Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 08-01-2019, 05:33 AM   #1
Teach

Saratoga: Thursday, August 1

Race One:

IRISHTOWN (AE) is my pick in this difficult-to-handicap, not-much-to-go-on 5 and ½ furlongs turf opener. If this Algorithms-bred chestnut gelding draws in, I believe he can be “a player”. This gelding’s jockey, Jose Lezcano, is one of the best on the grass, “El Rey de La Hierba”. This is this gelding’s first foray on the fescue, but I believe there is sufficient turf pedigree for this Bernardini-bred to handle the turf. This gelding’s broodmare, Rathvilly (unraced), produced 3 winners and 1 turf winner out of 4 starters. I watched the replay of this 2-year old’s last race at Laurel on July 11. In that one, this Grand Slam-bred was “pinballed” (bumped from both sides coming out of the gate). Going down the back-straight, jockey Jorge Ruiz had a “strangle-hold” on this gelding in tight quarters. This gelding appeared to pick up his best stride has the field moved into the far turn; he finished a creditable 3rd in what must be labelled: “a troubled trip”. This gelding was previously trained by Steve Casey, but is now conditioned by Lacey Gaudet. Others: , AE, .

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2019, 06:02 AM   #2
Teach

Race Two:

In this 6-panels allowance sprint, I have, by default, opted for the mare who will, in all likelihood, be the prohibitive, odds-on favorite (don’t expect much at the windows or betting through your ADW), LADY’S ISLAND. In a quote that is often attributed to William Shakespeare: “Consistency, Thou Art a Jewel”. This 5-year old fits that quote to a “t”. Every time this Mr. Prospector-bred was supposed to run on the lawn (was she an MTO?) down in Florida, the race was taken off the turf and run on the main; this gal dominated. If there’s any residual moisture on the Saratoga oval, this Broad Brush-bred moves up, considerably. Yet, she is stretching out an additional panel. Jose Lezcano must ration out her speed. Danny Gargan trains. This mare’s most recent morning work was impressive; she blitzed 3 panels in :35.2, breezing. Yet, I for one am hedging. I’m “buying insurance”. Others: , /,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-01-2019, 06:25 AM   #3
Teach

Race Three:

I’m willing to give BAYERN'S MIRAGE a “mulligan” off his last up-the-track finish on the turf. I believe that today’s try on the main for this Offlee Wild-bred (a little moisture wouldn’t hurt) makes this colt worthy of consideration. Thus, I offer him as my tepid, lukewarm selection. Trainer Gary Gullo is adding blinkers to avoid any unnecessary distractions. Yet, in all candor, Gullo is 0-for-25 with 1st time blinkers. He’s only 6% with horses entered in their 2nd career race (Am I trying to talk myself out of this?). I will say this: “I am ‘buying insurance’.” The Carolina, Puerto Rico native, Manny Franco, is in the irons. Finally, one thing appears certain, this colt will not be the prohibitive longshot that he was in his most recent race. Others: , /,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-01-2019, 06:45 AM   #4
Teach

Race Four:

IDEATIONAL is my pick in this turf route on The Inner. Yes, this Noble Mission state-bred has been “on the bench” for the longest time. That raises some concerns. And…this filly’s morning work-tab is nuthin to write home about. Yet. The conditioner is “The Pride of Mechanicsville, NY,” Chad Brown. Brown is an excellent trainer who does especially well when conditioning turf horses. In the irons is the Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico native, Irad Ortiz, Jr. Ortiz, Jr. has been: “caliente como un petardo!” 5 winners on yesterday’s card. Caramba! The question remains: “Is this filly ready?" If so… Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-01-2019, 07:03 AM   #5
Teach

Race Five:

I’m going out on the limb in this turf sprint with a filly that I believe will be a race-time longshot. I’m talkin’ about the “outside” horse, AVOCADO TOAST. This bay filly missed by a skinny nostril in her last race downstate at Belmont about 2 months ago. She’s shortening up a half-panel off that effort. I should mention that this filly went off “the chalk” in that one. Chris Landeros -- The “Mig” said it would be a slow go for him – is a most capable jockey. He just needs “live” horses. This filly may well “fit the bill”. This filly’s trainer, Tom Albertrani, does well with horses that were beaten favorites in their last. This filly’s dam, Andrea Gail, produced 6 winners, 1 stakes winners, and 3 turf winners from 9 starters. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-01-2019, 07:17 AM   #6
Teach

Race Six:

Nine-panels, 16k claimer, on the main, n2L. I’ve landed on CURLIN’S KNIGHT. Yes, admittedly, I’m looking for value. I do profess that one of my handicapping cues is the turf-to-dirt angle. This Curlin-bred bay gelding is doing just that. No, this Smart Strike-bred has never raced today’s distance, but I believe he’s capable of running one mile and one-eighth. This 4-year old’s trainer, Jeremiah Englehart, does exceptionally well with horses that are entered in claiming races. He also does well with “shippers” (this gelding vans in from Laurel). Jose Ortiz is in the irons. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #7
Teach

Race Seven:

One mile on the Inner Turf for state-bred fillies. LOVELY LA LA gets my tepid call in what I consider a wide-open grass race. I’m banking on Senor Jose Ortiz’s skills in putting the rest of the field, dormirse. I can envision this Uncle Mo-bred filly “on the engine”. If so, it will then be up to Jose Ortiz to ration out this 4-year old’s speed. Chad Brown is this filly’s conditioner. Brown does very well with horses going from sprint-to-route. I might mention that Brown also does very well with horses that were beaten favorites in their last race (this filly went off at .50-cents on the dollar in her last, she finished 2nd). Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-01-2019, 07:50 AM   #8
Teach

Race Eight:

MY SISTER NAT is making her 2nd start in Les Etats-Unis after shipping in from France where this bay filly had done all of her previous running. Today's nearly 10-panels distance would appear to suit this French-bred turfster to a "t". In her last race, she did go off as the even-money "chalk" downstate at Belmont, but she ended up finishing a closing 3rd. Today’s added distance stretch should do wonders for this filly’s attempt to grace the Saratoga Racecourse winner’s circle. Chad Brown (Nuff Ced) is this Acclamation-bred filly’s conditioner. The veteran Venezuelan-born reinsman, Javier Castellano, is in the irons. Others; /, ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-01-2019, 08:03 AM   #9
Teach

Race Nine:

It’s the one and three/fourth mile non-graded 100k Birdstone. Two horses appear to stick out: 1 Marconi, the grey, and 8 Rocketry, the bay. I’m leaning toward ROCKETRY. This Hard Spun-bred 5-year old horse did win, last fall, the Grade II Marathon at Churchill Downs at today’s distance. This horse is “a plodder” who gets better as the distance gets longer. Jimmy Jerkens trains. Joel Rosario is in the irons. Others: , ,

"David and Lisa" (1962)

Old 08-01-2019, 08:21 AM   #10
Teach

Race Ten:

In the finale, in an MSW turf route over The Inner, I’m going with a medium-longshot, KLICKITAT. This Giant’s Causeway-bred chestnut ridgling was last seen on the race-track in a state-bred MSW route downstate at Aqueduct. In that one: Nada, Gornit, Epes, Cero, Nihil (indeclinable). A vacaciones. A trainer change from Brad Cox to Jimmy Jerkens. Jerkens does very well with horses making their first start under his tutelage, albeit with a limited sampling. There was a 4-panels “bullet” work a little over a week ago. I ask: “Is this horse “a sleeper”? “A diamond in the rough”? The blinkers do come off. Junior Alvarado has the call. Finally, the breeding is there. The broodmare, Show Me The Carats, produced 3 winners, 1 stakes winner, and 1 turf winner from 4 starters. Others: , ,

Good Luck!

"David and Lisa" (1962)