. Frankly, it seems that every time I look up, Linda's in the winner's circle. I would conclude by saying, "A little moisture, it wouldn't hurt." Others: , , .

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 07-04-2023, 09:09 AM   #3
Teach

Race Three: This race is scheduled for the turf, weather permitting. I've handicapped with the belief (hope) that this race will remain on the grass. Yet, if it is taken off the turf, as they say: "All bets are off!"

/ - - -

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 07-04-2023, 09:13 AM   #4
Teach

Race Four: - - -

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 07-04-2023, 09:18 AM   #5
Teach

Race Five: - - -

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 07-04-2023, 09:25 AM   #6
Teach

Race Six: Again, will this race remain on the turf? If not, you've got to be thinking about the two MTO's.

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 07-04-2023, 09:29 AM   #7
Teach

Race Seven: - - -

Race Eight: - - -

Race Nine: - - -

Race Ten: - - -

"David and Lisa" (1962)