Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #46
dansan

belmont

Not sure what race you were watching but didn't see what you described
dansan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2018, 10:12 PM   #47
lefty359

WHY?

For those of you that think The game is so damn crooked I wonder why you bet your money on such a crooked game?
lefty359 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2018, 11:18 PM   #48
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

[quote=Big Russ;2328626]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhanover View Post
Secretariat was not juiced. I recall in his autopsy they said that the physical size of his heart was enormous. He was just a special horse. The '73 Belmont was a special race.

I never really thought about this before, but an enlarged heart can be a sign of steroid abuse.
I always wondered why no one bothered taking pictures of it from the necropsy. For such an anomaly, it just seems rather strange that there is zero pictorial proof of it.

If they can take pictures of Key to the Mint's heart to compare it against another stallion's normal-sized heart size, then why not Secretariat's?
Old 06-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #49
letswastemoney

[quote=Psychotic Parakeet;2329417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Russ View Post

I always wondered why no one bothered taking pictures of it from the necropsy. For such an anomaly, it just seems rather strange that there is zero pictorial proof of it.

If they can take pictures of Key to the Mint's heart to compare it against another stallion's normal-sized heart size, then why not Secretariat's?
Maybe the heart size was made up to make Secretariat seem even more legendary.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #50
Thomas Roulston

It is worth nothing that of these two 21st Century Triple Crown winners, one had a Dosage Index above 4.00, and the other was unraced as a 2-year-old.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-17-2018, 05:53 PM   #51
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
You see, I actually sort of agree with Denny on this point...I know it's a rare thing.

I would not be shocked in the slightest to learn someday that Secretariat was juiced to the hilt on steroids. Steroids were already getting into mainstream sports around the time of Secretariat...so who knows?

You think people were above doing that sort of thing back then?
Diane Lane would never do that. Now John Malkovich, maybe.....
Old 06-18-2018, 04:58 AM   #52
highnote

Justify's speed figures were no where near the level of Secretariat's. The pedigree has changed. Horses are bred with less stamina and more speed. Owners want a quick return on investment. The best way to do that is to breed precocious horses that can win early in their careers while they are still two years old. Most of those early two year old races are sprints.

How many stakes races are there nowadays over 9 furlongs?

Justify is the best of his generation, but from a historical perspective he is several cuts below TC winners from earlier eras.

However, he did what was asked of him. He is a worthy champion. Who knows, maybe he just did enough to win? Maybe if there was a faster horse in the race he still would have won?

Last edited by highnote; 06-18-2018 at 05:00 AM.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #53
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
It is worth nothing that of these two 21st Century Triple Crown winners, one had a Dosage Index above 4.00, and the other was unraced as a 2-year-old.
Certainly, that evidence that the Dosage/Experimental people who were extremely influential in the 1980's (Steven Roman, Leon Rasmussen, etc.), were dead wrong.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2018, 07:25 PM   #54
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Certainly, that evidence that the Dosage/Experimental people who were extremely influential in the 1980's (Steven Roman, Leon Rasmussen, etc.), were dead wrong.

How do you figure Roman was dead wrong?
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: